WRRy Projects
While I haven't been making any progress designing Camp Pierre or any other module for potential use while I've been here in Korea, I did get a little handy working on caboose C1 and inspecting the Bachmann van that a friend from the Clarksville Model RR club gave to me. I took down dimensions of the original motor to see if I can find a potential replacement and that's about it. I know it was a tight squeeze to let Thomas have DCC, but this one might be tighter as I think even a Z scale decoder may be too big. More to follow on that later.

Caboose C1, however, has had slightly more progress done to her than just measurements. A few days ago, I painted her underframe and internal weights black and today I cut down the toolbox that will be mounted on the underside of the car. The original toolbox was from one of my Athearn caboose kitbashes that are now C5 and C6 and the cast metal detail was left over from a old work car that was crushed on it's way from Korea last time I was here. Weather permitting (since it's monsoon season here, lots of rain and humidity) it should be painted sometime this week. I haven't had a chance to hit up a hobby store, so right now I'm working with flat black spray paint and Gorilla glue.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]
WRRy caboose C1 got a little more work done to her yesterday. I painted her roof and the toolbox black. I do have a issue I haven't had before, when I peeled back the masking tape some of the paint on the window castings came off with the tape. What I'm probably going to do is pop out the castings, strip the paint off and try again. Hopefully I can find the right paint on the internet, as I used the Floquil Caboose Red aerosol paint and hopefully they'll ship it to me over here without an issue. Finding it over here would be almost impossible as Koreans don't seem to believe in model railroading. I haven't found any luck at finding another model railroad hobby shop, and the only one I knew of is in Seoul. They mostly carried N scale stuff, and what little HO scale stuff they did have was all RTR stuff. Especially with Floquil going out of business soon I'm sure I don't have a easy task ahead of me.

About two or three weeks ago on eBay I bought a set of five old Roundhouse gondolas from River City Railroad on eBay. I don't know where they get the undecorated MDC cars from, especially in any quantity, and sell them for $17 for the set plus s&h. But hey, it's great for me! The WRRy now has enough gons for a while, as I have two painted, decaled and on my roster, and will have three or four more. I'll keep some undecorated in case I change my mind or find some other decals to decorate it for another railroad. I was going to decorate one for the Lehigh, Susquehanna & Western but the logo is a little too large for the side of the car.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Tyler the paint didn't "pop" off Eek . What happened is called weathering ! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Tyler the paint didn't "pop" off Eek . What happened is called weathering ! Icon_lol

I'm actually contemplating leaving the currently exposed metal as is for the weathering effect. However, I have two issues with that; first, the window frame would have been made of wood, so the color would be incorrect. Second, railroads of the time (mostly) took pride in their equipment and would have fixed the issue. I know the real Whiskey River Railway maintains their fleet of rolling stock meticulously and I want to emulate that in the model Whiskey River Railway.

Cabooses C1-C4 are the oldest in real-world time on the roster. C1, pictured in my last post, along with C2 are Silver Streak models, C3 is a slightly modified Red Ball Wabash kit, and C4 is a steel Roundhouse cupola that had the metal underframe and couplers. I like using the old school stuff, it adds a unique factor that many model railroads that I've seen don't have.
Tyler D.
General Manager
The Whiskey River Ry MoW crews get their first truck painted in the railroad's colors. A few more coats of paint and some other details and it'll be put in service. Not sure who made the truck but it is a model of a 1940 Ford F1.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Wow, long time between updates, but glad to see you're making progress. Do like the truck...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(03-10-2020, 12:32 PM)ezdays Wrote: Wow, long time between updates, but glad to see you're making progress. Do like the truck...

I agree with both of Don's comments, and will add that it's good to hear from you again, Tyler. 

I'm curious, though...are the GERN ads still getting through to you in Korea?  If not, and you're still interested in receiving them, please send me a PM which includes your current e-mail address.

Cheers,

Wayne
Applause Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string