1 : 1 scale modeling
We just finished a great work session today. Lots of grinding tools, smoke , and impact hammers. All this action and Hide the children, Cause we have a naked B-unit.

All of the panels were removed from the engineers side and we even managed to get a few removed from the other side as well. All the panels will be sandblasted clean and powder coated before they get reinstalled. Here are a few shots of the work in progress.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
And while I was there I grabbed a few shots of the Baldwin shop switcher. The progress on that is going along nicely.

Nice pics!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

I know how gratifying it is to work on the real ones... Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks for the pictures Steve. I enjoy seeing others do the work. Goldth
Charlie
Thanks for sharing the photos, looks like a lot of good work is bing done Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
e-paw Wrote:And while I was there I grabbed a few shots of the Baldwin shop switcher. The progress on that is going along nicely.

[Image: file.php?id=19583]

[Image: file.php?id=19584]

[Image: file.php?id=19585]

Steam in its clearest form! What for a look!
50 years ago I worked as steam engine repair man - so you should understand my love to it. Thanks for these pictures!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Over the last two weeks we have been removing all the exterior panels from the B-unit to prep her for paint.

One part of this is to remove the old door frames from the sides of the unit. This might seem like overkill , but she was built in the early 50's, and rust and dirt have built up everywhere. It really needs to be removed. We figure that we are probably the only group to do this in the last 30 years or so, no one goes to this much effort in tearing them down anymore. Just incase you ever feel the urge to remove the side doors from an EMD covered wagon I'll give you a little how too.

First you will need to remove the steps from the bottom of the door frame     There are four bolts that hold it to a spacer that drops into the loco's frame.     I broke one off trying to get it out, some are rusted fast and will either break off or will need to be cut off, That's just what happens in a restoration like this. The stainless steel kick plate will also have to be removed.

Next the weld that holds the door strike to the loco frame will have to be cut.    
With the weld cut, like so....    
We turn our attention to the inside bottom step.     It has a few tack welds that hold it in place. An angle grinder and a few shots with a hammer and it will be out of the way. You can really see all the rust and dirt trapped in there. that will all need to be cleaned up.    
With that out of the way. We now move to the top of the door. Here there is a channel that holds the top of the door to the frame. Four small screws hold it in place, most of them are frozen in place, and will need to be cut. Once they are cut it pries out easily with a screwdriver.     After that is removed, A few good blows to the bottom corners from the inside, with a small sledge and...     It's out. You will just want about three people to grab it so it doesn't come crashing to the floor.
One thing that we have been doing is to tag every piece that we take off the unit so we know just what it is. you can see the tag on the removed door frame in the upper right corner.    
Just do this three more times and you're finished. Each frame takes a little more than an hour to remove.

Here are a few shots of the mess that we have found under the panels.    

So the next time you go out to take some pictures of one of these restored units just think about all the work that goes into getting them back up and running.
I was at the ARHS convention today and ran into a man by the name of Kermit Geary. He is an avid rail photographer and historian. Last year he was at Steamtown on the day that we dropped the rear truck of F-3 #664 for cleaning and reinstalled it. During his visit he took a series of photos of the work that we did that day, I asked him for permission to post them here and here they are. All these pictures are from Kermit's collection and I thank him for the opportunity to share them with you.

Here we are with the truck spotted on the drop table after cleaning out the #3 traction motor (it's the one on the far side of the truck). Soon we will lower it down into the pit and position it under the old EMD. That's me in the white hat and overalls.    

This shot is of us taking pictures of the underside of the F-3 with our cell phones. Oh,, and we are spotting the truck under the unit.    

Now we are going over our next move before we do it. It's a good idea in a case like this when you're dealing with large heavy things that are moving around in tight spaces.    

Here I am taking a little nap in-between the rear truck and the under frame of the diesel.    

Now we are doing the hardest part of the entire project, reattaching the traction motor cables on the #3 motor. They fit together like a set of glad hands, but you have to beat them together with a hammer. Then an insulating sleeve slides over them and they are secured to the frame by a bracket. the leads on the #4 motor (also on that truck) are a bit longer and that makes them easier to install. Not so on this one.     And I am sure that I have more hair than what shows up in that last photo.. It must be some kind of trick lighting. Nope
It was a hot, sticky day, and we did a very messy job. It was well worth it, getting all that old lube oil out of the #3 motor improved the traction effort greatly on 664. Now we will soon be doing very similar work on the B-unit, 664-b will most likely be it's number. But, that won't be for a while.
I just want to thank Mr. Geary for the photos. They show what most Rail fans never get to see.
I have to urge everyone that can to check out the Trains Magazine facebook page. We ( as in the F-3 trio) are in the running for a cash prize that will go to replacing the air compressor on 663.. Just like the post on our F-3's to give us a vote... Thanks to all and happy new year.
I did a little research on our F-3 trio and found some technical info on them that may be worth posting.

DL&W 664 was ----BAR # 504a ( could have been renumbered to BAR 44 )
Serial # 5174
Order # E875
Built 5/1948

DL&W 663 was ----BAR # 506a
Serial # 5180
Order # 876
Built 5/1948

CNJ D was---- B&M # 4268b ( originally built as an F-7b Converted to an F-3 b by the ARHS )
Serial # 12383
Order # 6150
Built 11/1950
( Soon to be DL&W 664b)
Thanks all for your help, We have won the $1,000 prize that will help with the purchase of a new compressor for 663. Hopefully we will get it installed in time for the big streamliner show in Spencer NC.
Waveof7 Waveof7 Dancing
that is great.
Charlie
e-paw Wrote:Thanks all for your help, We have won the $1,000 prize that will help with the purchase of a new compressor for 663. Hopefully we will get it installed in time for the big streamliner show in Spencer NC.
Cool!!! Congrats!! Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???