Need input from you all
I experience a severe performance degradation since yesterday. Any changes done?
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 12:33 AM)faraway Wrote: I experience a severe performance degradation since yesterday. Any changes done?

Yes, I get notes from GoDaddy occasionally that we had been stressing our resource limits. We've upgraded once at a cost, but they still would like us to upgrade even more. I think it usually happens when Pat is doing something, like this time he added a plugin for "list unread posts", followed by another warning from GoDaddy. We should be OK for now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.
All other US sides perform as usual.
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 09:49 AM)faraway Wrote: Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.

Yes, that would be me. I was trying out some new backup plugins on my own website and the plugins were sending the resources through the roof. Since we share server space, it effected the forum as well. We will, undoubtedly, get an email in the next day or so claiming we've exceeded our resources.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
(05-30-2018, 10:55 AM)Duffy Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:49 AM)faraway Wrote: Not really. It is still crawling slow. The progress bar of the browser stops for 10 - 30 seconds after about 20%. That is the usually the DNS lookup. I changed the DNS and used even VPN tunnel into the US using US DNS without success.

Yes, that would be me. I was trying out some new backup plugins on my own website and the plugins were sending the resources through the roof. Since we share server space, it effected the forum as well. We will, undoubtedly, get an email in the next day or so claiming we've exceeded our resources.

Uhhh, got one yesterday. Eek They don't hesitate  to pounce on you when you do normal things like that.... As usual, we just ignore and wait. I did see some slowing down yesterday for a while, but today it seems normal again. I think we just have to put up with it while we try to get things in order. I don't think GoDaddy is getting upset with us, they just would like us to spend more money on upgrading, on the meantime, I guess we'll just get an occasional slowdown while you do what you need to do.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.
Reinhard
(05-30-2018, 01:13 PM)faraway Wrote: ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.

We're trying, so thanks, we appreciate your being here and we're doing our best to make Big Blue a comfortable place to come back to. The move to our new server and our new software  was traumatic for sure, but it's turning out to be a good choice. We didn't lose any posts, attachments or people, and that in itself is an achievement. I just got off the phone with GoDaddy and we're ironing out a few more wrinkles.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-30-2018, 01:28 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 01:13 PM)faraway Wrote: ok, thanks for the update and thanks for the effort spend for our hobby.

We're trying, so thanks, we appreciate your being here and we're doing our best to make Big Blue a comfortable place to come back to. The move to our new server and our new software  was traumatic for sure, but it's turning out to be a good choice. We didn't lose any posts, attachments or people, and that in itself is an achievement. I just got off the phone with GoDaddy and we're ironing out a few more wrinkles.

Well I'm done experimenting with plugins. I've come to the conclusion that I can't run a third party backup plugin on a shared hosting site. They throttle massive file transfers because they are trying to save bandwidth for the other 60,000 users on the same server (rightfully so). I winds up causing socket disconnections and eventual failure of the backup. That's using different plugins so I know it's GoDaddy, not me.

We'll just have to rely on the built in backup procedure godaddy has put in place, although, it's not exactly reliable either. unless, of course, you subscribe to their legit backup add on for $24 a year. It's all about the green.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
Big Blue is fast and snappy this morning (10am CET). What ever you did you did it well ! Thanks a lot.
Reinhard
(06-09-2018, 01:55 AM)faraway Wrote: Big Blue is fast and snappy this morning (10am CET). What ever you did you did it well ! Thanks a lot.

Well, as Pat says, we are on a shared hosting site. That means that we share resources with a number of other sites. How many? We haven't a clue. For the most part, we should be snappy all the time, but if these other sites start to hog resources, we pay the price. Also, if we go over our allotted resources, they will throttle us down during that period. That has only happened a few times when we've been working in the background though....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
After living with this new version of our forum I have to say that I was mush happier with the old one. It's at the point where I very seldom post anything anymore. I miss the old "View active topics" link that we had. We do have a "View new post" button, but it's no were near the same. Under the new posts link I get to see maybe 3 or four threads, with the active topics you could have a page or two to look at.  How long is a post considered "NEW" before it is removed from the list? If I don't get a chance to check the site for a few days, can I be missing something? I'm a very Form fallows function kind of person. A flashy new look just doesn't do it for me,,  I would mush rather have some real substance behind it.  Is there any way to have that feature back?

