Exploring Zoom chat
It was suggested in another thread here that we get together occasionally for a facetime chat using Zoom. That seems to be currently the most popular venue to do that. I have only had one Zoom meeting with one doctor and I was forced to use my cell phone. When I couldn't hear them, they wound up seeing a lot of my right ear. Eek The next time we will use my computer or I'll go to his office.

From what I understand, you can use Zoom on any device that has a camera and microphone. I went ahead and registered on Zoom and downloaded their app, but have yet to install it. As I understand, you can use Zoom through your browser with or without the Zoom extension. They have free and paid versions, the free version allows someone to schedule a meeting of up to 100 people and it can last 40 minutes which should be sufficient for our needs. Again, not being that into Zoom, it appears that the person scheduling the meeting sends everyone else a link with the time and date of the meeting. Clicking the link brings you into the meeting.

If there is anyone here that is more knowledgeable about Zoom, clue us in please. In the meantime, I think this is a great idea, way beyond the old chat room that we stopped using years ago. If anyone is interested in doing this, post something here and give us an idea of when it would be a good day and time to do this. Remember, we are in a lot of different time zones, so let's use EST as our reference. We can try to do this once a week, once or twice a month, or whatever works.

We are in the exploratory stage, so let me know what you thing and give us some of your ideas about doing this.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I don't know anything about how to use or install Zoom but I think this is a good idea.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(08-27-2020, 05:06 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: I don't know anything about how to use or install Zoom but I think this is a good idea.

Well, the Zoom meeting with my  doctor kinda went like this. The nurse sent me a link by text for my cell phone. When I clicked on it I got a box that asked if I would allow them access to my speaker, then another to allow access to my camera. Once I clicked on "allow" both times, the nurse appeared on my screen. I wanted to use my computer, but the link took too long to get to my inbox, and so she used my cell phone instead. That didn't work too well since I wound up holding the phone to my ear just to hear her.

I've got a Skype visit with my wife this afternoon, they have my Skype address and so I just open Skype and then wait until they show up.

I'll install the Zoom app and let you know how that goes. I'm going to ask Pat to do the same and see if we can have a Zoom meeting tonight. As I said, you should be able to use Zoom though your browser without installing anything.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I changed the title of this thread, I wasn't aware that there was a site called, "Facetime". That's how aware I am of this social media stuff.

Anyway, I installed the Zoom app on my computer, and Pat and I are going to check it out tonight. They still say that you don't need to have the app installed to use Zoom, you can do it through your browser. I know that works because I did it once a few weeks ago with that doctor "visit". I also had a Skype visit with my wife yesterday. The Skype thing was easy, the visit, not so much. She hasn't a clue what's going on there with these virtual visits, but they're not allowing personal ones for a while yet.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
we have been using zoom for about 5 months now and it works ok wife even played a game with one of her friends on it i have had a couple of doctor appointments  that went well also using a 2 in 1 tablet. think its worth a shot . 
Jim
Being unemployed (retired) I am free most times but I think a Sunday evening would work best for more folks and we could schedule an odd ball time once a month so the folks overseas or down under could be on at a reasonable time their time.  I understand facebook has something similar so members that have joined the BIg Blue FB page can do a video chat there. I know the one on one video call works great because I use it a lot as my preferred way to communicate, It is great for the hearing impaired. 
Charlie
Did a Zoom chat yesterday with Pat. Easy-peasy, you don't even have to install the app to participate in a meeting. The originator just sends out links and a time for the meeting to your email. Just click on the link and the originator is notified that you're there. If anyone wants to try it with more than just two people, send me a PM with your email address and we can set something up. Pat used a tablet, I used my PC, but you can use any device that has a camera, mic, and speaker. This really is 100 times better than a chat room, no confusing multiple conversations, just like a bunch of people sitting around a conference table talking.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
My laptop has a camera, not sure about the mic but I do have a headset with a mic I think.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(08-31-2020, 06:36 AM)ezdays Wrote: Did a Zoom chat yesterday with Pat. Easy-peasy, you don't even have to install the app to participate in a meeting. The originator just sends out links and a time for the meeting to your email. Just click on the link and the originator is notified that you're there. If anyone wants to try it with more than just two people, send me a PM with your email address and we can set something up. Pat used a tablet, I used my PC, but you can use any device that has a camera, mic, and speaker. This really is 100 times better than a chat room, no confusing multiple conversations, just like a bunch of people sitting around a conference table talking.

I will try it for sure, but right now breakfast awaits, and the grass grew 6 feet after the rain so it must be mowed.  Wink
Charlie
In Zoom meetings all the time with the county.  I use my PC so added camera and mic [built in camera].  Face to face si better but when restrictions and distances from persons, works great.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC