operation challenge
has anyone used a gauntlet as a operation challenge one end of current layout being built will be serviced by the astf and the dgr&w both having separate yards. my road the pb&l has trackage rights on the sf , there is only space for one track between buildings  going into town . my question would  joining both roads before bridge with a turnout then separating them  after bridge and town access  or run a gauntlet over bridge and town access  ?
Gantlet tracks were relatively rare. They would more likely have a pair of switches.
Sounds like an interesting challenge. I built my layout with lots of no-no's. Industries on the drill track for the yard, multiple industries on a single spur, an industry on the passing siding/run-around, etc. Would love to see how it turns out if you decide to build it.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Some railroads were real cheapies, especially with bridges.
CN built a Toronto bypass in the 60s and the bridge over the Humber river had a gauntlet the last time I was detoured over it (probably in the 90s). That was for a double track mainline.
The line farther west seemed to be single track with passing sidings between the bridges over rivers; bridges over roads were paid for by the roads department and were double track width.

In your case, it might depend on whether your roads need to interchange cars at that point.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(04-13-2019, 07:38 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Some railroads were real cheapies, especially with bridges.
CN built a Toronto bypass in the 60s and the bridge over the Humber river had a gauntlet the last time I was detoured over it (probably in the 90s). That was for a double track mainline.
The line farther west seemed to be single track with passing sidings between the bridges over rivers; bridges over roads were paid for by the roads department and were double track width.

In your case, it might depend on whether your roads need to interchange cars at that point.

my road interchanges with the sf the rg serves two or three costumers  in town  and tracks dead-end there the sf goes on (backdown to hidden storage yard ). the sf curves before  bridge the rg goes straight  my road joins up with the sf about 18 inches before the  bridge sf goes into tunnel down to storage yard . the reason I was leaning toward the gauntlet was it would eliminate 2  turnouts  and maintaining  them for me and the roads.
"In your case, it might depend on whether your roads need to interchange cars at that point."

Just because there is a switch on either end of the bridge, that doesn't mean its an interchange. For example the UP and BNSF both use the UP bridge over the Red River at the Texas-Oklahoma border but there is no "interchange" there (if you are traveling on US 75 and look east as you cross the Red River you can see the bridge). The two railroads do not exchange cars there, The both just make straight away moves from their track to the bridge and back to their track.