johnson house
after being mostly done with farm house I moved on to start finishing the john Johnson house in Oregon . got the plans off the library of congress site . this house has a look that appealed to me .

though I had to make some concessions Worship   on the front I think I captured the essence of the place,

the close up .

now to finish the side porch and shingle the place.
Applause
Worship 
You captured it quite nicely!
Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yup, I agree with Mike, nice job capturing the look... Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
thanks guys, what sold me was the front entry way if you can see in the closeup it is board and batten not ship lap like the rest of the house .the front steps caused me to develop a new system for building them .  will post more on it as I get the side porch added on.
Nice work, Jim!
It's very likely that the whole house, at one time, was board and batten, then later sheathed-over with shiplap/clapboard, or novelty siding.  That was sometimes done right over the battens, while other examples had the battens removed before the re-siding.

Wayne
(04-03-2019, 08:18 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Nice work, Jim!
It's very likely that the whole house, at one time, was board and batten, then later sheathed-over with shiplap/clapboard, or novelty siding.  That was sometimes done right over the battens, while other examples had the battens removed before the re-siding.

Wayne

could be the house was originally built in 1852  the drawings list shiplap on front rear and left side on the right its novelty, the photo dates between 1933 and 1940 .
getting closer I finally got the side porch on , though a had to make a few compromises  the look is the same I think.

as you can see in photo the deck is built to last but the roof is a cobblers dream. looks like the roof and supports are unpainted . now for my build.

I built it a little bit more substantial than the original , it looked like the posts are 4 by 4   I made them 6 by 6 for handling. the deck supports will be mostly buried when put on layout.

still looks like a stiff breeze would take it out, I'm going to leave it with a unpainted look . next is the kitchen side porch it was built to last . 

now to move onto the roofing.
well it was a sad day yesterday I got tired of messing with the problem roof Icon_cry

( needed .100 plastic for roof didn't have so I laminated .040 and .060 together ) never gave thought to the fact they were two different types  of plastic with different shrink rates  as you can see  Eek

. and now I haven't been able to order .100 yet .

Jim
Hang in there, you will get er' done!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Great-looking build, Jim! Applause Applause Applause

I use .060" sheet styrene (I buy it in 4'x8' sheets) for large structures, and also for roofs on smaller buildings.  To prevent warping, I also use the same material for interior bracing, a few examples which can be seen in this thread.  While I don't usually do interior details, some of these fairly recent structures were built in a manner which allows access to the interior, even if it's already installed on the layout.

Wayne