Searching for a part
Hi everyone

I am in need of 1 geared axle for an Atlas 8000 series S1. The part has not been available from Atlas for a number of years and the cost of NWSL gears (if they have them) are more than I can spend on a new locomotive.  The S1 I have was new old stock and had 2 bad gears. The one was still available.  It's a shame the manufactures don't keep parts for these models because most of us have locomotives over 20 years old and these axle gears seem to be a problem for a lot of different models.  I have replaced at least 60 axle gears on Athearn and proto locomotives and even had to replace some on BLI steam locomotives. 
      The part is 807301 and there is nothing else that I have found that will work.     

Charlie
Charlie,

because of the very first of these Atlas locos were made by Roco, there is hope Roco parts will do it. Later these locos were China made, with the same specs and measures, but the quality was not as good as it should be.

[Image: dsc05446dcib5.jpg]
Only an example for Roco axle gears.

Lutz
(04-05-2024, 05:47 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Charlie,

because of the very first of these Atlas locos were made by Roco, there is hope Roco parts will do it. Later these locos were China made, with the same specs and measures, but the quality was not as good as it should be.

[Image: dsc05446dcib5.jpg]
Only an example for Roco axle gears.

Lutz

Thanks Lutz but sadly the gears are not the same number of teeth. I actually have some of these. The China builds have more teeth on the gears. If worse comes to worse I can make it a 3 axle drive. I will keep an eye on evilbay for a donor locomotive. 
Charlie
Charlie what is the wheels in decimals and also the gear size and the number of teeth I have a box of loco drivers that i can look through don't know the brands of most of them but it's like 50 years of accumulation.
Jim
(04-05-2024, 09:54 AM)jim currie Wrote: Charlie what is the wheels in decimals and also the gear size and the number of teeth I have a box of loco drivers that i can look through don't know the brands of most of them but it's like 50 years of accumulation.
Jim

Jim, I will have to get the measurements and count the teeth I will do that tonight.  The shaft diameter is .07865  and the raised serrations make the diameter .0807  The gear has an OD of .2847 and it has 17 teeth.   
Charlie
Charlie,

is this what you are looking for?
https://weinert-modellbau.de/shop/weiner...-mm-detail

One of my sources for gears: https://shop.kkpmo.com/product_info.php?...7-6mm.html&=
Ask them if they mail to USA.

Lutz
I looked at the diagram and found a picture of the center idler gear on atlas' web site. I counted the teeth and they were the same number so I gambles and searched for that part number but the only ones left were in Canada so I found another gear with the same number of teeth on the Atlas site and since shipping was 6 bucks I ordered 4 of them at 1.50 each.  I had to press the gear on the axle and I must report that the locomotive is now repaired and ready for the paint shop  2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Charlie
Persistence pays off! Another locomotive saved from the scrap heap!
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows