Crossing Signals on the Prototype
On a prototype railroad, how many crossing signs (whether they're just crossbucks or crossbucks with flashing signals) would there likely be for a single road that crosses three successive sets of tracks?  One on approach to the inner track plus one on approach to the outer track (for a total of two), a pair for each set of tracks (total of six, which sounds like overkill) or some other combination?

On my small (7' x 5') HO layout set between 1947-1955, one road crosses three tracks.  The two inner tracks lead to a freight depot, and the outer is the mainline track. With such close proximity to each other (8" from the innermost rail to the outermost rail), I'm thinking that one crossbuck for the inner tracks and one for the outer tracks on opposing sides will suffice without cluttering up the area.

And for such a setup (with relatively light automobile traffic going to and from the depot and a nearby grain mill and farmhouse), would simple crossbucks or crossbucks with flashing signals be more realistic?

Thanks for your input!
I've seen them like this with 1 crossbuck on each side of the crossing. 2 total, guarding all 3 tracks:

https://avopix.com/premium-photo/1035568...-sign-with
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Mikey,

That's the way I'm leaning - two total for such a small area.
Three tracks here,  with two crossbucks, plus a crossing watchman protecting the two tracks to the right, and another two crossbucks protecting the one track at left...

[Image: Lower%20level%20photos...%20004.jpg]

....while they're not all in the view here, this is the same area as viewed from track level (before the crossing watchman's shanty was built)...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd311.jpg]

Two tracks here, fairly close together, and while the crossbucks aren't all that visible in this aerial view, just the two protecting the two tracks...

[Image: Lower%20level%20photos...%20006.jpg]

...here's a better view, also taken before the crossing watchman's shanty was built...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd214-2.jpg]

...and with the watchman's shanty in place...

[Image: 100_7970.jpg]

Five tracks here, protected by wig-wag signals, although I may add gates to the scene, too.  They'll be manually controlled from the elevated watchman's tower.....

[Image: Layoutviewsetc016.jpg]

The crossing at Indian Line is a mere one track, and also protected only by crossbucks...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd302.jpg]

...but some of the local motorists push their luck with eastbound trains, which are fighting both an uphill grade and the curve...and sometimes turn out to be not so lucky

[Image: freshfoe-toes009.jpg]

Wayne
Depending on your era I have seen crossbucks with signs below say "2 tracks".

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(11-19-2019, 10:03 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Three tracks here,  with two crossbucks, plus a crossing watchman protecting the two tracks to the right, and another two crossbucks protecting the one track at left...

[Image: Lower%20level%20photos...%20004.jpg]

....while they're not all in the view here, this is the same area as viewed from track level (before the crossing watchman's shanty was built)...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd311.jpg]

Two tracks here, fairly close together, and while the crossbucks aren't all that visible in this aerial view, just the two protecting the two tracks...

[Image: Lower%20level%20photos...%20006.jpg]

...here's a better view, also taken before the crossing watchman's shanty was built...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd214-2.jpg]

...and with the watchman's shanty in place...

[Image: 100_7970.jpg]

Five tracks here, protected by wig-wag signals, although I may add gates to the scene, too.  They'll be manually controlled from the elevated watchman's tower.....

[Image: Layoutviewsetc016.jpg]

The crossing at Indian Line is a mere one track, and also protected only by crossbucks...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd302.jpg]

...but some of the local motorists push their luck with eastbound trains, which are fighting both an uphill grade and the curve...and sometimes turn out to be not so lucky

[Image: freshfoe-toes009.jpg]

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the super photos!  Very helpful.
(11-20-2019, 07:15 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Depending on your era I have seen crossbucks with signs below say "2 tracks".

Tom

Tom,

I've now added that omission to my original post.  My era is 1947-1955.
(11-20-2019, 07:15 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Depending on your era I have seen crossbucks with signs below say "2 tracks".

In my previous post, the fourth photo from the bottom shows crossbucks with a separate board on the same post advising that there are two tracks at this crossing.

Wayne