Noooooo .....Not on FRESH water !!!!

Over 160 years ago the Schooner Yacht America ( the model of it, above ) won the first of what became the " America's Cup Race" for over 160 Years, once every four years, that race has been rerun, always on Salt water.
This year the race will run again, but this time on Lake Michigan, just off the Chicago shore. The first time ever on Fresh Water.
The vessels have changed over the years, from the schooners, to Twelve Meter yachts, to ( another first ) Catamarans.....
On Hydrofoils !! Confusedhock: I have seen a few "previews" of the Cats, up on the foils of one of the two hulls, with the crew all standing on the rail of the hull out of the water, leaning straight out held by lines, apparently from the top of the mast.
OK it may not be on Salt Water, but I have a feeling that this year will be the most spectacular "cup race" EVER.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
That would be the race to watch.. Cheers I been fishing Lake Erie for 30 years and never seen a schooner like Yacht America .

Just seeing one would be like a trip back in time.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I'm still working on getting a sweatshirt with the slogan
"Lake Michigan...
Needs more Salt"
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I lost interest in the race when they went to the two hulls and a mast and called it a yacht. Those things are not a boat or a ship and they certainly aren't a yacht.
Eek Crazy Nope
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I lost interest in the race when they went to the two hulls and a mast and called it a yacht. Those things are not a boat or a ship and they certainly aren't a yacht.
Eek Crazy Nope

Mike,On the lakes they are known as sailing vessels.. Never was sure where those fits in the grand scheme though..I suspect they might be just above any sport fishing boat which is on the bottom of the list..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Ineresting. I am trying to think of other fresh water lakes that could potentially host a race like this.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Larry those are way beneath a sport fishing boat which is at least useful and can be used to feed yourself. Goldth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
If it's a multiple-hull boat and on fresh water...it's NOT a Cup America... Curse
Gus (LC&P).
nachoman Wrote:Ineresting. I am trying to think of other fresh water lakes that could potentially host a race like this.

Any of the Great Lakes. Lake Winnipeg. Great Slave.

What is the length of the race?

Andrew
The course length varies, race to race, but is usually close to 12 statute miles. There is no fixed "shape" of the course, but it is laid out to provide the greatest "testing" of the crews sailing skills, in the waters it is run in.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:The course length varies, race to race, but is usually close to 12 statute miles. There is no fixed "shape" of the course, but it is laid out to provide the greatest "testing" of the crews sailing skills, in the waters it is run in.

The lakes can test season sailors skills and been known to make season salt water sailors (aka salties) seasick during a violent storm.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:The lakes can test season sailors skills and been known to make season salt water sailors (aka salties) seasick during a violent storm.

Given the choice, I would take a kayak into a category 3 Hurricane on the Atlantic Ocean, before I'd take anything on Lake Michigan, in a thunderstorm. I'm sure the other Great Lakes, have their "ugliness" at times of storm.
Are The New York Yacht Club going to have any say about the rules and timing of this race series? 35

Those pirates ran the most crooked of regattas till 1983 when a chubby crook from Perth, Downunder named Alan Bond and his band of pirates on Australia II came along and beat them at their own game. Winged keels rule!!

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More