A New Switcher For UP.
When I first saw this photo of UP's new switch engine I had a feeling of Déjà vu because of the resemblance this engine has with the Alco's C415.

Who would have thought?

https://www.railwayage.com/mechanical/lo...-repowers/
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I hoped that short NRE switcher would be a success when I saw the first photos more than ten years ago. It would be the perfect modern switcher for small layouts. Not much luck, the long 3GS21B became quite popular and Atlas made a model.
This one, my first real live Genset in Houston, is another shorter Genset that never made it to become a model.
[Image: 23714720053_3a54bd6606_c.jpg]IMG_0315 by Reinhard Peters, on Flickr
Reinhard
Says UP. The switcher units are being repowered by Progress Rail in Patterson, Ga., and will join UP’s yard locomotive fleet in the Bay Area and Sacramento beginning in fall 2018. The new switchers are expected to reduce PM (particulate matter) and NOx (oxides of nitrogen) emissions by more than 90% during operations, when compared to older locomotives. The new single-engine locomotives are designed to ultimately replace the genset concept UP developed with NRE in 2005. The railroad says it is the only Class I operating Tier 4 switchers and is the first Class I to pursue Tier 4 repowers.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The engine that looks like a C415 is NOT the new switch engine, that's a genset built in 2005 that is being replaced.