Hi! I'm New Here with a Small Layout
Hi, very nice work indeed. Can I ask what you used for the building and 2 tanks in your photo of Oroweat Bakery - it has possibilities for an alternative industry that I am considering. TIA
Your Bakery could get airslide hoppers for flour & sugar, tank cars for oils & plug door boxcars for sending products out. So it could be a very busy place to switch all by itself.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Andy, absolutely right! I was able to find info and switch lists for the actual prototype bakery online. It was a regional supplier, so bulk grain in and processed grain and finished goods out. Plus tankers and boxes. On the model I have 2 spots for boxes and grain hoppers, a spot for loading airslides, and a spot to unload tankers. Of course those spots all overlap in my limited space.

Here's the first spot, with the hopper unloading grates and tanker hoses visible at the tracks

Spot 2, occupied in this pic, is used for loading airslides with processed grain, unloading bulk grain into grates on the ground, and boxes at the dock

The entire facility (including my feeble attempt to shop in a sky)

Shortliner, those buildings are .060 styrene and the tanks are .020 styrene. To make the tanks I started by dipping the styrene in boiling water and forming it around a wooden dowel, but that didn't work at all. I ended up just wrapping the styrene around the dowel while I glued it. I used scrap pieces as bracing inside to help keep its shape. I'm putting together a video on the bakery build, I'll post that soon. Thanks for your interest!
Thanks Joseph - the photos of the area are very useful - The area I was specifically interested in possibly re-purposing is this piece and I wondered if the tanks were from a kit or scratched, and also the origin of the building, ie kit or scratched

Very nice. Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
That is excellent scratch build modeling. I am really impressed Thumbsup
Reinhard
[quote="ApartmentModelRRer"]Andy, absolutely right! I was able to find info and switch lists for the actual prototype bakery online. It was a regional supplier, so bulk grain in and processed grain and finished goods out. Plus tankers and boxes. On the model I have 2 spots for boxes and grain hoppers, a spot for loading airslides, and a spot to unload tankers. Of course those spots all overlap in my limited space.

Those overlapping loading/unloading spots will keep the switching crew busy! You might even think about using a trackmobile to do all the internal switching. You could use that spur going above & to left for that switching.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
shortliner Wrote:Thanks Joseph - the photos of the area are very useful - The area I was specifically interested in possibly re-purposing is this piece and I wondered if the tanks were from a kit or scratched, and also the origin of the building, ie kit or scratched

Yes everything you see in the photo is scratchbuilt. Both tanks were done using .020 styrene sheet. On the blue tank I scribed panels line before gluing, the white tank I used .010x.030 styrene strips to make the ribs. The railings and ladders were leftovers from a kitbash.

The structure is made from .060 styrene sheet, the windows are Grandt Line.

The base is 13 inches long and 3 1/4 inches wide. The building is 12 1/2 inches long, with the cut out for the two tanks measuring 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.

Hope this helps with your build shortliner!
lajry Wrote:
ApartmentModelRRer Wrote:Andy, absolutely right! I was able to find info and switch lists for the actual prototype bakery online. It was a regional supplier, so bulk grain in and processed grain and finished goods out. Plus tankers and boxes. On the model I have 2 spots for boxes and grain hoppers, a spot for loading airslides, and a spot to unload tankers. Of course those spots all overlap in my limited space.

Those overlapping loading/unloading spots will keep the switching crew busy! You might even think about using a trackmobile to do all the internal switching. You could use that spur going above & to left for that switching.

In the future I hope to extend the bakery out about 16 inches. That will give me room to park 4 cars inside the gate, plus have room to model some of the processing and loading equipment and the bakery store that was onsite. A Trackmobile would be great for swapping cars and pulling out empties. I'll send that up to management!
ApartmentModelRRer Wrote:Andy, absolutely right! I was able to find info and switch lists for the actual prototype bakery online. It was a regional supplier, so bulk grain in and processed grain and finished goods out. Plus tankers and boxes. On the model I have 2 spots for boxes and grain hoppers, a spot for loading airslides, and a spot to unload tankers. Of course those spots all overlap in my limited space.

Food for thought.

While you may do as you wish and for what it may be worth, you may wish to reconsider that since your layout looks fairly modern. The General Mills plant at Martel(Oh) only receives covered hoppers.

My old 77/78 era Pillsbury plant used to receive covered hoppers of flour and sugar.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
ApartmentModelRRer Wrote:
shortliner Wrote:Thanks Joseph - the photos of the area are very useful - The area I was specifically interested in possibly re-purposing is this piece and I wondered if the tanks were from a kit or scratched, and also the origin of the building, ie kit or scratched

Yes everything you see in the photo is scratchbuilt. Both tanks were done using .020 styrene sheet. On the blue tank I scribed panels line before gluing, the white tank I used .010x.030 styrene strips to make the ribs. The railings and ladders were leftovers from a kitbash.

The structure is made from .060 styrene sheet, the windows are Grandt Line.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

The base is 13 inches long and 3 1/4 inches wide. The building is 12 1/2 inches long, with the cut out for the two tanks measuring 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Hope this helps with your build shortliner!

Joseph - that is great info - I really appreciate it and look forward to further postings from you
If anyone has any suggestions on adding an avatar I would appreciate the help. The jpeg file becomes too tiny to see, and as you can see with my current avatar, a gif file is very grainy. What am I missing here?

Thanks