using photographs as backdrops
            [attachment=28885]Hello Everyone---recently I've been using some of my photographs as backdrops.My printer makes copies that appear a bit hazy or muted but I like the effect.I simply paste the copy onto a piece of card-stock and place a locomotive in front of the picture to create a scene.Here's some samples
Great Idea! I've seen a few layouts that use this method.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Nice effect, Ed, and a good way to vary the background without having to redo the whole layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Actually it was Bruce (bdw9535) who inspired me to use this technique after he sent me a photobackdrop from his collection

Here's some more examples
Bayview

Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(07-13-2018, 06:45 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?

Hi Tyson---it's not your monitor,it's probably an issue with my printer which is not a high grade model and all my copies look faded.My copies reminded me of some of Walthers background scenes which also appear washed out
Tyson---here's a scene using a Walther's background

(07-13-2018, 08:34 AM)cn nutbar Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 06:45 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Maybe it's my monitor but all the backdrops look very washed/faded out and don't seem to blend in with the foreground?

Hi Tyson---it's not your monitor,it's probably an issue with my printer which is not a high grade model and all my copies look faded.My copies reminded me of some of Walthers background scenes which also appear washed out

I was thinking that it might look that way since your photos are all focused on your locos, not on the backdrop. Still, they do give you a sense of distance being a bit faded out that way.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(07-13-2018, 12:33 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 08:34 AM)cn nutbar Wrote:

I was thinking that it might look that way since your photos are all focused on your locos, not on the backdrop. Still, they do give you a sense of distance being a bit faded out that way.

Right on Don---that's exactly what I was hoping to capture with the faded background---maybe with more practice the scenes will look better and I'm going to try using larger copier paper to get wider prints.Thanks for the feedback
I see what you mean about the Walther's backgrounds.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string