UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
Nice to see your diesel fleet again, Deano. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Steve...Yes really...!!
I did have a 0-4-0 and a 4-6-2 previous to this, but they were "inherited" from my ol' man's earlier bout with model trains. I still have those engines, but they are slowly desintegrating (zamac "pest"). So, the 4-6-0 was literally MY first engine...
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks guys! Big Grin

UPDATE:
I got all the backdrops painted and up, I still need to fill and paint the screw heads and joining seams on them though Misngth .

I started my mountain two nights ago, had to fix the curve coming out of the tunnel first though, the track seemed to kink a bit somehow on the curve, have no idea how or why :? It wasn't real bad at all, but I felt if I left it sure as heck I would have problems down the line and would hate to tear the mountain up, so fixing it now was a must. After that was squared away I cleaned the track well, covered it with 2'' masking tape and made my "derailing walls", I have been through this enough to know sure as heck cars will sometimes derail in tunnels, and if the space inside is to big you have a heck of a time trying to fish the cars and engine out, the "derailing walls" make things so much easier when things go awry Thumbsup .

I didn't get far as you can see from the pics, but I did get a start. Notice the flat top of the mountain, hmm, could it be a curve on the highway? , a park or campground? or perhaps a place to pull over and sight see, one could only guess at this point Wink .
[Image: DSCN0646_zpsid34pzaa.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0648_zpsxzbrck4d.jpg]
(At least I found a good use for the odd ball small pieces of wood I had left over from building the layout framework)

NOT MY PIC, but this pic was very inspirational for my mountain/river area...
[Image: 55487_zpsluyibtsg.jpg]

Well, I really wont have a river, more like a small creek, but like this pic, it will be close to the tunnel Thumbsup

Till next time, stay on track folks Big Grin
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
UPDATE:
I stopped by Menards this past weekend to get a box of paint sticks, couldn't find them so I asked the kid behind the counter where they had them, ends up they don't sell paint sticks, go figure Nope . He was nice enough to give me 10 of them for free, and told me about a gross of about 40 Cedar shims that just might work for me, so I thanked him and was on my way, ended up working out perfectly, to top it all off they were cedar, a chance they might detour bugs too Thumbsup .

So I ended up making my skeleton frame for the mountain, painting my tunnel portals, and getting rock formations ready on either side of my creek. I think tomorrow is going to be the day I start doing my plastering, and boy do I have a lot to do. From where the tape covers the tracks on one end, all the way to the other end will have plaster covering 95% of the area(about 13') Eek

I love real industrial areas, street running and all, but I opted to go a different route, railroading out in the the middle of nowhere Thumbsup . Sure, that takes away switching opportunities, but a lot of railroading is like that, so I am doing a long stretch of just scenic landscape. I do however plan on making an old highway follow the length of the inside track, and have decided to put one of my two Diners at the top of the mountain overlooking everything, so the whole side of the layout wont be quite so desolate Misngth .

Anyways, pics below will give you an idea of where I am currently at.
[Image: DSCN0654_zpsce5f6jta.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0656_zpsd7xhjm5i.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0659_zpsk1co4tjc.jpg]

Till next time, stay on track! Thumbsup
Coming right along Deano. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Charlie
Hey Deano, are you sure you don't want to finish off the backdrop )or at least the area around the mountain) before you get to plastering?
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Charlie, Thanks! , its just not going fast enough though Wink

Tom, Thanks for the advice Thumbsup , if it was anyone else it would be the smart way to go, but hey, its me Misngth , sure as heck, and yes its already happened :oops: , I'll be repairing the back drop from this project anyways Misngth .

UPDATE:
All week I have been laying plaster, about 13' of it, 5' is mountain, that's 16'' high, and the other 8' is creek and scenery.
I finally am to the point I can start carving out the rocks into the mountain, and one more plastering on the creek should have that finished Applause . After that, some painting, scenery and pouring the water in the creek...all in time though Wink .
[Image: DSCN0662_zpsxypodgfd.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0667_zpsw1bpznn2.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0669_zps34liziuy.jpg]

Till next time, stay on track folks! Thumbsup
Deano

Looks like a great layout you have started here. I look forward to seeing how it progresses and what the future brings.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I just hope there a way to get to the track in there????? Thumbsup
kamerad47 Wrote:I just hope there a way to get to the track in there????? Thumbsup

No worries there....if you go back to the top of this page, you'll see that Deano's taken care of that. Thumbsup

Wayne
Wow, my basement has no windows so it took a week of a fan blowing on all the plaster to get it to finally dry Eek .
After the plaster dried I have started tinkering around with that section of the layout Thumbsup .

I really hate to post this pic as I have only barely scratched the surface of this section, made a lot of mistakes on the area close to the mountain, but easy to fix. I am just trying to give you folks a rough idea of what I am trying to achieve, so please hang in there, its going to get much better Thumbsup . I decided to throw the desert look of out west to the wind and go a little different route, though the rock work isn't finished yet, its getting there, a little more brown and I should have it.

I have saved tons of deciduous trees from past layouts, and have acquired about 30 pines/spruce trees this week also, imagine the ground cover done, trees up on and around the mountain. I placed some strips of two lane highway up to give you an idea of how the highway will follow the inside track, old telephone lines will also follow the inside track as well.
A billboard, and Diner will be on this side of the layout too.

Just wanted you folks to see I was still coming along Wink
[Image: DSCN0723_zpsm6hteb3z.jpg]
Deano, you are off to a great start. Cheers If you want a lot of cheap pine trees don't forget the furnace filter method. They are quick and really look great and cost about a dime each. I even rolled some in glue ans ground up foam and they look like trees with real leaves.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie! Big Grin , They pines I got don't look great, so I'll be gluing them and rolling them in ground foam Thumbsup .

I got a couple cars for my birthday yesterday :mrgreen: , gotta admit, Accurail covered hoppers are cheap, but really look great Thumbsup , excellent value.
[Image: DSCN0730_zps4lztzd5l.jpg]

An Atlas boxcar...
[Image: DSCN0729_zpsrher9n75.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0739_zpszttnslzv.jpg]
Darned nice looking cars. Happy belated Birthday. 548
Here are some pictures of those furnace filter trees. finding the cheap filters is the hard part. I found them at Walmart. I forgot some of the pictures are missing from my layout build.

Charlie
Yeah, a belated 548 Deano.

Wayne