Glen's diesel rebuild thread
Looking good Glen Thumbsup . I'm heading to the paint booth soon with the gp30 build I've been working on. Little nervous about the 2 color paint scheme I have to do on them. Will be my first attempt at paint job like that Crazy . So I'm glad you mentioned you had a little bleed through but fixable. Always seems like I have to do things multiple times till I get it to look or operate acceptable.

Mark
Hi Mark. I have been following your Geep build, sorry I haven't commented. I use Tamiya masking tape for my masking, it seems to be the best for sealing the edges against bleed-under. I burnish the edges down with a q-tip as well, a trick I learned when I built model cars many years ago. I also apply the paint in several light coats so the paint (acrylic) will dry before it gets the chance to bleed under.
Thanks for sharing the tip on the Q-tip, I'll give that a try. I already have the Tamiya tape on hand. I've also read that if you airbrush away from the tape edge that bleeding is less likely. Haven't given it a try yet, though.

Mark
I finished decaling the FA-2 today:
[Image: DSCF7055_zps20sceixx.jpg]
I first masked the shell and painted the ladders and pilot black, then sprayed everything in Glosscote so that the decals would adhere better. I used a set of Canadian Pacific Cab locomotive decals from Black Cat. They are fairly thin and fragile so patience is required.
[Image: DSCF7056_zpsf3pzyhtn.jpg]
I think the hardest part were the three stripes on the nose. On other manufacturers set that come as one decal, on these they come as three separate decals that are too long and have to be cut and spliced together.
[Image: DSCF7057_zps03gdrwsd.jpg]
I resprayed the engine in dulcote. There's a bit of touch up on the paint I have to do but it's pretty much finished up to adding some details and the window glass.
[Image: DSCF7058_zpssxasol3d.jpg]
one last thing I did today was to spray the grabs from the red CP shell in primer, I'll paint them yellow next and install them.
I installed the side grabs today.
[Image: DSCF7060_zpsjbywd4l7.jpg]
I had to airbrush them in Scalecoat CPR yellow as I don't have that color in acrylic. I have to custom bend some grabs for over the cab windows yet, and install the horn and glass but other than that it's almost ready.
Lookin' good, Glen! Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne
I finished off the body this afternoon

[Image: 2017910204757_DSCF7069.JPG]

I added the grabs over the windshield, the horns, and the glass

[Image: 2017910205644_DSCF7070.JPG]

Now it's just waiting for the chassis to be finished. That's over at a friend's house getting the DCC decoder installed. I still have to paint the crew and weather the engine but it's pretty much done now.
Glen:
Picture of a near relative of your loco. Location: Perth. Time: 1959.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks David, that's the right year, but on the wrong side of the country! On the other hand Canadian Pacific perfered to keep their alcos on the eastern side of the country and leave the west to the GMD's and Fairbanks-Morse motive power. Canadian national was pretty much the same, although I do love the looks of those FA noses.
Anyway, I decided to start with the next diesel on the RIP track.

[Image: 201791185011_DSCF7071.jpg]

It's a Bachmann Spectrum H16-44 or baby trainmaster. I found it at a local swap meet and paid the princely sum of 5$ for the privilege of hauling it's well used hulk home.

[Image: 201791185315_DSCF7072.jpg]

It was used on a club layout for a number of years but a number of members are rather 'ham-fisted', explaining why there are no handrails left. My other problem was that although this is a Canadian Pacific engine, the paint scheme with the script writing came out in 1965 so I have to backdate the paint to 1959. I initially thought this was going to be easy, just remove the script and replace it with the older style block lettering. Unfortunately the gray stripe was narrower with the block scheme as well so the whole engine is in for a repaint.

[Image: 20179118590_DSCF7073.jpg]

The good news is that the drive is intact and runs okay.
I had trouble locating a replacement set of handrails. Bachmann didn't sell them separately but for 21$ I managed to get a complete shell with handrails and other details from them. I decided to use the new shell as well since the original was a little worse for wear.
I started on the modifications to the shell. I striped the handrails and original paint off my replacement shell first.
Canadian Pacific made a few changes to the original as you can see in this pic:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=365901
The main difference is two of the four rear fan openings is plated over. This was done since the engines were running in colder climates (mostly the Kootenay region of British Columbia) and the extra cooling wasn't needed. I too plated this over with some styrene.
You will also notice the difference between the block and script paint schemes of the two Lead engines.
[Image: 201791221459_DSCF5352.jpg]
I also removed the horns from the side of the long hood as that will be moved to the cab roof.

[Image: 2017912214647_DSCF5353.jpg]

I masked off the radiator and dynamic brake grills before painting. It's pretty much ready for primer and the gray paint now.
I sprayed the primer and the CPR gray over the past couple days.

[Image: 2017915212558_DSCF7018.jpg]
The first color is pretty straightforward, the masking and second color is the tricky part. Again I'm using tru-line's acrylic paint, which makes for quick drying so I can get on with masking within a day of spraying the first coat.
So I masked and painted the CP maroon yesterday.

[Image: 2017917105345_DSCF7074.jpg]
I decided to use Microscale's CP hood unit (pre 1965) set. I photocopied the decal sheet and used it as a template for the more difficult parts of the masking, like the upward 'swoosh' behind the cab and the downward angle on the cab.
The hardest part came when I had to determine the width of the gray stripe on the long hood. I figured out that the top of the stripe was in the same place on both the script and block lettered engines (see the prototype photo) I then took a scale drawing of a CP RS-3 in the block lettering to determine the width, measuring down from the top of the stripe.

[Image: 201791711418_DSCF7033.jpg]

It took about an hour to mask off the engine, then I hit it with the CPR Tuscan.

[Image: 201791711742_DSCF7059.jpg]

After that dried I masked the shell again and sprayed black on the running boards, pilots and lower sills. Since this photo was taken I sprayed the model with testor's glosscote and I'm waiting for that to dry before I begin decaling.
Really fine work going on there. Cheers
Don in "Orygun" City
Thanks Don

While I've been waiting for Glosscote to dry, I finished up the FA-2

[Image: 20179220147_DSCF7111.jpg]

I got the chassis back from my DCC guy. I had a spare Digitrax142 decoder that he used. While I still had the shell off I gave the engine crew a quick paint job. Then I mounted the shell and gave it all a quick weathering with my airbrush.

[Image: 201792201658_DSCF7113.jpg]
I weathered it to match the B unit that I had already completed. I used some flat black on the roof for the infamous alco (MLW) diesel soot. And then I mostly just weathered the trucks and underbody with a mix of grimy black, rust, and dirt. These are all polly-s colors.

[Image: 201792202014_DSCF7114.jpg]
coupled to the 'b'

[Image: 201792202133_DSCF7115.jpg]
and passing my C-liner
This weekend I'll probably be decaling the H16-44.