Operating Lionel cars, post war.
I have a question for someone about these cars. When I place them on the uncoupling/unloading track when I use the unloading button the coils to the couplers energize also and draw power from the operating solenoids. Is this normal or is there something going on I should look at. These cars are from 1948, the year before magnetic couplers. I haven't been able to locate a simple explanation of how the uncoupling/unloading track is supposed to work. Anything would be a help.

Thanks.
Charlie
Charlie, which operating cars and remote control track are you using?
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
Robert, I have the 3451 lumber car, the 3462 milk car and the RCS uncouple/unloader track. As I understand things the uncoupler runs in series through both pick up shoes, while the unloader circuit goes from a shoe, through the solenoid and then to the ground, or outside rail direct. activating the unloader shouldn't activate both shoe rails should it?
Charlie
I can't put this all in words but I think it is wired wrong. The control button is pressed part way down and one activates and when pressed all the way down the other activates. This is the wiring diagram and the track section.

[Image: P1020344.jpg]

[Image: P1020345.jpg]

I hope this helps.
Robert
Thanks Robert, Everything is wired the right way, I think the cars may be the problem. I will check them out after the holiday.
Happy New Year.
Charlie
Hi Robert. I got into this today, took apart the controller (which was supposed to be rewired by a TCA member that knew his stuff) and found the worst job of soldering I have ever seen. I took it apart and soldered the wires properly but still have problems getting the thing to work right. In the picture you show (pointed to by red arrow,) is that an insulating block. If so I am missing this. and the bottom contact on the one side appears to be bent so contact can't be made on that side. If you aren't sure it's easy enough for me to try. I can make an insulation block easy enough. EDIT I found an instruction and drawing and indeed it is insulated and the one contact bent.

Thanks for your time.
Have a great year.
I finally found my stash of old Lionel How to Operate sheets. I do not have one for the RCS but do have one for a no. 6019 which is a newer version of the RCS. I think it is the same but with an electric magnet in the center for the new magnetic couplers. Under UNLOADING OPERATING CARS it has a "note" which reads.

If your operating car is equipped with "eletro-magnetic" couplers, pushing the "Unload" button will also open one of the couplers of the car. This is normal action and does not mean that the car or the coupler is defective. To recouple the car after unloading simply back up your locomotive for an instant.

So I think that there is nothing wrong with your operating track or cars. Just seems to be the way it was made to work.
Robert
Thanks Robert, there was nothing wrong with the cars, but needing a good cleaning. The remote switch however was not working properly because of the insulator missing and everything was activating at once. after doing the adjustments to the switch, and insulating the two contacts as shown it works like new.
Charlie
Charlie:
Not only does that little thingy insulate, it pushes strip 3 down onto strip 4.

I remember puzzling my way through that diagram once before. I never had anything with coil couplers; by the time I started they were only on expensive cars like the aluminum passenger cars.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Charlie:
Not only does that little thingy insulate, it pushes strip 3 down onto strip 4.
Robert, I realized that the minute I saw that drawing, and the other side can't hit the ground or it shorts. My couples are the old coils, not the magnetic. Now everything works as it should but still a lot of minor cleaning to do. This is the set I had as a kid, but a year older so the couplers are different. Mine were the magnetic ones. I am tickled just the same. It will be a treasure under the tree next year.
Charlie