Weekly Photo Fun 8/3 - 8/9/18
Caught up with the Dock Street crew at Pier 7.

Bruce

Our human cargo departs from todays excursion.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I don't normally do selfies,  but then most people don't normally get a chance to sit where I am sitting, at the controls of GG1 #4877, the one of the last operational GG-1s.   They are not kidding when they say it is cramped.   The entrance doors on the side don't even actually open all the way,  you need to squeeze in with the door only opened a crack!

[Image: 20180715_104906.jpg]

An E60 is an even rarer opportunity,  this is the only remaining unrebuilt unit, NJ Transit ex Amtrak #958.   I doubt Strasburg will ever open their E60MA for tours! Being a big electric locomotive fan, this was a great day!

[Image: 20180715_110610.jpg]

[Image: 20180715_111627.jpg]

[Image: 20180715_103443.jpg]

[Image: 20180715_102246.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Hey GEC, I was just there a few weeks ago stripping parts off of the C&NW f-7. Don't know if it's still there, it was on its way to the scrappers torch. On the G did you get to see where the transformer was between the 2 cabs and the giant traction motor blowers at each end. The air pump is also strange,  kind of a mix of a steam and diesel one. Notice that the throttle is like a steam engines with 22 notches.
(08-07-2018, 08:07 AM)e-paw Wrote: Hey GEC, I was just there a few weeks ago stripping parts off of the C&NW f-7. Don't know if it's still there, it was on its way to the scrappers torch. On the G did you get to see where the transformer was between the 2 cabs and the giant traction motor blowers at each end. The air pump is also strange,  kind of a mix of a steam and diesel one. Notice that the throttle is like a steam engines with 22 notches.

It was.  Its almost too bad,  it looks like none of them will be saved as NJT units.    

I was in both GG1s,  and took video in each.  The other GG1 seemed to have a good chunk of its transformer still in place.   I couldn't figure out where the PCB tanks might have been.   That was always the  big struggle with "remediating" them.   I do was   blown away by the monster size of those blowers, but also surprised at how "open"  the inside of the locomotive was in the nose all around that blower.   I can see how the ice could have gotten into it though!   I wish I knew what the other large boxes were in the nose.  

I guess the mix of equipment makes sense though, the GG1s came in right before the diesel era, and at the end of the steam era.  That said, I've noticed most of the electric locomotive throttles have odd positions.   Even the E44 (and the E33 if train simulator is to be believed) had different power positions from the average diesel.  I need to check my photos, but I think I even noticed the E60 had different points rather than the usual "notches".   I'm sure someone did the figuring to find out which notch corresponds to a diesel equivalent when MUed.

I have a wild photo of a pair of E44s leading an RF&P diesel powered train,  but with no catenary in sight!  The headlight was one and the train photographed in multiple locations, so i think they really must have been running the train from the electrics!  Must have had enough battery to run the lights and controls.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The RF&P train that you mentioned could have had it's headlight and control circuits powered through the MU jumper. As for GG-1, E-44/33, and steam throttle combos,, another one to add another throttle type mix is the Baldwin style throttle. Some BLW ( and a few FM's ) units were equipped universal MU's that had an infinitely variable throttle. It had no notches, just a wire wound resistor that was tied to the governor to control engine speed. Someone had to figure out how to get that to work 8 and 22 notch throttles.

And don't worry GEC,,,, Some of those F unit parts will live on in Scranton.