doctorwayne's sorta one-foot challenge...
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Goldth

I finished painting the support structure a few minutes ago....what a miserable job.  I'm using Scalecoat paint, not more than a few years old, but apparently with a short shelf-life.  It was actually a combination of some black and red, so a decent brown colour for creosote.  Unfortunately, it's mostly sludge and too thick to shake with any hope of blending the colours.  It was actually destined for a trip to the hazardous waste depot.   I gave it a few stirs, then more-or-less daubed it on, as it starts to dry almost as soon as it hits the plastic.  Luckily, most of it is underneath, discoverable only by the next owner.

Here's the start of the warehouse, which is designed to snap-in-place onto its base...

...and installed on the base, showing the floorplan...

It was originally going to be all one room, but the walls are rather flimsy, so I added an interior liner of .020" sheet styrene, then decided that an office was needed for the agent, and also added a few semi-partitions in order to stiffen the walls.
I'll probably make a removeable roof, but will also leave the structure removeable from its base, as it will make any future interior work easier.  I do plan to make at least the freight doors operable...they'll be simple sliders, somewhat like those on a boxcar, but in the interior of the building.

Here's a view of the front (viewable side when on the layout)...

...and the back, which will face the siding....

I was about to wash the building, along with the doors and windows, in preparation for painting, but I think that I should build the roof structure first.

Wayne
I'm always amazed about how precise your work is!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(03-19-2020, 06:25 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I'm always amazed about how precise your work is!

Agree, I envy both of you for the level of detail you guys consistently produce.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks again guys, but both of you are working on stuff half the size of what I'm doing, so I'll deflect the compliments  right back atcha!  Worship Worship Goldth

Wayne
Finally a little more progress on the Elfrida LCL warehouse.

I had some issues with another scratchbuilt building where one of the gable ends warped quite severely inward, due to insufficient bracing, so I made the roof for this one so that it interlocks with the structure. 

It's well-braced, with a deep ridge support, which slides between a pair of uprights cemented to the interior side of both gable ends.  Hopefully, the set-up is understandable from these two photos...

After that, I sorta got involved with working on this, and neglected to take in-progress photos, so here are a few views of it, temporarily on the layout where it will eventually end-up.

This side faces the track...

...while this side faces the access road and parking lot, although there's not much room for a truck to back-up to the loading platform...

...a couple of views of the freight doors, with this one slightly open...

...and both front and rear doors open...

...and finally, a close-up of the brackets supporting the platform's overhanging roof...

I still need to add a smokejack  (or two) on the roof, and may add a few interior details to finish it.

I'm undecided on whether to "plant" the first two structures on the layout next, or to get working on the next part needed to get a little closer to the required one square foot.

Wayne
First rate build Wayne! Applause   2285_   Worship   Thumbsup
Mike

Looking great Wayne, I've got a lot of catching up to do, but you're setting the pace.... Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks, guys. Goldth  I have at least three more of these smallish railroad-owned outbuildings in mind.

However, my son is coming to visit from P.E.I. for a week or two, so my progress may slow considerably, as he's also a "night person".  He's currently at about the 1/3 point of the 1100 mile drive.

Wayne
Here's the track-side view with the smokejacks installed...

Not sure when I'll get started on the next one.

Wayne
Looks right at home!
Mike

I love the details, so cool!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks again, guys.

Here's the LCL warehouse, just after getting sprayed with "wet" water and an application of diluted white glue, to hold it in its place in Elfrida....

[Image: 100_8725.jpg]

The MoW structure had a few installation issues, so is not yet ready for prime-time viewing.  Icon_redface

I've just barely started on part three of my Challenge, and have a part four and five on my to-do list, but have recently been sidetracked by some other non-Challenge layout work, which has included ballasting and installing remote turnout controls, mostly in Lowbanks, where the addition of the partial second level of the layout has made manual operation of turnouts, using Caboose Industries ground throws, very difficult to either reach or see.
I'll start a new thread to show some of that non-Challenge work, even though I found some of it rather challenging.

Wayne
Here are a couple photos of the MoW building in place...

[Image: MoW%20building%20view%201.jpg]

[Image: MoW%20building%20view%202.jpg]

[Image: MoW%20building%20view%203.jpg]

...and here are the main components for part 3 of my Challenge build...

[Image: Challenge%20part%203a.jpg]

[Image: Challenge%20part%203b.jpg]

I'll be using the tower support and a few details from the Revell sandhouse and fuel tank, which dates from my first layout in the '50s, but will use the plastic roll from an office machine, which originally held paper, to create a new tank.

I have hopes for parts 4, 5, and 6, too, although if I get to the sixth one, it won't likely be finished by the end of the month, as it may be rather complicated.

Wayne
That looks so natural, like it's been there for a while. Great job, let's hope you have enough time to get everything done.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The buildings look great Wayne!
Mike