Already tired of the hype
We are in the 84% area, I will rent a space in my back yard for 252 bucks. Misngth
Charlie
Ralph it's not rare at all, happens about every 18 months somewhere on the planet. Don some hotel/motels are charging as much as $1,000 a night! Eek Nope
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yeah, but not here. The last time I was able to view anything like this was a partial eclipse sometime in the late 1960s in Upstate NY.
Ralph it's God's way of giving you the perfect excuse to take a train trip! Icon_lol
Mike

Well, today's the day. Not much time left to make a decision about where to go to see the eclipse. Too late to head out to those sweet spots of 100%, we might be able to drive up north a bit and get in on an 80% view, but after thinking about it for a few seconds, I figure I'm good with 65% and might go outside when it peaks. No, we can't look up, too late for even finding viewing glasses. I wonder though, is there this much hype in other countries when they have their eclipses? And just how does this many people get time off from work to travel this far to see something like this? And by later today when they get back in what's been described as the biggest traffic jam in history, will everyone think all this was worth it? Just curious that's all....... :?

And no, we're not criticizing anyone for doing this, I don't think anyone here is either. It's just for us, it's not worth the time, inconvenience and expense of it all. I'm glad though for everyone that wants to see this once in a lifetime even the way they want to..... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Missed my chance to travel elsewhere to view a total eclipse. As I thought, it was cloudy and raining in MN during the peak of the partial eclipse. It may have seemed a little darker than usual but if I hadn't known there was an eclipse I probably wouldn''t have thought so.
Well we had 100% totality here and perfect weather. I'm sorry but compared to other events Mother Nature has thrown my way this was interesting but not worth putting up with about 30,000 people invading our town of 1,400. I'm glad to say I have seen a total eclipse but if I should ever be in the path of another one I will make like a sheepherder and get the flock outta there the day before the big non-event and not come back til the next day. There was some humor though like the woman who wanted to know if it clouded up would they postpone it! Icon_lol . Another thing that cracked me up was as soon as it was past 100% but still around 85-90% the people headed for their cars like lemmings going over a cliff only making it about 2 miles before being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic! Like Don I wonder how big a hit productivity took in this country from all the people playing hooky from work? Eek For those that enjoy this sort of thing I'm glad they got great weather. Myself I had more fun watching the people watching the eclipse rather than watching the eclipse itself. Thumbsup
Mike

I guess a few places wound up with clouds, like Nashville. We went out shortly after the start and the sun was blocked by clouds. Apparently from TV, it appeared that some people in downtown Phoenix did get to see the whole 65% eclipse, but where we were, it was overcast because of the clouds and never really got too much darker. We watched most of it on TV and glad that we did it that way.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Here's a pic of mid eclipse up here in the Northeast Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Quote of the day from a young mother (interviewed on the evening news) about the eclipse "I wish it would stay like this all the time" Nope
Charlie
Was that woman so stupid as to not understand that with no sunlight first the plants die, then the animals die, then we die? Nope Eek :wait:
Mike

Besides that, she should realize that the older you get, the more difficult driving in the dark becomes... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Icon_lol Although cataract surgery made it WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier to drive at night.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Icon_lol Although cataract surgery made it WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier to drive at night.

I don't see any difference... Oh yeah, I didn't have the surgery, 35 they're too busy fixing things like knees, shoulders, back, neck and elbows trying to make me young again. Worship Oh, my doctor's name, Frankenstein, he comes from a long line of proficient, but a bit dubious surgeons. Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Mike