Limits on attachments?
I'm trying to reconstruct a thread, where the Forum move has resulted in the illustrative photos ending-up in the wrong places within the text....in other words, the photos don't match their descriptions. 

While the original thread had 14 or 15 photos, I've managed to re-insert, in their correct places, only 10.  The eleventh one has been appended to the end of the thread, and it appears that even if I can add all of the other missing ones, they'll also end up in the wrong place.  The entire procedure is more labour intensive than the old Forum, and a limit on photos isn't, in my opinion, a good thing.  It certainly doesn't encourage us to show what we're doing.

While I still have a viable photobucket account, and could add the pictures from there, when I kick my own personal bucket, those will disappear.  This is not very conducive to leaving something which may be useful to others in the future.  I do, of course, realise that this medium is at best temporal, so perhaps I'm over-reacting. 

Wayne
It is interesting that the old forum under phpBB was set tohave a limit of 5 attachments per post, just that it never seemed to work that way. This forum has a default limit of 10 and we didn't change that, but we can if it's a problem. I think the idea is not to have one post with an infinite number of attachments and would take forever to load (most folks now have exceptionally high access rates compared to just a few years ago).

As for uploading photos, I see little difference between the old and the new other than the functions are arranged different. It's just that I've always wanted to be able to upload more than one at a time, and that's just not to be right now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wayne, I've changed to max # of attachments per post to 25. If that's still a problem, I can disable it or up that number. I know we had some photo problems before we moved, a bunch got corrupted. I tried to move some of Pete's (Sumpter250) photos, but they were just scrambled. I know reconstructing a thread is tedious work, I've been there, so good luck, just let me know if I need to do anything else to help.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks for upping that limit, Don.  That should be fine for the thread in question, as it's in the Academy, but I'm not sure how many other ones I'll be doing.  I don't know if all that many people bother looking at older threads, even the ones in the sub-forums, where there are lots of "how-tos".

Wayne
I'm attempting to re-build another thread in which the original photos were attachments, but the move has mixed-up their order.  I've deleted all of them, and started to replace them with, hopefully, the same attachments (but in an order matching the captions).  However, I've reached the 25 image limit, and still have another 35 to complete the original post.  

When you have time, could you please up the limit, as I'm doing the re-build in order to allow me to send a link to it, to a possible new Member.

EDIT:   Well, I just re-posted the partially re-done first post, and while it started out okay, the last 20 photos added have all gone to the very end of the post, and not in order, either.
I'm sorry, but this is very frustrating and time consuming, especially considering that I have another 43 threads which I'd like to re-build (not all have as many photos as this one, but because the original responses to these threads were generally very appreciative, I figured they'd also be of interest to newcomers, too).   A written how-to or a story without illustrations is not of much interest to anyone.

RE-EDIT:  I've managed to move the 20 mis-placed (not by me) photos, but three hours to rebuild not even half of one (admittedly long) post is not  acceptable.  I don't understand why the programme has to re-number the attachments in a manner which in no way reflects their original i.d., then places them at random within the list of attachments, so that you have to hunt for each one just in order to add them to the post.  The arcane manner of this is what makes rebuilding a post such an onerous task.

Wayne
60 pics in a single post? Really, God help anyone without a rapid ISP. When I was on dial-up anything over 5 ground the thread to a halt and it wouldn't load. Then I had a mobile hotspot the downloaded at a zippy 25 meg. but it was expensive at $55 for 5 gig. Now I have unlimited for $40 but it only downloads at 4 meg. and it would take awhile at 60 pics per thread. Thanks for the warning Wayne!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mike, the thread has been around for ten years, and on the previous version of Big Blue, the photos were in attachment form, too.

To be included as attachments, photos must be re-sized to 500kb or less, and all were, of course, so re-sized.  On my old Windows computer, I had a "Power Toy" which could re-size a file of 500 photos in a matter of seconds.  On my much newer Mac, each needs to be done individually, and takes several minutes.

The only reason that I'm bothering with this at all is because of the impermanence of photos linked from photobucket, but I'm starting to realise that none of this will be all that permanent anyways.  I doubt that many Members go through older posts anyway, but I was offering links to those on other Forums with questions which, in my opinion, might be well-served by stuff which should be readily available here.

Most of my photos were taken with cameras that are not capable of extremely large file sizes - photobucket automatically re-sizes photos without need for any user input, and I generally use those photos for one-off types of posting, such as the WPF threads.

I certainly don't wish to deter viewers, but I'm sure that anyone on dial-up or with similar limitations won't be cruising this or any other site looking for photos.

Wayne
Just an update for all:  the thread in question has been re-constructed as two posts, with not quite as many photos as previously.  Here's a LINK for any who might be interested (or bored) or interested in being bored.

Wayne