The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
(12-20-2020, 05:50 PM)FiatFan Wrote: It's with a heavy heart that I write this.  My son passed away in his sleep sometime this morning.  I'm at his house now trying to sort this all out.  I'll write again when I have things a little under control.

Tom

Tom it is very sad to hear this. My condolence to you.

With my sincere sympathy to you
Lutz
Good morning all. Still reeling from Tom's news, as I said, we're here for you Tom, a tough thing to deal with this close to Christmas. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Went target shooting yesterday. Really nice weather, hardly any wind, lots of sun but just a bit chilly for a while. Normally we're out there for around two hours, yesterday was over three. We both had enough ammo and an assortment of hand guns (one rifle is down for repairs, the other I forgot to bring), but we did very well for not being out for a while. The one rifle that has a broken part, is so accurate that we feel like we're cheating when we shoot it. We shot mostly .22's, ammo for anything else is expensive and hard to get. Think about it, that's about  75 cents ever time you pull the trigger on a 9MM, and it adds up quickly. .22's run us from 10 to 15 cents each, still over twice as much as it was last year. Stopped at the truck stop on I-10, lots of trucks around but the restaurant wasn't busy at all. Seems like ever time we go there since this pandemic thing, they've had different staff. Just one waitress for a huge restaurant, but she wasn't overworked. Finally get a decent cook though, unlike the past few times, the food came out quickly and it was good.

I understand our government is going to send us yet another check. If we aren't suppose to go out in crowded places, what good will added spending money do? Yes, for some in need, that means help with rent and food, to the scammers, that means another windfall, but to most folks, they'd just rather the money go to the small shopkeeper or restaurant owner who is barely making it. Just my opinion.

Have a great day wherever you are, snow, rain or sunshine, make the best of what's given you....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Good morning. Out the door to help with surveying the needs of the community at New Bethel Baptist as the point of startup.

46 and sunny. Pretty day. A little breezy right now.

Yes, waiting for Tom's news.  Prayers.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
Good morning folks

It is 37 and misty. High will be 44.

I did not get here yesterday. It was one of those days. Every time I thought I would sit down at the computer something came up. I had to help my son take toy and food donations to the location they are using as a hub. Along with 3 other young adults, aka under 22, he formed an activist group after the George Floyd incident. They did some peaceful protesting and got in the news a few times. I am impressed by their accomplishments. They got the township council to include the purchase of body cams for the police. The cams were approved about 10 years ago, but the previous administration never bought them or put the item in the budget. They did several community clean ups particularly when the entire Sanitation Department was quarantined due to a COVID outbreak in their ranks. Now the township has a Community Clean Up group that goes around with volunteers and cleans up areas. They helped with a Trunk and Treat which was an alternative to Trick of Treat. Now they are doing a toy, coat, clothing, and food drive for Christmas. They even got the local Rotary Club to help them out. Because of their efforts some 80 or 90 families will have gifts for their children, warm coats, and some food.

My wife ordered chairs to replace a couple we have in the living room. The old chairs were never good. They were always wobbly and had issues with their legs staying tight. Of course, I had to assemble the new chairs yesterday. The instructions sucked. I built the first chair twice. Once according to the instructions and the second time the correct way.

This has been a tough week. I send my condolences and prayers to Tom and his family. A friend of mine from Boy Scouts lost his 90-year-old father. My oldest friend who I have known since kindergarten (We attended school together from K to bachelor’s degrees) lost his wife to cancer last weekend.

Amazingly I was able to weather the six Bowser NYO&W hoppers. I need to put the wheels back in their trucks and seal them. If the weather clears, I should be able to do so. I have to spray them outside, but I immediately move them into a warm place to dry.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Greetings, gang.

Thank you all for your kindness and support. It's been a tough couple of days. Per my son's wishes he is being cremated today. In the morning we will pick up the ashes and head home for Christmas. After that a couple of my grandsons will come back with me to help clean out the apartment and garage. If all goes well we should be done in about two days. After that there is a storage facility in another town that will pretty much all go to a dumpster.

