doctorwayne's Get off yer duff Challenge (Part III)
Wayne, even when you point out the flaws I don't see them. Once painted I won't notice for sure. That is a great looking model.
Charlie
I dose make sense that the MEK messed with the bond of the CA ,,,it is a solvent. Once you have the car decaled and weathered no one will ever notice it in a passing train. 8-)

Now if that is what happened you can use that discovery to your advantage. Ever fasten some delicate detail with CA, then notice that it's in the wrong place after it dries? Eek The MEK may allow you to remove it without damage.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
You may be right, Steve. I think that the slipperiness of the metal may have played a part in things, too, but I did manage to remove the most offensive areas where things went wrong. Another thing I learned was that the MEK was an effective decal setting solution even on plastic when applied quickly and sparingly, as that's how I treated the rivet decals on the styrene batten strip at the car's eaves and on the upper door track. I wouldn't, however, use it on regular lettering-type decals.
I'll Glosscote the car either Friday night or Saturday, and after it's cured for a day or two, apply the lettering. When that's all in place and fully dried, another Glosscote, then a final coat of either Dullcote or perhaps a very low-sheen semi-gloss, and just a little weathering...after all, it'll be a relatively new car in the operating era of my layout.
It's a rather tedious method of building a steel car, though, but I'll treat it as a learning experience and I don't think that the car will be too much of an embarrassment once it's done.

We'll see what I can learn with the next car, a NC&StL single sheathed Fowler boxcar. I have all of the material on-hand...actually more than I planned, as Special Shapes (in Chicago) had a minimum order of $25.00, and in my efforts to meet that, I went somewhat over the minimum. I was a little cheesed-off, though as I ordered Zed-bar and they sent me Zee-bar. It'll work okay on the Dixieland car, I guess, but may cause problems if I attempt to use it on a couple of home-road cars.

Wayne
The painted carbody got several light coats of airbrushed Glosscote, and after drying for several days the lettering, from Speedwitch Media, was applied. I cut out the decals as closely as possible to the image, including the script-type slogan, and separated the words, too.
After the decals were set and completely dry, the entire car got several more very light airbrushed applications of Glosscote, (pretty-much a continuous process, as the light coats dry very quickly). I then airbrushed the car with several similar applications of Dullcote, then applied weathering. The photo was taken before adding the cut levers, but it's now completed.

The Seaboard's first 1,000 car lot of these 1932 ARA cars was built in 1934, and had no slogans, while the second 1,000 car lot was built in 1937, and those cars came with the slogan shown. As the cars of the first lot came due for re-weigh (the specified interval at that time was every 30 months), the cars were repainted with the new slogan added. By the look of the photos I've seen, this appears to have been a complete re-painting, as the re-weigh data is not on what's usually a patch of fresh paint over the previous data.
My car, shown below supposedly sometime in 1939, therefore has been weathered fairly lightly, as the paint is just over 1½ years old.

[Image: SCRATCHBUILT%20SEABOARD%201932%20ARA%20B...%20069.jpg]

Next up will be the NC&StL Fowler boxcar, perhaps with a couple of friends from my home road. Wink

Wayne
Thumbsup Applause
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Nicely done sir.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks, guys. Goldth

It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but the lessons learned from it are valuable, and I'm not overly embarrassed by showing it.

Wayne
Great work Doc---if you're not happy I'll gladly take it off your hands
Thanks, Ed, I'll keep that in mind. Crazy

Wayne
Speechless Thumbsup Applause Worship Cheers

Cheers Lutz