UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
(06-25-2021, 08:32 PM)tompm Wrote: The more I see of the static grass the more I am liking it. Looks great.

Thank you so much Tom Icon_e_biggrin , I like it too, but it was a HUGE step for me. 

After seeing all the great shots Bruce posts I decided the static grass was worth doing, it really adds enough realism to go ahead and do it, well, I think anyways. Kinda expensive at first, sure I could have made the applicator myself, but I went and just bought one Misngth . As for the grass, I went and bought three different sizes, depending on where I would put it, and then ya know I just had to get light, medium and dark grass, and mixed the colors together to try and get a bit more realistic, well, so I think. Really looking forward to doing the North(right) side of the layout, will be a HUGE JOB, but I think that area will really shine the most with the static grass Goldth  ...we'll see. 

Just painted the siding rails, didnt even let it dry before I took pics 35  ...
[Image: ttoGzLi.jpg]

Till Next time...
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Nice shot, Deano, and yes, the static grass really adds to the details. Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Thank you so much Wayne!  Icon_e_biggrin

OK, here I go, off to tackle the biggest/hardest part of the layout, putting static grass on it. This is going to be a bit tough, but I feel the static grass will really help this area shine. It will be a big process, I have to take all the trees, power poles and shrubs off, this will make doing the static grass so much easier. 
I am considering painting in more trees on the background since I will have nothing in the way, not pines, but the leafy type trees, not really sure if its a good decision, would really appreciate some feed back on this, Please. If my painted trees look like crap, please tell me, I have thick skin and I dont want to add them if they dont look good. Criticism helps, doesn't hurt.

OK, here's the last shots of this area pre-static grass...
[Image: Kt8DMTZ.jpg]

[Image: tjrxeST.jpg]

[Image: t8HzSMG.jpg]

[Image: RH2S9Cw.jpg]

[Image: 2tLMKuy.jpg]

[Image: OP6SmOx.jpg]

Till next time...
I am really interested in seeing this after the static grass is done.

BTW how costly is the static grass compared to the "old type" ground cover?
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Impressive details, and yes,  it does want me to find out more about static grass. I like the overall shot too, just a nice sized layout.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Your painted trees look O.K. but you do need more "leafy" trees to break up the Christmas tree farm look. Then again if you are modeling an area where the evergreens are the dominant species then you need more of them.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
As always cheap Chuck has found a video about making your own material for static grass. Now if someone can point me to DrWaynes thread about making the applicator I will have another project to look forward too. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6pyI-DvfU&t=121s

Charlie
You should be able to view it HERE Charlie.

Wayne
Thank you so much for the very kind words guys Icon_e_biggrin

Its been awhile since I have done anything really worth mentioning on the layout, my time has been tied up with my dogs for a bit. Phoebe is ten now, 
[Image: BsvZohy.jpg]
and thank the lord, she is NOT on her last leg or anything, but she is old now, so we have been considering taking on another dog. I never wanted a male dog again, they usually are a bit stubborn, but we were offered a Male long haired German Shepherd...FOR FREE, so I really couldnt pass him up. His name is Rocky, and we rescued him at one year and three weeks old. 
[Image: 6gqTxoL.jpg]
SO, my time has been used up between both the Shepherds. 

Friday, I had off work and finally got to start back on the layout. I know the end result will be worth it but I gotta tell ya, it was tough tearing out all the foliage work I had done. If you look at my last post, you'll see what the, oh, about 14' area I am working on looked like before, and here are the after shots...
[Image: 4IqmEyr.jpg]

[Image: qhEwOgN.jpg]

[Image: GyqwSfl.jpg]

[Image: 6pXiHby.jpg]

[Image: 07cB6HU.jpg]

Sadly, a couple of the power lines parts had busted off, but its an easy fix. I had put the power lines in so good I couldnt take them out without destroying them, so I will have to work around them. I am having the same problem with my pine trees.

**DUE TO AMOUNT OF PICS I CAN POST, THIS IS THE END OF PART ONE
**PART 2

SO, after I took all the trees and brush off, I vacuumed the area off, and proceeded to lay the tape over the track so I wouldnt have to mess with track clean up Misngth .
[Image: ZkoooxQ.jpg]

[Image: eoUsR5c.jpg]

I was really hoping to get around 14' done Friday, HA!, no luck there, but did get about 6.5' done. I used 2-4mm grass along the road, and mixed 4-7mm grass to use on the mountain and the rest of the areas
[Image: ZrEdXIe.jpg]

[Image: 266h9mP.jpg]
Thats as far as I got, it will take a couple days for the glue to fully dry in the basement, then I'll clean up the grass and proceed with the next section. 

I am strongly considering painting hills and more trees on the backdrop since  I have 95% of the trees off. Kinda scared to paint that stuff, but I might give it a try.

Well, thats about it for now Icon_e_biggrin
Coming along nicely!
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Thank you Tom! Icon_e_biggrin

Well, since my last post, I have laid the grass on the side of the tracks closest to the backdrop, and painted a bit of a background too, nothing great, but by the time I fill it with brush and trees I hope it will suffice.
[Image: zdInyYN.jpg]

[Image: CFkDMHj.jpg]

I started placing trees tonight, I think I'll just put in about three more trees, then start filling in areas with brush, shrubs, etc.
[Image: Vf57NEC.jpg]

[Image: WS1zbYu.jpg]

[Image: XDoWugG.jpg]

[Image: RB4EpLh.jpg]

[Image: qbgKNv8.jpg]

Previously this area was pretty full of trees to simulate woods, I am still going for that, but I think I am going to relie on more brush/shrubs, I think it might make for better viewing and pics. Its nice to break up the sight of the train at times, to kind of "hide" it, makes things a bit more interesting, I think. 

SO, about three more trees, some brush, fix the power lines that I had broke a part or two off of, put some cat tails in the creek and I should pretty much be set with this area. After that its on to trying to fiinish up the mountain, but thats a bit down the road Misngth .
Very Nice Deano. Lots of good looking grass. 
Charlie
Nice job on this area. I am impressed with the grass and how good it looks. After seeing this I think I have something else to try.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
That's some nicely-done scenery, Deano.   Applause Applause Applause Applause

Wayne