MWaz Get off your duff challenge
#91
Doc, I’m not sure what your referring to about “magnets” on 3/24. I went back and checked that date and I don’t see anything mentioning that and I don’t recall doing anything with magnets. Am I missing something?

Mark
Reply
#92
Sorry, Mark...my mistake.  I was looking at Lutz' (Schraddel's) post of March 24.  In his photo 6th down, it appears as if he's used rare earth magnets as a drive shaft.

Wayne
Reply
#93
Next part of re-doing the pickups was turning up some 00-90 washers, 4 to be exact.


[Image: 76B0300A-F029-4519-A239-B3D210C54476_zps6mrlg44n.jpeg]

Then solder some decoder wire to the washers. I made two with black wire and 2 with red wire. Here is an example of one of the black leads I soldered together.


[Image: 56138F2A-129F-4F16-9010-323CC7A59155_zpsyjds7stz.jpeg]

The I added them to the Keisel trucks.

[Image: 8FFCF7D6-6608-460C-88D3-74509FAE4A0A_zpsmdtl8v6g.jpeg]

Bottom view:

[Image: 8B1E9FEB-6F4D-413A-B5D7-72AFEF840716_zpst1egdjaa.jpeg]

Here are the trucks installed on the base of the tender.

[Image: 241196FC-4823-4571-8868-BCF5E3B3AA62_zpsh2wgqyco.jpeg]

I'm toying with an idea of using a NMRA 8 pin plug and socket for installing the decoder. Will see about that. I've been wanting to try that for a while.
Reply
#94
I think today the socket for my DCC plug will be in the mail(maybe tomorrow). Over time, the leads on the TCS decoder I've been using have shortened up, so I sat down to today and removed the short old leads and soldered on new ones. I soldered back on new leads of about 4 inches.

[Image: BC338ED3-42FE-4A1A-83BF-DC523062E187_zpszdldaasn.jpeg]

This is the underside of decoder with new leads solder on.

[Image: A4F6E61A-21D5-45DD-AEFC-1928E4D6DBFC_zpscso93qpn.jpeg]

Once the new leads were on, I tested them on my decoder checker.

[Image: 749D95D6-191B-4C68-8561-E233801B8410_zpsn2t8s4f1.jpeg]

Everything tested OK Thumbsup  .

Found these on eBay and decided to give them a try.

[Image: D663EBC9-F69F-44E1-A5E7-756A4FCB9F40_zpsjkez6wzj.jpeg]

Here's a completed shot of the new plug installed to the wire harness.


[Image: 99B03B0F-299C-43E6-86FC-B084E9EEFF07_zps1yhk9pcp.jpeg]

[Image: 17FB69F9-247A-4435-9A66-299821FA4766_zpsszaz7arr.jpeg]

I wrapped electrical tape around decoder to protect the new solder connections.

Hopefully this will make a cleaner decoder install.
Reply
#95
So, I've been wanting to get along with this decoder installation but I discovered I ran out of the shrink tube that I like to use. I use shrink tube from Miniatronics that comes in 10" lengths. Had to order some to continue.

Here is how the decoder and frame of tender sit after some double sided tape was used.


[Image: IMG_1045_zpsjcpxtsah.jpg]

I used this Loksound product with NMRA DCC socket and harness.

[Image: IMG_1066_zpsinfz7phs.jpg]


With some styrene I made up this little mount to install the socket and harness


[Image: IMG_1067_zpstegbxvtc.jpg]

I installed the mount on the rear of the tender and added some styrene tubing to help with wire management.

[Image: IMG_1069_zps2sbiwjyi.jpg]

I was able to re-install the Miniatronics 4 pin socket that connects with drive side of the locomotive.

[Image: IMG_E1077_zpskeanxxvj.jpg]

I do not have the lighting side of the decoder installation done. Maybe tomorrow night. When I tested the unit on the test track it tested good. And you can notice a big difference in sound with the use of the Bachmann trucks over the Bowser trucks. Much, much quieter.


[/url]





[url=https://s1081.photobucket.com/user/bowser0227/media/IMG_1066_zpsinfz7phs.jpg.html]
Reply
#96
I had a chance this morning to finish off lighting circuit again on the H9.

I used the same styrene round tubing to slip the Miniatronics 2 socket harness through for some wire management and glued(CA) it on top of the rectangular tubing I used for 4 socket harness.

[Image: IMG_1131_zpsl8bp46hu.jpg]

I substituted 4 nylon 2/56 screws for the brass ones that come with the kit to secure the base to the tender.

[Image: IMG_1138_zpskorkreq2.jpg]

And gave everything a test.

[Image: IMG_1139_zpsjfuk7qii.jpg]


[Image: IMG_1140_zpsjpapnont.jpg]

I've been really impressed at how quiet the locomotive is now with the Bachmann trucks and the NWSL can motor. I still wish there was a little more top end speed, though. It's topping out at 47 scale mph. I think 60 would be a bit more where I'd like to be at.

I did notice today that I forgot to paint the new tender base black. Its suppose to be in the 50's over the weekend here so I might give it a shot then.

I'd like to give the H9 test up at the club to see how it preforms, too. Then figure out what to do next.
[url=https://s1081.photobucket.com/user/bowser0227/media/IMG_1140_zpsjpapnont.jpg.html][/url]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)