The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Got a few vehicles that are an upgrade from the ones that I have on my  layout. Most of the ones that I bought were unpainted. Four were plastic and a lot easier to deal with since they came apart the glass and wheels were separate. Six of them are pewter, and there lies the challenge, painting around the windows and other details. I'm still working on one, (the white one), it's been stripped for the third time, it is a "kit", meaning that the wheels are separate, that's barely a kit in my opinion, but it does help with painting.

Anyway, here they are as best as I can do. I was able to put most of them on sticks (first photo), for painting. Afterwards, they looked way too flat, so I sprayed them with a coat of clear gloss and that helped. Most are under an inch so I'm not too sure I'll do this again.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Big Grin 
Don, Those look great. If you are not happy with them send them to me and I will show you how not to do it. I can't even do a good job on my HO castings.  Icon_rolleyes
You layout is coming along nicely.
Charlie
(09-08-2021, 09:21 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Don, Those look great. If you are not happy with them send them to me and I will show you how not to do it. I can't even do a good job on my HO castings.  Icon_rolleyes
You layout is coming along nicely.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, they did turn out a bit better than I thought they would, I'm just glad I have an ultrasonic cleaner that was able to strip them back down to metal when I did screw up. I could send you a few, but I already know how not to do it, got it down to a science, eight minutes strips the paint, sixteen minutes gets most of the primer coat off. Then we try again.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
You got some good-looking results there, Don...very nicely-done. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Those are some fine looking cars!
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks guys, as I said, they did turn out better than I expected based on how things were going in the beginning. I did enjoy doing them, just that I'm not sure I would want to go this route again. What I do like is that only a couple of them are dated, but even then, they all will work on my layout, because of it's current era.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don they look great! I don't even try to paint N scale people or cars, don't think I would try in HO either.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(09-09-2021, 05:52 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Don they look great! I don't even try to paint N scale people or cars, don't think I would try in HO either.

Thanks Mike, I had little choice, that's the way the ones that I wanted came. The only N scale people I painted were the aliens that I have on my layout, and they're all green so it wasn't really that difficult. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The last of my pewter vehicles. I tried to turn this one into a transit van with handicap capabilities. It was a bit difficult, but at four feet, it looks OK. Icon_rolleyes

This is about half of the ones that I picked up at swap meets. Whoever tried to paint them really liked to two-tone them by painting the roofs.  I'll see if I can make something of them, or just commit to having a vehicle junk yard, that would be my easiest option.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good! Worship Applause Thumbsup

Want to try your hand on some HO scale ones? Goldth Eek Crazy
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(09-12-2021, 06:08 PM)tompm Wrote: Looking good! Worship Applause Thumbsup

Want to try your hand on some HO scale ones? Goldth Eek Crazy

Thanks Tom, maybe my paint lines would look a bit straighter if I did some in HO, but I've got my hands full trying to make something out of that pile of plastic junk.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Does your Trans van transport cross dressers? Big Grin I think a junk yard is the best thing for that last batch of cars.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(09-13-2021, 06:29 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Does your Trans van transport cross dressers? Big Grin  I think a junk yard is the best thing for that last batch of cars.

AzTrans is taking the same approach as CalTrans, we will transport anybody or anything, no discrimination here although we do prefer folks who are fully dressed. Rolleyes

And yes, there are a few that might be worth saving, but for the most part, I do have a start on a decent junk yard. That might be more fun putting together anyway. Icon_cool
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don,

your transit van looks pretty excellent Thumbsup

And more than ever out of 2m Entfernung [TM]*

Lutz

* (6.5 ft distance)
Thank you Lutz, who is the master at fine detailed vehicles. Worship Yeah, maybe 6 1/2 feet for super viewing is better in my case. Icon_lol  I am impressed though with some of the details these pewter models have, windshield wipers, side mirrors (just one in this case), license plates, door handles and more, most of which and almost impossible to paint separately. I need a brush with just one hair on it. Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and