Team Track/Loading Dock
Bruce nice pic's I l like that big wide radiator KW & that trailer with those hydraulic jeep dollies !!!! :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup
BR60103 Wrote:
Mr Fixit Wrote:Did you manage to find out just how heavy the transformer was and what size crane will be used to transfer it from rail to road?
Mark

Don't they just have a half a dozen guys with crowbars pry the thing across?

The ones they unloaded near Palmer Lake when the transformer substation was upgraded were unloaded there on the spur by a rail crane onto a large cribwork of railroad ties that was employed to keep it level and enable it to be raised with huge hydraulic jacks to the height necessary to allow the lowboy to be positioned properly under it. Then it was gradually lowered onto the trailer and secured, towed a couple of miles to the site, and the process was reversed, with a mobile crane now on hand to achieve the final positioning on the pre-constructed concrete foundation.

Somewhere, I may still have the trackside photos I took.

The whole process took two days, and was fantastic to watch as a special team handles moving these things, and they worked like ten men with one mind.
Well there goes BR60103's theory about half a dozen guys and crowbars then. 35

Mountain Man; I must admit that I was anticipating a straight transfer lift from rail car to low boy using one or two mobile cranes, so the crib work and hydraulic jacks was a surprise.

I was wondering if the transformer is transported with or without oil inside?
I wonder if my Dad knows given he worked for SECV for many years [32 years] as a senior engineer/manager.
SECV was the State Electricity Commission Victoria, a semi governmental body tasked with electricity generation, transmission, distribution, supply, and compliance here in Victoria.
Sometimes I cant believe how much I know about electricity generation and supply, easements, buffer zones, land titles and the like, just goes to show how much you can learn from your parents by osmosis. 35
Check out Wikipedia for further information about the SECV and its history.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Went back twice today in the am and again in the early evening, no unloading was done. There was no one around to make any inquires.
Kamerad47 here's several more photos of the Kenworth.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

I am sure that changing a flat tire on that low boy trailer must be a real fun exercise. 35

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Bruce , thanks for the nice pics !!!!!! Big steel nose KW !!! You can see the power unit on the trailer there is a remote box to control it !!!! My guess is they will load it with 2 cranes & move it at night ??? Looks like height & sharp turns are a problem !!! how far is the power plant away ???? That's something I would pack my cooler & watch!!!!! :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup
Mr Fixit Wrote:Well there goes BR60103's theory about half a dozen guys and crowbars then. 35

Mountain Man; I must admit that I was anticipating a straight transfer lift from rail car to low boy using one or two mobile cranes, so the crib work and hydraulic jacks was a surprise.

I was wondering if the transformer is transported with or without oil inside?
I wonder if my Dad knows given he worked for SECV for many years [32 years] as a senior engineer/manager.
SECV was the State Electricity Commission Victoria, a semi governmental body tasked with electricity generation, transmission, distribution, supply, and compliance here in Victoria.
Sometimes I cant believe how much I know about electricity generation and supply, easements, buffer zones, land titles and the like, just goes to show how much you can learn from your parents by osmosis. 35
Check out Wikipedia for further information about the SECV and its history.

Mark

Wasn't possible at the location where the unloading had to take place. If you have Google Earth, take a look at the very small sidings at Palmer Lake, Colorado, and those things are HEAVY! As I understood it, that prevented the crane boom from being extended far enough to used in a straight transfer.
I missed the loading onto the trailer but here are some photos of the transformer secured on the trailer.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice Pic's Bruce !!!!! How far is the move ??? :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup
kamerad47 Wrote:Nice Pic's Bruce !!!!! How far is the move ??? :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup

It is about a 22 mile move. Thanks for the comments.

Bruce
Looks like quite the RR graveyard over there also.
Bruce,
You have posted a very interesting group of photos about this heavy transformer. As I looked at the photos, I did notice what appears in the background to be a GE U18 engine that seems to be painted in a paint scheme used by the Providence and Worcester Railroad. If it is, I have spent many hours in that engine back in the 1977/80 timeline. I was a taking a lot of pictures of the P&W at that time and copies of those photos given to the crews was a juster that gave me an invite to ride as the engine did switching duty in the yard in Worcester,Ma.almost every Sunday afternoon. I also made several trips down to Providence. A fun time back when the railroads were a lot more friendly as to who was on the property
Al Jones
Al,

Thank you, and yes it is the ex PW loco #1801. The Southern RR of New Jersey is still somewhat railfan friendly as long as you check in with them first.

Bruce
While not at the Southern RR of NJ team, these NJ Transit cars were on SRNJ property across from their enginehouse. Two of the cars are loaded on flat cars and are supposed to be going to somewhere in Nevada. One is being cut up and the other two's disposition is unknown.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for posting those very interesting photos. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!