The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!!
Home. Finished by 2:55. Stopped by Northern Tool and picked up my bench grinder [I am going to try and fix the old one. bet brushes.]

44 and a little breeze. Did wear heavy coat.

Later.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
Hello Blue
Just checking in. No special news here.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Greetings, gang.

Sunny and a balmy 37 in my back yard at the moment. Supposed to hit the mid 50s today. If that holds true there will be a bike ride this afternoon.

Yesterday went well. Got everything on my list except a new mouse. Found one I liked at Best Buy but not at $80! When I got home the hinges had arrived for the toyboxes so those were promptly installed. The toyboxes are now complete. This morning I'll be heading off to the gym and this afternoon will be the aforementioned bike ride.

Charlie - I jammed my toe coming up the stairs on Sunday. The toe is currently several lovely shades of red and purple. The pain is almost gone - just the bruising remains.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning.
         Cloudy and cold here this AM. The furkids have been out to the fence talking with the senior German Shepperd's that live next door. It has been a game played for 10 years, running the fence and hurling death threats at each other and we have sent 3 furkids to the bridge since it started. Our girl Samoyed and one of the GSD's would be just fine as friends but the other boys won't permit any friendly approaches to the fence. 
         Here is a picture of the pickups on those Centipedes I have been complaining about. I do have some fixes in mind.      
They are too flimsy and completely lose contact even on straight sections.

One of my volunteers at the Kiski lost here father to covid yesterday. He was in his 70's and had some previous health problems but it still is devastating. He was a pretty good guy too.         

I am hoping we can organize a chat soon. 

I was hoping that Broadway Joe would be retired now the December 7 deadline has been reached, but he was still selling healthcare on the local news station this morning.  

Please be careful, It looks like the vaccine is close but in the meantime we have to be cautious. 
Cheers
Charlie
@ Charlie,

those sharp kinks of the wipers are the main reason for a not reliable pick up.
All should be straight and in an certain angle bend outwards. The angle should comply to the lateral movements of the wheelsets. The pick ups should still bridge the gap even when the wheel is on it's farthermost distance point from the frame away.
It will then be a real hassle to remount the bottom plate, something like taming spider legs. But when properly done the wage is a reliable pickup.

@All:
Here on the other side of the Big Pond the time is 1604 (UTC +1), cloudy and rather dusky. Temperature is about 4°C and the air is very humid, just like short before raining.
Just good reasons to make a can of tea.

Lutz
Good morning folks

It is 36 at the moment. High will be around 39. The predicated frozen mix is a no show so far. There is some stuff out around Lancaster, Reading, and Allentown. Hard to tell if it will make it down this way.

I finally weathered four of the hoppers last night. Now I need to seal them. Still have eight to go. I also built the two Special Edition Athearn Tropicana Orange Juice reefers. I have five Con-Cor ones to build.

Not much on the agenda today. Perhaps I can do some more weathering and building.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Good morning. Slept till 8:45. Wifey was up and took care of the dogs and cat. undefined all stayed quite but had Alexa playing rain sounds to "drown" out noises.

Finally made it to 41 and hazy [was suppose to be sunny]. Nothing much on agenda.

Yesterday must have been accident day. My computer and etc. sits on my Granddaddy's big wooden roll top desk. Have a writing pull outs out. Got up to leave and hit my left hand on the edge of the left pull out. I said to self, "That is going to be a burse." Looked down and blood running down hand. Took a chunk out of top of left hand. Had to put Band-Aid on it to stop bleeding. Who ever heard of such.

Our Gov has added restrictions as majority of counties in NC are red [% positive well up]. Not ours but all the counties around us including Edgecombe and the farms. Nothing can be open after 10PM and can not open before 5AM. I laughed. We all talked about that at lunch at tax hearings. All about the money.

All stay well and have a great day.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
(12-09-2020, 09:10 AM)Schraddel Wrote: @ Charlie,

those sharp kinks of the wipers are the main reason for a not reliable pick up.
All should be straight and in an certain angle bend outwards. The angle should comply to the lateral movements of the wheelsets. The pick ups should still bridge the gap even when the wheel is on it's farthermost distance point from the frame away.
It will then be a real hassle to remount the bottom plate, something like taming spider legs. But when properly done the wage is a reliable pickup.

@All:
Here on the other side of the Big Pond the time is 1604 (UTC +1), cloudy and rather dusky. Temperature is about 4°C and the air is very humid, just like short before raining.
Just good reasons to make a can of tea.

Lutz

Hi Lutz
Thanks for the reply, those wipers are so flimsy they won't hold their shape, and there is no longer enough tension left in the metal to work. The sharp kinks are 90 degree angles because the wipers slide down from the axle cover to the side of the wheels if you look here     you may be able to see them. From day one there was a problem but I always blamed the track. What happens is all 8 contact points (4 on each truck) are loosing contact at the same time. I will be making a nice positive set up like Wayne did on the Bowser A5 he built for me. The N gauge version of the Centipedes uses a different set up for the pickups but still has problems as seen on a youtube video. In that they used conductive grease on the wipers which I believe is asking for more trouble sooner or later. 

Charlie
Well, thread #8 has reached 4000 posts, so we're off to #9. Why the Roman Numerals? Heck if I know, when we started these threads, I guess someone just did it that way and we've continued ever since. A long time....

I did move the last two posts from the old thread since they were posted today...............
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I've locked this thread and opened #9 here:

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9237
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD