Old AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 upgrading
Next was testing the Loco on the layout:

[Image: dsc018280ws7r.jpg]
Look good, but there is still something missing.

[Image: dsc0182980sfv.jpg]
It looks like more grown up in comparison with a Bachmann-Spectrum 4-6-0, not more so blown up caused by oversized stack and headlantern.
The results of test running result in a not so smooth running of the loco. It showed a tendency to rear up under load because the trachtion tires were placed on the last driving axle. It also causes a little irregular running and no constant velocity. Curse traction tires, i got tired of them. As there a no wheels without traction tires availabe, i decided to replace the wheels with the traction tires onto the first driving axle.

[Image: dsc01830vnu58.jpg]
The missing link, more exact the link between the steam chest and valve gear. In this special case the parts which were visible from the outside.
This figure out of brass and nickel silver will become part of the linkage. There is a rest of an overhead catenary, a rest of a etching frame which once held etched parts and a 0,8 mm brass wire.

[Image: dsc01831qtuui.jpg]
Filed some levers according to prototype photos.

[Image: dsc01833pnuqz.jpg]
And fixed them.

[Image: dsc0183564ulc.jpg]

[Image: dsc01836rzuxj.jpg]
Meanwhile the loco was partly painted. Wheels and domes dark red, and other parts matte black.

[Image: dsc018377fulw.jpg]
More control photos from the angle the model will be seen mostly.

[Image: dsc018388guqc.jpg]
There is this relatve huge gap between loco and tender which will have to be closed.

Cheers Lutz
Testing,
for the second time:

[Image: dsc01839rhud2.jpg]
The loco runs much smoother now, no binds, no rearing up. Of course the traktive force now is not as much as before, but these old time 4-4-0's were not the best pullers. It will be enough for 8 to 10 cars on even terrain.

From this:
[Image: dsc000510fu70.jpg]

To this:
[Image: dsc01840p2u2j.jpg]
Still something to do, but she runs now and is running very good.

Cheers Lutz
Hallo, please a question off topic, however long time in my head.
Because is saying about a loco "... but she runs now." Because "SHE"?
A loco is an item and so it shoul be "it", I think?
This is not the only time of this manner to write about a loco. In a video about the 611 was said also - She is a beaty!
Thanks for your tutoring in English!

Lutz, please do not say that the loco is written in German also "die Lokomotive", therefore a feminine word. There can not be the reason for the English spelling!
However, well done model! And where is the train for "it"?
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I'm uncertain on the origin of English language useage of "she" when referring to (usually) mechanical stuff, but I think it goes way back:
"With a good wind behind 'er, she'll do 20 knots." or "She's in rough shape now, but she's been a dependable car for sure."

My Canadian dictionary offers one definition of "she" as "a thing regarded as female, e.g. a vehicle or ship.", so it's ingrained in the language, as my examples were given before I looked it up. Crazy

I'd also assumed that this useage would be relatively common throughout most languages, too, but of course, many, like German or French, do ascribe a sex to various nouns, either through variations in spelling of the same word or through the use of different articles. Most inanimate objects in German, I think, do have the genderless "das" in addition to the masculine "der" and feminine "die", as in "das Boot" (the boat).

Perhaps it's simply a foible of English....my car is a "she", but I don't go so far as to name stuff like that, although many do.

Wayne
Then there's "Beeg Boy" to add to the confusion 35

[Image: b2891cae-2550-4a9a-a534-6639e2940fa6_zpshklxhor4.jpg]
Ed, he/she/it's starting to look more like "Blue Boy" on my monitor. Crazy Misngth

Wayne
Doc, thank you very much for your extended explanation. It's my problem that I never visited the USA or Canada or intensively also Great Brittain except traveling as a tourist for some hours only, so I'm missing each personal "experience" in use of English language.
Thanks, your answer is very welcome and will help!
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The traditional speech/prayer at the launching of a ship ends "and all who sail in her." I think even ships named after admirals and princes are called she.
There is, somewhere, an explanation of why a locomotive is "she". It is not politically correct and should not be read to your wife unless she is in an extremely good mood.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
She is and she knows that locomotives are not a competitor also if I'm love them.
Cheers, Bernd

Quick question about your 4-4-0 how were you able replace the front trucks wheels? I've been wanting to replace the deep flanges on mine for a long time but haven't been able to

Priza
(04-11-2017, 10:15 AM)modelsof1900 Wrote: Hallo, please a question off topic, however long time in my head.
Because is saying about a loco "... but she runs now." Because "SHE"?
A loco is an item and so it should be "it", I think?
This is not the only time of this manner to write about a loco. In a video about the 611 was said also - She is a beaty!
Thanks for your tutoring in English!

For as long as sailors sailed the sea...  "Vessels" of any type were referred to as "She"
The reason is She refers to "as a woman"
Any machine anywhere - Cars, Bikes, Computers, Ships, Trains...etc...  Possess the following qualities at any given moment:

They are moody.......... Something worked last time, but it just doesn't want to now
They have attitudes...  Try and run, sail, steer, someone else's "regular ride" and you'll see...
They are frustrating.... (see moody)  They "just don't want to work correctly" 
When you treat them right, they'll always be happy & productive and stress free.

Any engineer from prototype to models will tell you, every engine, car, bike etc. has her own definition of running perfectly.  If you stray from this thin gray area, it's never good.  Most times this results in letting all the "magic smoke" out...  Never a good thing!!!  

There are many railroad stories that have an element in them of a time that an engineer had to switch engines and She just didn't like another engineer touching her  Smile  Smile  Smile 

Other times, an engineer returned to "his engine" and he could tell someone else ran her.
This winds it's way down to when you have your car worked on, at a service center...  The seat is adjusted wrong, whatever loose things you may have in there are moved....  It's just a bit frustrating that you have to set everything right.

Hope this helped  Smile  Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
(12-25-2023, 07:56 PM)Priza Wrote: Quick question about your 4-4-0 how were you able replace the front trucks wheels? I've been wanting to replace the deep flanges on mine for a long time but haven't been able to

Priza

Welcome to Big Blue. Unfortunately, modelsof1900 hasn't been logged on here in over five years so there's no way of knowing if he's coming back. Maybe someone else can help you with this issue. Let's hope so....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The locomotive is looking good. Keep up the good work.
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
(01-06-2024, 04:00 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(12-25-2023, 07:56 PM)Priza Wrote: Quick question about your 4-4-0 how were you able replace the front trucks wheels? I've been wanting to replace the deep flanges on mine for a long time but haven't been able to

Priza

Welcome to Big Blue. Unfortunately, modelsof1900 hasn't been logged on here in over five years so there's no way of knowing if he's coming back. Maybe someone else can help you with this issue. Let's hope so....

Hello,

Bernd has it's own website: https://us-modelsof1900.de/?p=77

Lutz