The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
(03-17-2023, 07:18 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Tom:
who noticed the wrong mix? Was it on the delivery tickets?

David

The other inspector. The delivery ticket has the ingredients on it. We check the tickets against the mix design. The mix the truck carried was PennDOT Class A which is used on highway projects for sidewalks, walls, and bridges. It should have been Class A for dams. The biggest difference is there can be no slag in the dam mix. The slag absorbs water which is a no-no for dams.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Greetings, gang.

7 with a wind chill of -10. Supposed to get to the low 20s.

Hope you all survived being green for a day. Only exciting thing for me was to sleep in my waterbed last night for the first time in a week. Yay! Plans for today include laundry and a trip to Des Moines for a train show.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning 

It is currently 31 degrees. A high of 36 is predicted. This according to the National Weather Service:

A potential line of snow squalls may sweep from west to east across
                northern Ohio from around daybreak through the early afternoon today.
                A brief burst of heavy snow with near- zero visibility and a quick
                inch of snowfall is possible with this squall. Road conditions may
                rapidly change in the matter or minutes and travel could be impacted.

It looks like another good day for layout work. I got a good start on the south yard last evening so I may be able to finish it up today, 

Tom, I bet your back feels good this morning. I think you have inspired me to set mine up once again.  

I am hoping everyone has a grand day

Charlie 
Good morning all, welcome to another weekend. Temps here in the mid 70's, dropping on Tuesday with a good chance of rain. Unfortunate, since we're planning on going out target shooting that day.

Can now put my full weight on my foot, meaning my ankle is just about back to normal without wearing a boot or a brace. Sometimes you have to wonder if some doctors and hospitals don't go overboard beyond what is actually needed, just to protect themselves against litigation. In a way, I don't blame them, we in the US have the bulk of the worlds lawyers. Notice, TV ads are still about suing for body powder, asbestos, Mesothelioma and of course, Camp Lejeune drinking water. Lawyers will get rich, litigants will get a pittance.

Well, on to better things, not sure what I'll be doing today, a few house chores and maybe some time in the workshop. Got things to do on my layout, but what I need most is to do finish some trackwork and I am psychologically avoiding that.

Take care, have a great weekend and do something that you like to do, run trains, build something, just have fun...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(03-18-2023, 08:18 AM)ezdays Wrote: in the US have the bulk of the worlds lawyers. Notice, TV ads are still about suing for body powder, asbestos, Mesothelioma and of course, Camp Lejeune drinking water. Lawyers will get rich, litigants will get a pittance.

Don the lawyers have put billboards up at the entrances into East Palestine. Really good for a village trying to attract new business. Might as well say "you don't want to come live and work here because you will die"  Of course no testing has found contaminants anywhere and we actually have some good news this morning 
hellbender salamander  Sometimes the link works best in an incognito window
Charlie
Hello Blue
Charlie B are you a Buckeye? I was born and raised a Buckeye.
Tried to do some train maintenance yesterday, seems like it was the wrong day. With my slightly shaking hands everything went wrong so I quit and just watched tv instead. Weather for the weekend is on the kool side, warming into the 50s next week. Last time out gas was $3.49.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
(03-18-2023, 09:46 AM)sir james Wrote: Hello Blue
Charlie B are you a Buckeye? I was born and raised a Buckeye.

S.J.

S.J. I've been a buckeye all my life. I did run a railroad in Pennsylvania but never moved out of Ohio. Stayed in a caboose to avoid the drive as much as possible.
Charlie
Greetings, gang.

11 and clear with maybe the low 40s and still clear.

Yesterday was a bit of a bust.  Went to Des Moines for the train show but there was a NCAA basketball tournament right next door.  Parking was $20 so I skipped the train show and did some other shopping on the way home.  F1 race starting at 10:30 this morning.  If the weather holds I may go out and start trimming the bridal wreath on the west side of the house.

Had a bit of a close call yesterday on the way out of town.  I was on an empty road and not paying attention to my speed.  Speed limit was 35.  I thought I was doing about 45.  The very friendly policeman told me I was doing 54. Eek  We chatted for minute or so then he told me to slow it down and have a safe day.  Lucky, very lucky.

All stay safe ( and slow down a little).

Tom

Good morning good people of Big Blue, temps here are still below average, mid-70's for a while, then they drop on Tuesday and Wednesday thanks to the rain. We were going shooting in Tonopah, on Tuesday, but the forecast there calls for morning showers. The bid deal here the past few days was the opening of the Taylor Swift tour. Some 80,000 filled the Cardinal's stadium both on Friday and Saturday. They even renamed the City of Glendale in her name. Let's see, the cheapest seats I saw were just under $400, the most expensive was close to $6,000, average was around $700 and this was before ticket fees. Big hullabaloo when tickets went on sale, they were all gone in minutes. Fans would hang the president of Ticketmaster if they could get their hands on whoever that is. Using the average price, that means each show grossed around $56,000,000, haven't a clue what the scalpers wound up with.

Here is a quote I found, "The concert featured a giant curved screen backdrop, multiple set pieces, pyrotechnics, 16 backup dancers, and at least 13 costume changes for Swift." Pat tells me that I'm dating myself when I ask, "why the need for all this background stuff?  What happened to singers that just stood behind a microphone and sung?". Waiting

Still hobbling around on my twisted ankle so I stayed off of it most of yesterday, likewise for today. My motto: "the older we get, the longer it takes and the more it hurts to do anything, but we do get it done". Healing is at the top of the list.

