The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Thanks guys, I just convinced them to give a special discount to Big Blue members, so maybe you'd reconsider. There's also a special hourly rate for room 241, most people for some reason leave that room early, running and screaming out the door and dragging their suitcases behind.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It's been a while since I've done anything significant to post updates here, so I decided it was time to make changes to my control panel.

The challenge: I added a new section to my layout and need to control the power to the interchange tracks and show them on the graphics. I already had a spare track power switch installed, so it should be easy. The toggle switches are not a problem since they mount from the rear and can be pushed clear of the panel, but the pushbuttons mount from the front and cannot be taken out without unsoldering the wiring. My intent was to cut the non-glare overlay above the pushbuttons and just replace the top half of the panel graphics which are printed on a transparent sheet.

The results: the plastic broke not where I had the cut line, but where it wanted to, just below it (first two photos) and jagged.

The new plan: Glue the broken plastic overlay back in place, then put a new graphic sheet on top of it along with a new non-glare overlay and do so without removing the bottom row of pushbuttons. I can drill 1/4" holes for the toggle switches and 3/8" clearance holes for the pushbuttons. The third photo shows my drill jig setup. My biggest concern is cracking the thin overlay with the drill bit which I have done enough times in the past to know it can easily happen. Icon_redface

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(05-14-2022, 04:25 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Looking good Don!

Thanks Mike, I have had issues trying to get the new overlay to line up with the existing panel I built two years ago and finally found that the template that I printed is off just enough to cause the misalignment. All this time I've been thinking it was my drilling accuracy. Nope I've realigned the template and now I need to go to Lowe's for another sheet of acrylic. Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
According to some of my ex girlfriends my drilling accuracy was always a problem! Big Grin
Mike

TMI!!!
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
It's been a month since I started this project, but a few wrong path setbacks (five attempts at having a clear overlay that didn't crack and the holes all lined up Curse ), mixed with lots of interruptions dragged things out. But here we are, finally got the graphics changed, all wiring repaired and added a new frame. I was able to secure the panel without drilling through either the panel or the top of the frame. Worship

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
WOW!!!!! Nice work
Charlie
That's a nice clean-looking job, Don.   Worship Worship

Wayne
Good job, Don. Looks great
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks guys, the good thing is that if I change anything I can now replace the graphics and use the existing clear overlay. The big deal there is that the overlay now fits around the bottom row of front-mounted switches rather than being under them as the old one did. Getting it to line up exactly with the right diameter holes is why I had to scrap a few before getting it right, that plus the thin plastic cracked easily.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I agree with the others, very nicely done, looks totally professional!
Mike

(06-12-2022, 09:41 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I agree with the others, very nicely done, looks totally professional!

Thank you Mike, I do have to confess that I did make control and graphic panels professionally for quite a few years. That was over 20 years ago and it was my wife that did all the wire work and soldering. That's why this one was such a struggle.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don't matter, still very nicely done!
Mike