I have one other question, although a small one. Some of the avatars now appear >squashed< after the change to the new look. Can that be fixed?

Thanks.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw, I'm still getting used to all the new stuff too.  I know it's rough when we must do a re-vamp of the site.  Remember this is our 4th re-make since we started as The-Gauge in December 1999.

I've been using both the  View New Posts  and the  View Unread Posts. The unread posts show all the new posts that you have not read yet.  That way you can stop in anytime and review everything you have missed. and yes, it's 1 or 2 pages long.  Big Grin

As far as the pictures and avatars, the owner has to just re-upload the same avatar.  I right clicked mine and saved it to my desktop. Then went into the user CP (link is upper left under our logo) then on the left side, halfway down the list is "Change Avatar"  then choose avatar and upload it.  The software automatically fixes the picture.

I fixed your avatar for you.  

If  someone else's avatar is what you are questioning, that member has to do the same thing so we can see normal sizes picture.

Let us know if the "View Unread Posts" helps.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
(06-23-2018, 07:38 AM)e-paw Wrote: After living with this new version of our forum I have to say that I was mush happier with the old one. It's at the point where I very seldom post anything anymore. I miss the old "View active topics" link that we had. We do have a "View new post" button, but it's no were near the same. Under the new posts link I get to see maybe 3 or four threads, with the active topics you could have a page or two to look at.  How long is a post considered "NEW" before it is removed from the list? If I don't get a chance to check the site for a few days, can I be missing something? I'm a very Form fallows function kind of person. A flashy new look just doesn't do it for me,,  I would mush rather have some real substance behind it.  Is there any way to have that feature back?

I have one other question, although a small one. Some of the avatars now appear >squashed< after the change to the new look. Can that be fixed?

Thanks.

There are a number of differences, most are for the better. Your best bet is to look at the "portal" page, there we have the last 15 active threads. You can also use the "view unread posts" and see what you've missed being updated. As for the "view new posts", I cannot find where it defines what is "new", or where we can change that setting. Maybe Pat can find something somewhere....

As for the avatars, yeah, a lot of the transferred over as being distorted. That has to be corrected on an individual basis. You can download your avatar if it is squashed, and uploaded it once again and it will appear normal. That is just one of a few things that didn't transfer over properly.

The biggest thing we lost was the threat of crashing and having to restore the database, or the occasional lockup that Pat would have to go in and clear the cause to kick-start us back on. This new software is far more stable and current than the old one, and that's important to us not losing anything, going off line for a while, or spending a day reconstructing our database. All of which could, and did happen with the old forum software.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I agree with you Steve, and frankly I find it hard to navigate so I don't visit as often. the up side is I am getting more done on the trains and some photo work that I am doing for a local historical society. I have over 1000 large format glass negatives left to scan for them. 
I am sure if I devote more time to it I can find my way around but there is a noticeable decrease in posts because a lot of members have left over the last 2 or 3 years, many not by their choice. 
Charlie
Hello Forum,

I know it is hard work to run the Forum. But for me it get worse. The performance is sometimes ok and sometimes it takes minutes to open a tread. And since some days, I did not get the little green arrow which take me to the unread post of that tread. The old software runs fine, but I'm not happy with the new one. May you can fix the missing things. So it is hard to navigate thrue the forum.
I have also a problem with the signature. The charachters are to big, but when I try to make it smaller, I get an error who says I should delete 71 charachters because the maximum is 255. But I do not hit the 255 limit. I tried it, by deleting some words and then it works in the preview but get an error again when I try to update.
So any help would be nice.

Anyway, I appreciate the work you do a lot.
Greetings Hardy
GULF MOBILE & OHIO and FRISCO and also ILLINOIS CENTRAL (Gulf)