Tapered roadbed
DoctorWayne mentioned sanding cork roadbed down to baseboard level. I had to do this on my layout this year.

I used a piece of extruded styrofoam insulation. I had a piece 2" thick and 2' x 8'. (The 8' is irrelevant).
The rest of the apparatus is 2 wood strips, 1/8"x1"x24", some pins, a Woodland Scenics hot wire cutter and some rulers and pencils. The wood should have a fine grain and be solider than balsa.
I drilled a bunch of holes in the wood strip. I needed a ramp to go from 3/16" to 0" in 2 feet. I marked the one side at 3/16" and pinned one end of the strip. Then I pinned the other end right at the edge. Then repeat on the other side. I re-checked the 3/16" with a piece of wood.
Note that if there is a grain it needs to go the same way on both sides and best towards the narrow end.
Now take the hot wire tool and side it down the side of the wood. You now have a ramp.
If the ram needs a curve, it can be cut into so that it bends.

Notes:
I finally found some basswood strips. I had balsa, but the hot wire cuts into it and shaves bits off the edges. I couldn't get basswood longer than 24"; the balsa was 36". I painted the edges of the strips with clear finish and then sanded then.

I also needed to extend some 1x2 girders to support backdrops. I had some foam packing that was in 3/4" or 1" thickness and some L-girders with 1x2 wood. I clamped the foam between the L-girders with the edge level with the bottom of the L, the cut it with the hot wire.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.