The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Nice job on the tank Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(08-28-2021, 08:07 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Nice job on the tank Don!

Thanks, I thought it was small until my Trainmaster order came with the fire hydrants and mailboxes in it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
If you think the mailboxes are small wait until you see the size of the postcards going in it! Big Grin
Mike

(08-29-2021, 07:51 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: If you think the mailboxes are small wait until you see the size of the postcards going in it! Big Grin

There's suppose to be some inside the mailboxes I got but I can't find the key to get them out. Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Installing the chain link fence for the tower site should have been easy, but it was really not that well designed to go around corners or be cut into sections, so it wasn’t easy. Cutting it to length left one side of the barbed wire without any support, bending it at a corner did the same and there also was no easy way to join two sections. I had to add wires to the ends that had no support and glue overlapping sections. Bending corners and joining two sections made the spacing uneven so I couldn’t use the template they included. I thought there was little chance to secure the fence directly to the site and keep it straight, so what I did was to cut a sheet of plastic to fit inside the fence and glue the gravel to it. I then glued each fence post to the plastic. (photo 1) I also had to clear the site of the gravel that was there so the edge would match up with the road and also be level enough (photo 2) to accept the assembly (photo 3).

As you can see from the rest of the photos, things worked out. The town now has an ample supply of water with good pressure thanks to it being up on the hill. There is a pump house to get the water up there and a maintenance shed as well. I hope this keeps the town council off my back for a while, just finish one project and they’re looking for another. Icon_rolleyes

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice job. I really like the gravel area and the fence came out well.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
That really make a great scene Don and it looks great. I don't know how you can work with N. It was too small for me 30 years ago. 
Charlie
Very nicely-done, Don! Applause Applause  Applause 

I need to do some similar fences that I've been putting off for several years...perhaps when I finish those baggage cars that I'm supposed to be doing.

Wayne
Thanks guys. "How do I work in N scale?", you ask. About 20 years ago I bought some HO and some N scale, worked a bit with both and found that N was not that difficult, especially since I've been working with small electronic parts for a long time. Now it's a case of economics, I'm too invested in N scale to change, plus I don't have that much floor space if I could afford it, so I trudge on not knowing any better. Nope

There are those of us think that it's the Normal scale, it's Natural to work with and think Nothing of it regardless of it's Numerous challenges. Misngth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice work on the fence and tower Don!
Mike

(09-03-2021, 06:31 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Nice work on the fence and tower Don!

Thank you kind sir, although the fence has its issues, it was fun doing it. I may have to add an auxiliary pump since my calculations show that the water pressure is only around 35PSI, a bit low for city water. So far no one has complained. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Living "out" and on my own water system (spring and rain water) my pressure tank is set for 25/40 so 35 should be just fine. If any of your little people complain just cut their water off so they will have a reason to complain! That should shut them up! Big Grin
Mike

Good point Mike, great idea. Around here, anything under 40 is considered low, I suspect where I live now, it has to be well over 50. I'm sticking with 35 on my layout regardless of any complaints, these little guys are spoiled to start with. Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
In town the city water is back pumped to tanks up on the mountain, then gravity fed to town. The pressure in some of the lower lying areas is so high it can blow garden hoses, hot water heaters and what have you so those folks have to install a reducer valve between the city pipe and their house. One friend of mine says the pressure at the valve at his house is 125 psi!
Mike

(09-05-2021, 05:52 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: In town the city water is back pumped to tanks up on the mountain, then gravity fed to town. The pressure in some of the lower lying areas is so high it can blow garden hoses, hot water heaters and what have you so those folks have to install a reducer valve between the city pipe and their house. One friend of mine says the pressure at the valve at his house is 125 psi!

Yeah, we had that problem when we lived in Wickenburg, they installed a pressure reducer valve to keep it around 40psi, and we lived at the top of a hill. I wonder what it was like in other parts of town that had elevation that were much lower.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and