The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
We have a solution, but first, a side story. Years and years ago I was building a display booth for a trade show in LA. The union rules there would allow me to assemble my booth if it took one man less than 1/2 hour, otherwise I would have to hire some very expense labor. My thought was to build some boxes and to join them with some flat panels using removable pin door hinges. It worked fine to the dismay of the union supervisor who wanted me to take it down and prove I could assemble it in less than a half hour.

Now with that out of the way, I decided that my first design would not work because there would always be some wiggle room with the pins, so, remembering my experience with the booth, I changed the plan as follows: I cut the edge board into three pieces at 30 degrees for horizontal alignment. The MDF slips under the center board to keep it aligned vertically. Two hinges keeps everything locked together securely and prevents misalignment. I can now separate the two and lift either section up to get to the wiring and everything goes back into alignment afterwards.

Remembering the completion of the transcontinental railroad in 1869, we were able to obtain a bunch of gold-colored screws to use for this project, and all the little people gathered for a joining ceremony. I can still hear them celebrating as I type this....   Cheers

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Nice solution. Looks solid.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Don,

this is a really solid connection Applause 

Lutz
Yeah, that's what I need, now to add the track and check it out.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
We had a wee little incident in downtown Santa Maria. Seems as though the firehouse burned to the ground while the firemen were off having their weekly picnic over at Pat’s bar and grill. When they went to rebuild, they found that the town didn’t own the land it sat on and so they had to move next to the train station. Being el-Cheapo’s, the town council used the old blueprints from the one that burned down and built an identical one, so if it looks familiar, you know why.

Now that there is an empty lot on Main St., the real owner, Dewey Cheetum, was located and moved quickly to fill the spot with an older 3-story Victorian. Brenda’s Kitchen moved into the first floor store giving the town a second restaurant plus a bunch of decrepit, unfinished and overpriced apartments. Was everyone happy? Not a chance.... The firemen have to go farther now for their picnics, Dewey is upset looking for renters, but the cops are overjoyed, having coffee and donuts right next door.

Just a few shots before the building was moved to its new location:

Just so you know, but I think the interior of Brenda’s is highly detailed, booths, tables, chairs, coffee and soda machines and even cups, plates, napkins and silverware. It’s just that because the sun hits the front windows early in the morning, the new owners added window blinds (really did happen), blocking the view of the interior. You would be able to see the kitchen details by opening the back door, but, alas, that too can't happen. It could be all there, I'm just not sure....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Don,

Applause

Brenda's Kitchen,
some menu specialities:
- Leberknödel out of Rosenheim
- Coffee as black as a night could be (this is no dishwater!)

And i think the men of the fire departement (and the town council too) were very glad, that their fire engine was not a victim of the fire.

Lutz
Those are some good-looking structures, Don!   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Thanks guys, Lutz, fortunately, they were using that fire truck to get to their "picnic" so they could park in the fire zone. I'm not saying that was right, but it was legal.... Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice work Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Really good work on the buildings Don!
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks guys for the positive comments, I really enjoyed doing this one, as I do all the others regardless of how they turn out.

A few added comments. I tried Wayne’s technique using drywall compound for the mortar, but probably rushed things and so it got a bit messy; a few minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner took care of that. Starting again, I used Granite Gray for the trim, and I thinned some out to use for the mortar. That way there wouldn’t be any need to clean it off the trim when I got sloppy. Another comment is that the kit doesn’t come with any roof details, so I did my best with what I could find. Note that Brenda’s now has satellite TV, which of course, you can’t see inside to prove that they don’t. Misngth Then there was the windows, I sprayed everything with flat clear when I thought I was finished, but didn’t protect the window glazing. So, I had to use acetone to clean them, then more touch-up after that where the paint came off as well.  Crazy   Stupidity has no age limit. Nope  One more stupid mistake was waiting until everything was assembled before dressing the window. It usually works out OK doing it that way, but this kit design did not make it easy, especially around the bay windows. I may do some more work on that before I permanently plant the building. The only folks that are concerned about waiting are the cops in the police station next door, coffee... donuts... drooling....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got some progress, took me a few weeks to get Denny's back together. No, not 24/7, just glue and clamp something, then wait. Touch up or repaint something, then wait.... Go back and glue or paint something else, and wait. I thought it was in bad shape from being moved around, until I started working on it and it basically fell apart. Icon_cry

Anyway, this is what it looks like now and where it will eventually wind up. It is temporally in place, as is the wiring just to see if it still lights and fits. Still needs a bit more work and some paint touch up, but it's close to being finished. And yes, all the signs and interior does light although it's hard to see from these photos.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Yes Don,

a from basics up renovated diner Applause Thumbsup

Lutz
Looks good, Don.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
definitely Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup 2 thumbs up. (toilet paper roll counting)
Charlie