bringing a old friend to life
some time ago I was given this

as you can tell its a Revell farm house well past its prime .some one had removed most of the wrap around porch

a sad looking mess.

I striped off the 4 layers of paint and removed the cast on windows and replaced them with tichy ones that fit the openings

then to replace the missing roof on the kitchen I added a sleeping porch

the windows are not attached yet as I need to put another coat  of color on the walls. will add  more as rebuild progresses.
That upstairs addition really changed its appearance, Jim.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the rebuild.

Wayne
thanks Wayne this  has always been my most favorite kit I ever bought . in the fall of 61 (also the same year it was interdicted ) I had worked all summer helping farmers  in the valley  with there haying saving up enough to be able to afford my first 45 auto , a 30-40 Krag the farm house kit and the barn that went with it .all I have left of them is the chicken coop from original kit. hence its like a old friend to me , you know treasures from the past.
Yup, I think we can all relate to keeping parts of the past alive. Also, sleeping porches, they go way back too. Nice job....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I had the Revell farmhouse on my first layout, a 4'x8', which was sold in its entirety.  I'm pretty sure that I have an unbuilt kit for the same house, somewhere in my stash of "must keep" stuff.  I'm hoping to have room for at least a small residential area on the upper level of my layout.

Wayne
Wayne got one of the con-cor ones a few years ago just as a memory , when they were released they were a step ahead of the other plastic kits of that era , they could stand up to todays kits if it weren't for the windows.

Don I spent many a summer nights in a sleeping porch as a youth , still remember  the sound of rain on the metal roof  Icon_e_smile
been at this . found that the foundation was  not up to par , someone just glued plastic sheets so I removes all of the foundation and made one out of plastruct  field stone sheet

in doing so I found that the original builder didn't line the back wall of kitchen , and as I had already built the sleeping porch I made a wood pile to hide the gap the photo isn't too good but there's a wood pile on porch to hide another gap and a chopping block to hide a hole 

this it the stone foundation , will be moving to the upper story adding baffles  incase I decide to light it.

Attached Files Image(s)

The stone foundation is a good choice for an older house like that.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
thanks Wayne that's what I thought too, the  simulated concrete block was too new for age of house . had a old house years ago with field stone foundation that I had to redo the grouting so I made it look like the same was done.
My house was built in 1899 and has a stone foundation. Ive never seen that before and at first sight I was a little nervous about it
(02-20-2019, 04:26 PM)Rscott417 Wrote: My house was built in 1899 and has a stone foundation. Ive never seen that before and at first sight I was a little nervous about it

the house I had was built in the same year and is still standing today.
Nice touch Jim, I googled the house that I lived in for the first nine years and saw a plaque near the entrance. I zoomed in to find it was now on the National Registry of Historical Homes... Who knew, it was a wreck of a house back then, but I guess they fixed it up since.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ok after my obsession  with the logging flatcars I got back on this build the windows are all installed with window dressings , don't care for the shades that come with tichy windows so the wife gave me some pattern paper that I painted with clear acrylic then over painted with yellow to get the effect that sun and age did to white window shades.

the roofing in above is B.E.S.T. shingles , this my second use of them and still on the learning curve. the back of the house faces south so there are no shades.

the porches were custom built to fit what was left of the original porch if I had thought that I was going to replace the foundation before I installed the roofs I would have done them different .

the house is divided into 6 rooms incase I want to add lighting later. now to finish roof and painting , and if I can find the axe that fell out of the chopping block , if I can't I will have  to make a new one.
almost done, just a few touches left but I'm going to wait a bit as the shingles need a close trim , B.E.S.T. instructions say the glue get more aggressive with age , so I will wait a couple of weeks to trim them . and also add wire supports to  kitchen smoke stack. I also have been thinking of adding the woman with broom sweeping the back porch that came with original kits.

don't look anything like original photo

front view.

[attachment=30508]

back and side.

close up view of back porch with axe in chopping block.

and if anyone was wondering how far one package of the shingles went  the entire front and this much of the back.

now off the finish the Johnson house.