The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Yeah, that literally extends the horizon and makes the layout look larger!

Wayne
Thanks guys, it's been a long time since I did any kind of painting. I have to admit though, I had help and inspiration and was mentored by someone that has years of experience in the movies, especially with doing scenes with red rocks in the pictures. Very famous, now retired but still enjoying an occasional run. You may recognize his name, Wile E. Coyote, of Loony Toons fame. Icon_rolleyes Icon_rolleyes  Yeah, we were watching one of his cartoons yesterday and I thought that the scene looked a lot like my backdrop.... I was thinking about adding a roadrunner and at least one item from ACME... BEEP...BEEP!!!! Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I agree with the others, nice work! Really adds a lot of depth to the layout.
Applause   Thumbsup   Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(02-22-2020, 07:06 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I agree with the others, nice work! Really adds a lot of depth to the layout.

Thank you kind sir. I still want to give credit to my close friend Wile E. Coyote for taking the time to give me direction and furnishing me with a supply of ACME paint, just like he uses in many of his cartoons. Misngth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-22-2020, 01:06 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 07:06 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I agree with the others, nice work! Really adds a lot of depth to the layout.

Thank you kind sir. I still want to give credit to my close friend Wile E. Coyote for taking the time to give me direction and furnishing me with a supply of ACME paint, just like he uses in many of his cartoons. Misngth

I assume you'll be adding a painted-on tunnel portal, useable by roadrunners, but not by coyotes.

Wayne
(02-22-2020, 02:14 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I assume you'll be adding a painted-on tunnel portal, useable by roadrunners, but not by coyotes.

Wayne

You mean like the one where a train actually come out and flatten him like a pancake???? I'm still trying to find the disappearing paint that he used, or was that Silvester the Cat????... Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, the "Square Foot" challenge is behind us, and I had a bit of cleanup to do, so I thought I'd start posting here again. The big thing was that I had light leaking underneath some of the buildings and even through some corners. Fortunately, I was able to pry off the roofs of some of the buildings and using those G-sized tweezers  Eek (actually for removing copy machine paper jams), to fit some strips of balsa wood inside to seal the leaks.

The tools:

Main St Day and night:

Frontier St Day and night:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup
Mike

Parking in Santa Maria has always been a problem, little on-street, no place for the apartment dwellers, shopper or visitors to the museum to legally park, so the town council offered an out-of-state company a site to build a garage. I was thinking above ground, Mikey suggested below ground and these guys came in with a bid that included both. Smaller footprint, lots of space. 2285_

The material consists of strips cut from that piece of large plastic that I bough at Home Depot. Been using it for a lot of things. I put together each floor and then space them out to put the side supports on.  At this point, I've got some finish work, sanding, painting adding signs and gates.

The last shot is where the contractor is digging through the foam-like substrate for the underground parking floors. It is a rather modern structure in an older area, but that's progress....

The material

The floors

Assembled but not finished

Digging for the below ground floors

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OMG, I love it Don, a parking building, AWESOME IDEA! Icon_e_biggrin  The building is really looking good too! Applause Applause
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Neat idea and looking good!
Mike

That looks good, Don, and a nice solution.  Applause Applause Applause

Now you need a bunch of cars so the town can start rakin' in the dollars.

Wayne
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I do like scratchbuilding, well, I just like building no matter what.

Got the construction crew working on the lower levels, so far they've dug out some 5,000 cubic yards of purple foam and are pouring around 250 cubic yards of N-scale reinforced concrete. Unfortunately, none of that will be visible once the structure is in place. I'm scouring the local junk yards to find a few suitable vehicles to get some revenue going...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got the parking garage painted and planted. Just a couple of big mistakes cost me a lot of time. First, I should have used balsa instead of plastic. The plastic I used was easy to cut and shape, but too difficult to sand and water-based paint doesn't adhere well. Second problem was that I ran out of model glue and used a substitute. "drys fast and clear" it says on the package, what it didn't say is that it doesn't dry hard. It stayed gummy and pulled like taffy, making getting rid of any squeeze-out a super tedious process.

Anyway, here's the results of my efforts. And the underground ramp I built was all for nought since it is not visible from any angle by humans. Well, I know it's there and I guess that's what counts....
'

'    

Somehow I thought that I posted a shot of the lower ramp leading to three more levels of parking. Here it is before the building went up;

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice job and a perfect addition to any city scene!
Mike