How's Larry/ Brakie?
(12-04-2020, 12:40 AM)JaBear Wrote: ... in someways I feel that by asking the question, I precipitated the event...

It's very unlikely that you precipitated it, but perhaps, like me, you anticipated it.  I had a hollow feeling when you asked and was in a bit of a panic to contact him, so I sent him an e-mail, expecting the worst, like a reply from a relative.

The thing was is that I actually sent him a conversational e-mail, commenting that I normally journey to Ohio several times a year, to visit my good friend Charlie B.  I suggested that maybe, once the pandemic is under control and the border re-opens, that we could get together for a little railfanning next time I'm down there.  In hindsight, I'd had the same thought a few years ago, and now, of course, really regret not following through on it then.

I was trying to remember his full name, not realising that I had used in my e-mail to him.  My intent was to search for an obituary, and when I came to my senses and finally remembered, it didn't take long to find it.  I seem to recall making a similar such search some years ago, for another Member here.

The sad fact is that many of us in this hobby are of the age when time catches up with us.

Wayne
I agree with what's been said.  Thanks to everyone who posted the sad news on his other forums.

Thanks to Wayne and Don for your efforts.

I do remember he had a stroke and moved in with his daughter.  He was a very good modeler and contributor here and on other forums, from what I've seen.
When I get the chance, over the weekend, I'll add his work to the Remembering our Fallen Flags thread...

Our sincerest condolences to the family.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
You are right Wayne, time is catching up with many that participate in this hobby. Some, like myself, didn't start in it until they retired, others have spent decades as a result of their first Lionel set at Christmas.

I mentioned that Larry had a stroke and lost the use of one hand. It was quite a while after that, he spent some time in a nursing home, he never said why, just that he had no access to trains and had to use a community computer to get on the train forums. When he got released from there, he did go to live with his daughter and was starting a layout in the basement, so he never gave up.

Larry is among the "fallen flag members" on Big Blue now, and will not be forgotten here or on other forums where he has a lot of friends for sure.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It is very sad to hear Larry is no more between us.
My condolence to his family and relatives.

Lutz
Sorry to hear this, he was a good guy.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
My sentiments echo everyone's.  He will be missed. When these folks pass it is just a reminder of what lies ahead for all of us so take heed and do what you want today because there may not be a tomorrow. 
      There are many members that were once active that have dropped off posting and I fear that many of them may have suffered the same fate as Larry.  

Regards
Charlie
(12-04-2020, 08:32 AM)Charlie B Wrote: My sentiments echo everyone's.  He will be missed. When these folks pass it is just a reminder of what lies ahead for all of us so take heed and do what you want today because there may not be a tomorrow. 
      There are many members that were once active that have dropped off posting and I fear that many of them may have suffered the same fate as Larry.  

Regards
Charlie

I totally agree with you Charlie, make the best of what you have right now. We do know that some folks that stopped posting have left the hobby for a while or all together, others have personal and business issues and a few have taken to use other venues. it's those that we don't know about that we are concerned with what has happened to them. We're not concerned about post counts and member participation, these are our friends and when they just disappear, you have to worry and wonder why.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That's a shame. I enjoyed meeting with him trackside in Bucyrus a few times in the past.
Sorry to hear about Larry's passing. My primary interest in model railroading is operating on a switching layout or an ISL as he called them. I spend most of my time online in train forums on the Model Railroad Hobbyist forum, but try to come back here from time to time to see how everyone is doing here. I never met Larry since I live on the left coast, but enjoyed his contributions to this forum tremendously.