Take care, and for you Swifties, she's coming to a town near you. Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Blue
The Taylor Swift show was canceled here because of the ticket sales mess.
Charlie I was born and raised in Toledo. I followed a girl to Michigan, got a job and never moved back. Tried once but couldn't find work at the time.
Temp this morning is 21. 40 for the day, 50s next week. 
Kids will be here today with an Ice cream cake for my wife's birthday. For a few months I am only 1 year older than her.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Good morning everyone. 

37 degrees here and partly cloudy. That is the high.  The weather service was right on yesterday, we had a snow squall move through with whiteout conditions. 30 minutes later the sun was shining in full glory. 

SJ, I did go to school in Chicago for a very brief time so I was there for 6 months in 1963. During that time I found a very good job, Married my girl friend from back home, went back to work and 3 weeks later got laid off. 6 weeks in Chicago and no jobs to be had so we came back home for good  

I worked on the south yard on the shelf layout yesterday. I got the track down and the joints soldered but decided I would wait until today to try to get some of the minor kinks out before ballasting. I think I will use very fine limestone for ballast in this yard. I have about 100 pounds of it.  Icon_e_biggrin 

Don, I am sure the weather will soon get back to normal in your area but maybe the rain will help relieve the drought. I have a link on my desktop to the  
Lake Mead  daily water level and I can't figure why they don't give it a rest. If the level goes up .01 foot one day it goes down.02 foot the next. I really wonder if the drought is the only cause of the lake drying up. I know we need to irrigate crops but there are other sources for electricity that can keep the signs flashing in Vegas and with the pool down over 100 feet they use 25% more water to make the same amount of electric. 

My wifes monthly get together with her brother and his wife and my daughter is today. She does a little party theme every month. It keeps her active and out of jail  Goldth  and I enjoy the time with part of the family. 

Of interest to some might be this article about the endangered  Hellbender Salamanders that were found in a branch of the local creek while checking for contaminants 

Cheers
Charlie,
Good morning all,

Yesterday was the bsst.  I usually drive around town two - three times a week, just to keep an eye out for RR stuff at local industries.  First time in at least 20 years, I spotted a HD flat car.    Had a huge transformer load, parked in Pringle Yard (UP-Salem OR).  Six trucks, depressed center!

My wife said, that's nice, dear.
: )
Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 33. The warming trend is here, or so "they" say. Supposed to get to near 50 for the next few days.

F1 race yesterday was pretty boring. After that I got the bridal wreath cut back. I was surprised to see that the sap is already rising. I't will probably take a few days for it to dry out enough to burn. Nothing major on tap for today. Or for the first part of the week for that matter. SIL arriving Thursday afternoon and staying until Sunday. She learned about video games (racing, not shoot'em up) last time she was here and is eager to try them again.

Hillyard - cool catch. No Pictures?

All stay safe.

Tom

Good morning all, and a very happy Spring Equinox to everyone. Yeah, the first day of spring and it doesn't look like it here. We're in the low 70's with overcast skies. Last year on this day it was 86. The next two days will be in the 60's and rain. We moved our shooting day to next week since rain chances are so high, it's not worth driving there just to turn around and go back. Even if it doesn't rain, it will be cold a windy.

Charlie, just about all of Arizona is out of the drought except Lakes Powell and Mead. They are releasing water at the smaller dams to make room for the snow melt and rain runoff everywhere else. To be sure, there are flood warnings even here in the metro area. We're doing OK for water, Pat and I cut off parts of an Organ Pipe cactus I have in my front yard yesterday. The shoots were close to 20' tall and leaning towards the sidewalk. Cacti stores water, and these cutoffs were proof and would really put a hurt on anyone if they fell.

Had to drive by the Spring Training fields yesterday, a sea of vehicles parking everywhere they could, there was also something going on at the Performing Arts Center just across the street and police cars everywhere keeping traffic going this way or that, plus strings of pedestrians since they had other streets blocked to thru traffic. I knew better, but it still was the shortest route for me to take. Got about another ten days of Spring Training and bunches of folks go back home after that. Others hang around until May. Maybe gas prices will go down after that.

Take care and enjoy the first day of spring....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning 
     It's 31° in East Palestine heading for 49° with sunshine. 

I have an LED outside light that has quit working so I will see if I may have a loose connection. It isn't old enough to be burned out, but that too is a possibility. 

I got the yard on the layout ballasted so I may be able to pull the temporary brads holding it down. Maybe I can start on the center yard this evening, 

Don, did it require a special permit to trim that cactus?  

I am glad we only have train derailments to deal with. I think our traffic problem is caused by the media and the lawyers circling the wagons.  I am not saying it wasn't bad, but it has been way overblown. The banking crisis may take the media away but the lawyers will hang around. 

Tom, I am surprized there is sap to contend with already with the cold temperatures you are experiencing.  Burning here is a no-no because Ohio has a burn ban on all open burning between 6AM and 6PM  March, April May and October and November.  I guess it's OK to start a wildfire between 6PM and 6AM (who writes these laws)

Cheers
Charlie