New chat
I am waiting to be let into the meeting by the host.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
I guess we're done! Zoom just timed out.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Interesting that there was no warning though.

(10-23-2020, 07:38 PM)FiatFan Wrote: Interesting that there was no warning though.

Yeah, I just got a popup that said we had ten minutes left unless we wanted to upgrade, then bang..... I kept looking but I never saw tomPM waiting. That's probably my screwup, not looking at the right time or they shut us down about that time.....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I wonder if they extended us earlier to get us hooked and now want money for a longer chat. Kind of like an introductory offer.

Maybe next time we can have a secondary chat lined up for when the first one expires. Just a stray thought that got away before I could stop it.

Tom

(10-24-2020, 06:48 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Maybe next time we can have a secondary chat lined up for when the first one expires.  Just a stray thought that got away before I could stop it.

Tom

I was just about to suggest that.  There are other free alternatives out there that might also be worth looking into but they all seem to have time limits. 
Webex is 50 minutes but zoom seems to be easy enough.  I don't mind sharing my email address with the forum, I don't have a problem deleting spam. 
I use my gmail address because there have been times lately that Comcast has delayed some email as much as 2 days which is totally unacceptable for an email. 

Charlie
Just looking at upgrading Zoom, but we're looking at $150/year to have unlimited video chats. We would have to take that out of our Big Blue budget and I'm not sure it's worth it.

I looked at Skype, seems like they have a 24 hour limit on meetings and you can participate even without downloading Skype.  I've used Skype for one-on-one but not groups. I'm willing to give that a try, I just think we got cut off too soon last night. I'll look a bit further and see if that might work better for us.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Did find this on Skype:

Quote:Group video calls are subject to a fair usage limit of 100 hours per month with no more than 10 hours per day and a limit of 4 hours per individual video call. Once these limits have been reached, the video will switch off and the call will convert to an audio call. If a participant of a group video call is not on a version of Internet Communications Software that supports group video calls, then the call will be an audio call only for that participant. The number of permitted participants on a group video call varies from 3 to a maximum of 50, depending upon device and associated system requirements.

Sounds to me that we could have a few long-winded chats every week and still not hit their limits. I'd like to try a test run line we did on Zoom, but I can't do anything until after this week coming up.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I see that you don't have to have Skype installed to use it but it currently only works with Edge or Chrome browsers.  I have both so it isn't a problem for me 

Here is a link to the web version.  I sure think we should give it a try. https://www.skype.com/en/free-conference-call/

Charlie
(10-25-2020, 08:45 AM)Charlie B Wrote: I see that you don't have to have Skype installed to use it but it currently only works with Edge or Chrome browsers.  I have both so it isn't a problem for me 

Here is a link to the web version.  I sure think we should give it a try. https://www.skype.com/en/free-conference-call/

Charlie

I've had Skype install for years now, no biggie, it's always been one-on-one so if the other person is on-line, you can see them or just ding them to connect, no clicking on a link. It looks to me that there are a few ways to have a group meeting on Skype, and yeah, it looks like it will open in your browser if you don't want to download it. Whatever we do, I want to avoid the embarrassment of having someone wanting to join in and not knowing that they're there. I don't think that can happen with Skype.

I'm just going to have to wait until next week before I check it out. This week for me is all spoken for.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and