AMTRAK TO USE DRONES FOR HIGH SPEED TRAINS
Amtrak announced today that they are implementing a Drone Reconnoiter Initiative Program (DRIP).  This program will begin sometime this month.  It involves having a second person in the cab of every Amtrak train that will fly a drone an average of a half mile to three quarters of a mile in front of the engine. 

Amtrak commented that applications are being taken on their website and that any interested party can apply for the position.  At the program's onset, there will be 41 available volunteer positions. An Amtrak spokesman said that model railroaders will seriously be considered.

The outlook is that the drones will give the Engineers advance warning of any potential hazards that lie around hidden curves such as trespassers on the rails and of course vehicles at grade crossings. An employee  that wished to remain anonymous stated that she was hoping that it would help prevent most of Amtrak’s delays from striking people that refuse to move when a train horn blows.

There are approximately 41 dangerous blind curves along the NEC and 411 throughout the rails that Amtrak runs all across the US.  This could potentially save 4 hours and 1 minute every month because the engineers will be able to see around curves and be able to stop in time before an accident occurs.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just a tad early but a clever idea.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Hey, I jumped at the chance to do something practical like this, so I went to the website and applied.  I filled out the forms they sent me and now my fingers are crossed since they said I was only the 41st person to apply. I really stand a good chance of being selected. 2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
An Amtrak spokesman said that model railroaders will seriously be considered.

There's the giveaway on the joke.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I thought all the 4's and 1's would be the give away Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

"I" got "got" by a facebook post saying that he 4014 didn't pass the boiler test. My heart stopped for a second...
That was just Mean!!!! Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75