Farewell to the AEM-7 ---- Excursion Train
Amtrak Excursion June 18, 2016

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://m.amtrak.com/mt/www.amtrak.com/farewell-to-the-aem7-excursion-train">https://m.amtrak.com/mt/www.amtrak.com/ ... sion-train</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Hotel reservation and airline tickets are booked.
Wave as you go by Crumm Lynne... That should be me on the platform taking pics Smile Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Would love to take that trip, but the commute to get there makes it out of the question. We have nothing like this around this part of the country. They're talking about maybe one between Phoenix and Tucson, but that's just talk, gee, wouldn't it be great if they turned to steam to do it?

Good luck, I hope you'd get a chance to ride the excursion train rather than just watch it fly by.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Well, they have my money. I just hope I can book the trip in time. Its going to suck going down to Washington, only to come BACK up to Philadelphia (near home), to then be whisked away back down south.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Well, they have my money. I just hope I can book the trip in time. Its going to suck going down to Washington, only to come BACK up to Philadelphia (near home), to then be whisked away back down south.
I thought of that too..... Living near Ridley Park, I would have to go to Phila... get a train to DC (past my house) ... then after the excursion (past my house both NB & SB) then get another train from DC back to Phila (past my house again) I then would still have to get yet another train from Phila to home Eek Eek Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I haven't decided yet if I'm riding or photographing.
They claim to have photo opportunities. Definitely also going for the shop tour. Only crappy thing is that the only amtrak train arriving in time that morning leaves Philadelphia at 4:32 in the morning. The next train doesn't arrive until just after the excursion leaves !
For the record, there is at least one Amtrak AEM-7 still in service, leased to MARC for its Penn Line commuter trains:

[Image: 26094958473_a15088e5f0_z.jpg]Amtrak946BaltimoreMD4-6-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr
Well, its done. I'm definitely going. Should be worth it!

Besides, I didn't do any special train trips last year, so this makes up for it.

This one is already in a museum with a few of my other Favorite electrics.

[Image: P8230953.jpg]
just so you Philly guys know, the excursion is heading north from Hawthorne station. (MP 103). two aem7s with the beech grove car on the rear.
I took some pics.. Smile But you already knew I would Big Grin

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I ended up shooting instead of riding. Will have photos later in the week. Won't be home until Monday night.
Forgot to mention, Amtrak ran an extra with 642, 145, 42, and four cars that I caught in Perryville later in the evening.
those were at Wilmington for the open house. they left fast, I noticed they were gone on my return trip.