Hi Folks, new kid on the block
Hi folks. My name is Catweasel and I found this forum courtesy of Shortliner. I'm also in the UK. I am starting out on a shortline layout,no name yet, but I have a couple of Louiseville & Nashville loco's so that may give you some clues as to location. The track plan was drawn up by Shortliner. I've started laying out the track and it will be DCC with servo's for the turnouts.I'm getting the hang of some language terms I think. Size isn't huge,long side 10 feet overall and the "L" is 4x2 feet. The Domestic Authorities decreed that the railway ( or in this case,road) should be in a separate room,so a 10x6 foot building was put up in the garden. Looking forward to this.Never built an American layout before. Regards.

[Image: Short%20Line_zpspqxyhrwc.gif]
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Welcome ....I'm sure you'll enjoy you stay . Lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you out if necessary . I like your point-to-point railroad , building one myself . Thumbsup

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Point to point is a lot of fun I think. Don't remember ever having done a roundy round. I would welcome suggestions on ballasting the line though, seeing as I want to suggest a somewhat down at heel southern line. Wiring is also going to be interesting with a live frog diamond in the middle of it.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Welcome aboard Catweasel. I am located in the southeast side of Ohio, USA and model a freelance version of PRR. Glad you climbed on board. A lot of useful information and a great bunch of modelers and train lovers from all over the world.
Charlie
Welcome Catweasel. As a former L&N employee, it's nice to see someone else thinking about modeling "The Old Reliable". Now that I've managed to get my model railroad right of way back, I'm again starting to work on the layout. Plan has been to represent a freelance L&N industrial spur, but I'm also thinking about the layout (20ft x 18in) representing the end of one of the now abandoned L&N branch lines, such as the Lancaster, Springfield, or Scottsville branches that terminated in small towns. Since my modeled era will be between 1978 and 1984, trains would be short and only a few small industries served.

There were many industrial spurs on the L&N in cities and towns served by the line before CSX made the L&N vanish, but none that I'm aware of that had trackwork as complicated as your plan. I'm a firm believer that simple is best and you can have a very interesting layout with only a few switches serving a handful of industries. Just keep in mind prototype operational practices. You'd be surprised how long it takes to work even a very small, simple looking layout. If you aren't already aware of the work done by Lance Mindheim, I highly recommend spending some time reading his blog http://lancemindheim.com/ or looking at some of his layout plans and ideas.

Regardless, it's your layout and you can do it anyway you want. Main thing - have fun!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Hi Hugh - nice to see you made it across, and to see the track plan - have fun. The guys on here don't bite!
Hi Jack. It's your fault for posting the link to this brilliant forum. The name's Henry by the way.
Whoops - that's what happens when you reply to somebody on one forum and then switch across to another - especially when you get old - my apologies for getting it wrong - but glad to see that you are finding this one interesting too !
Welcome to Big Blue, Catweasel.
The tv show by that name used to freak me out as a kid, still I recognised the name, so the scars must still be there. 35
We seem to be developing quite a UK division to our operation here.
I see that shortliner hasn't introduced you to the wonders of adding a GERN facility to your planned operation, for 3% more of everything.
GERN for 3% better operations, 3% more profit per operating session, 3% better viewing of your hobby, 3% more operating time before the nagging begins, :hey:
For a good chuckle, grab a favourite beverage and snack, Popcornbeer then head on over to the index to search out GERN.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Welcome Catweasel. The plan looks good. What brand of tracks will you use?
Reinhard
Welcome Henry, make yourself at home!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I'm using Peco Code 75 track,because a; it's familiar to me and b; it suits the feel of a lighter road I think. I've always tended to use a light rail because my interests have been industrial and 2 ft. narrow gauge. I've made a start on track laying and it won't be long before I can ply trains. I'll rephrase that. Start test running! I became known as Catweasel back in the day when I had long hair and by long,I mean long. It reached my knees.
Basigstoke, another one of those crazy English place names. Is that spelt correctly?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Sorry, no, should be spelt Basingstoke. I've got a couple of sticky keys on the laptop. Another way I spell it is Stayingbroke.
Welcome to the Big Blue and looking forward to seeing the plan come to life.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643