Ezdays' 2020 a bit over one sqare foot challenge
I'm working my way through my layout, got the rural area pretty much done, next is the town of Santa Maria's "downtown" area. This is partially the area outlined in blue, and although it is N scale, I'm still looking at around one square foot. I may go beyond that a bit since I still have a few buildings that I rescued from my old layout. Not sure what goes where yet, but I'll figure out something that works with what I've already got built and in kits....

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Nice Idea!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just trying to figure out what works, and this is what I've come up with... so far... The first photo shows my first thought, one street through town with a few buildings from my first layout and adding a firehouse kit. Looked too strung out, so I got permission from the town and the railroad to dig away some of the foam on the right-of-way to allow the construction of another street. Note that there is a construction crew busy digging away at the foam, working day and night so we can meet the April 30th completion date. I can now add a few more structures, the firehouse, an apartment building and an office building. A few structures still need repairs, and I've already done so with the Museum and a few others. There will be a playground by the school and a park next to the museum. I want to add an underpass and bridge, but that will come later on Got enough to do now as it is.

FIRST TRY:

NEW PLAN:

CONSTRUCTION CREW BUSY MAKING WAY FOR NEW STREET:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That looks good so far! Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I like the two streets better, makes for a busier town. I hope your N scale DOT people make better progress than mine do!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mikey, "so far" means there's a long way to go

(03-07-2020, 05:57 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I like the two streets better, makes for a busier town. I hope your N scale DOT people make better progress than mine do!

Well, in fact, the DOT had it on the schedule for sometime in June, so I had to hire some itinerant crew I found just sitting around a coffee shop. Looks like they're doing OK although I'm just afraid to look to see where they're dumping the foam they're taking away.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don all of us model railroaders have a super fund clean-up site somewhere! Big Grin
Mike

(03-08-2020, 06:28 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Don all of us model railroaders have a super fund clean-up site somewhere!  Big Grin

We should be able to get government funding for that, shouldn't we????? Awesome I'm rich, I'm rich..... 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
If you figure out out to do that count me in!!! Big Grin
Mike

(03-09-2020, 06:45 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: If you figure out out to do that count me in!!! Big Grin
Well, right now the local hazmat crew is busy working on a glue spill, not quite enough to qualify for super-fund cleanup, but I'm getting there. Awesome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Got some progress to report. Little work crew did a great job on getting rid of all the foam they dug out. I didn't ask where it all went and they never said.... Got the mason crew working on a brick wall. Over 260' of brick over reinforced cement wall. Well over 10,000 hand-laid bricks, but they got the job done 160 times faster than normal and accepted Ncash as payment. The wall needs to be back-filled and a final washing once the mortar has cured.

I created a full-size template for the area being worked on making it possible to work off-site to put in the gutters, streets and sidewalks. Once that's done, I have a helicopter crew on standby to place the template where it needs to be moved from the workbench to the layout.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good idea Don!
Mike

(03-13-2020, 05:04 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Good idea Don!

Yeah, at my age, I'm happy not to have to stand up to reach where I need to. Should make life a lot easier, now I have to clear space on my workbench.... Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just moving along slowly, but making some progress. I finally got the concrete guys to do the curbing as sidewalks, then the asphalt crew came and paved the streets. Meanwhile, got the masons back to lay cobblestones along Old Town St. One thing that I didn't count on though was that the glue they used to hold the sidewalks in place made the foam board warp. Concrete guys disclaimed responsibility, blaming the manufacturer of the foam board. I'm just hoping that when it gets glued in place that it goes back flat.

I've been working on the fire house kit, got a ways to go there yet but at least the walls are up and windows and doors are in place.

The thing is, it's been so long since I've built anything that I'm prone to making some real rookie mistakes, and have to retrain myself on how things need to be done. It's like retracing one's learning curve, only it's a lot slower now than before.... Icon_rolleyes

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good, just need to add some potholes and panhandlers!
Mike