New Plan
Thanks Charlie...
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Another month gone by...the T & A hasn't progressed much, but the layout ro has...finally have adequate lighting in the room. I didn't want to hang lights from the ceiling, so I put up a 12'' wide shelf 18'' above the benchwork...then hung Home Depot 4' shop lights under the shelf and finished it out with a 6"" valance...makes the whole room look a little more finished, and a good place to stash my other stuff....

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

Richard, you have made great progress. The lighting looks great.
Charlie
HI,

progress on your layout and room is looking nice.... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Richard: Can you get a photo up under the valance so we can see how you did it?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Sure David, it's pretty straight forward Home Depot stuff...I didn't want to hang lights from the ceiling, so I figured this was the best way...

I installed 6x8 metal shelving brackets along the walls and then just attached pine 1x12s along the walls. I left some small gaps on both sides of the room to allow cable access from underneath.    

The lights are plugged into a 3-way extension cord laying on the top of the shelf and the other end of the cord is plugged into power strips under the workbench. I have 3 lights per power strip, giving me 2 on-off switches under the workbench instead of pulling 6 on-off chains...The extension cord dropping behind the layout will be behind the backdrop out of sight        

The valance itself is 1/4 inch plywood with a nice walnut finished side cut into 6'' strips and glued and nailed around the front of the shelving. I finished it with some prefab molding I found in the garage and will finally stain to match later...    
Cheers,
Richard

Thanks.
I wonder if I can get permission to add brackets to the wall ...
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
If you'd like, I'll ask permission for you... Icon_lol
Cheers,
Richard

(01-10-2014, 05:34 PM)scubadude Wrote: Here's an updated track plan...I didn't get a whole lot of feedback on the original posting, this updated version shows the EB and WB hidden interchange/staging. The intent is to have a place for the EB and WB thru freights to go and return from later. I did not intend to give so much space to a single sawmill, but the more I researched how they operated the bigger it got, but I think it will look cool when it's done...

So far my experience with trackplanning software has helped, but for me touching, feeling and moving around the track is better.  The plan on paper translated pretty well to the benchwork, but I underestimated some clearances for scenery and buildings, etc so I will have to make some adjustments come scenery time. So just because if fits nicely on paper might mean your planned mountain will be more like a mole hill...

If y'all see anything I need to change, don't be bashful...at this stage I have all risers and foam roadbed down with track loosely in place.  I seem to spend a lot of time just staring at it and imagining all the movements and can't stare anymore, so now you can stare..... Confusedunhock:

Next up: laying track and aligning and wiring those %^&*$#% tortoise switch machines... Wallbang

Is there some reason I can not open up that image of his trackplan? I was reading thru this subject thread in hopes of seeing what others had done with their logging track plans
unfortunately these are some of the images lost in a crash several years ago.
Charlie

(07-27-2019, 08:35 AM)railandsail Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 05:34 PM)scubadude Wrote: Here's an updated track plan...I didn't get a whole lot of feedback on the original posting, this updated version shows the EB and WB hidden interchange/staging. The intent is to have a place for the EB and WB thru freights to go and return from later. I did not intend to give so much space to a single sawmill, but the more I researched how they operated the bigger it got, but I think it will look cool when it's done...

So far my experience with trackplanning software has helped, but for me touching, feeling and moving around the track is better.  The plan on paper translated pretty well to the benchwork, but I underestimated some clearances for scenery and buildings, etc so I will have to make some adjustments come scenery time. So just because if fits nicely on paper might mean your planned mountain will be more like a mole hill...

If y'all see anything I need to change, don't be bashful...at this stage I have all risers and foam roadbed down with track loosely in place.  I seem to spend a lot of time just staring at it and imagining all the movements and can't stare anymore, so now you can stare..... Confusedunhock:

Next up: laying track and aligning and wiring those %^&*$#% tortoise switch machines... Wallbang

Is there some reason I can not open up that image of his trackplan? I was reading thru this subject thread in hopes of seeing what others had done with their logging track plans