Again I want to thank you all for your support in what has been a very difficult time. I'll try to update more as I know more.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Tom, Thanks for letting us know what is going on. I'm keeping you in my prayers.
Charlie
Good morning everyone, tomorrow is Christmas Eve, got here really fast this year but we should not complain given the fact that lots of folks didn't make it this far thanks to the world-wide pandemic. Been looking through the news and can't find anything about how these vaccines are being distributed in Arizona. They say front-line workers first, seniors second, but never say when or where. I see lots of tents set up across from the hospital in Sun City West, I'm assuming that will be one place to get your shots one of these days but no one is saying.

Talked to my SIL in upstate NY, she said that she's digging out of 2' of snow and more on it's way. She lives in a retirement apartment and still has to shovel snow off her walk and to get her car out. Most retirement communities have exercise sessions, this may be how hers does it. People around here frequently brag about not having to shovel sun, these are the folks that come here for the winter and go back up north when that sun gets too intense. I try to keep quiet about this in hopes that it doesn't draw in more snowbirds.

Well, enough of that for now, tried to get into Walmart yesterday afternoon, bad decision, took about fifteen minutes just to drive though their parking lot and get out of there.  Too many last-minute shoppers, I think I'll just go to the small one with just groceries and no TV sets or bikes. I remember many many years ago buying our kids bikes for Christmas and years later they told me that they found where I hid them long before Christmas. I guess it's a game with kids looking for presents before they make their way under the tree. I did it when I was a kid, didn't you????

Take care and be careful out there.....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning blue. 
        47 degrees predicted today before the bottom falls out and it starts to snow. 3-7 inches here for Christmas. We have no plans so it does not matter. 
I did my final Christmas shopping for the great grand kids. I got them each a portrait of U.S. Grant.  We don't exchange gifts for the older folks, there are too many of us. 
         I got some new lights for the garage that I will attempt to hang today. We have those CFL bulbs there now but when it is cold they take forever to warm so I got some LED tubes to try. 
          Sending prayers for everyone today and especially Fiatfan.  

Please be careful, the vaccine is close so don't be the final statistic.

Charlie
Good morning.  46 and warming fast with sun.  Suck up leaves and then Dr. apt. this afternoon.  Back/hip/left leg giving me a fit.  Tramadol shot.  Sudden flareup.

Tom, so sorry.  Prayers for you and your family.

Hope all are well.  Have a good day.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
Oh Tom very sad news. We have lost so many lately. Condolences to your family.

Merry Christmas Blue.
The Grinch award goes to the USPS this year. Poor planning on the part of management will ruin many a family Christmas.
Most of you if not all are H.O.rs but if you knew of P&D Hobby shop the owner also passed away this month. At one time my wife and i both worked there. His son said he wasn't feeling good so off to the ER, three hours later he was dead. Leukemia.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Good afternoon folks

It is 42 heading to 44.

I sealed the NYO&W hoppers yesterday. Later I ran them in a train with eight other hoppers and a caboose for a train of 15 cars. Longest one since I restarted running trains. My Bachman Spectrum NYO&W 4-8-2 Light Mountain pulled then easily around the layout. I probably could have added a few more cars.

I now have a lot of running to do today. I need to hit PetSmart, Kohl’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, and T-Mobile. Worst problem is they are all over two counties. All are curbside pickups except for T-Mobile. The lease on my daughter’s and my phones was up at the end of the year and we got new phones last week and I have to drop off the old phones.

Modeling, who knows. Three cabooses to weather.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Greetings, gang.

Home from eastern Iowa for a short while. Cremation is complete. His employer has been notified. I'm taking steps to take control of his assets and liabilities. He was single, no dependents, no descendants and no will so by Iowa law I become his executor/inheritor. Next I'll need to organize a group to clean out his apartment. Right now just trying to get through the next few days.

Glad I made it home this morning. Right now we're in near blizzard conditions with snow, 16 degree tempertarue and winds near 40 mph.

Again, Thank you all for your concern and condolences. You are all helping me get through another devastating loss.

Tom

This is for Duffy. Our Begging Bear outside the art gallery.  Dressing it up is allowed as long as it's not damaged.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Good morning all, Christmas Eve is upon us, I hope Santa brings you what you've asked him for, and most of all, peace and happiness.

I can see why a bear needs clothes, even Duffy got a new pair of pants for Christmas. http://www.flattbear.com/

(12-23-2020, 03:52 PM)FiatFan Wrote: Again,  Thank you all for your concern and condolences.  You are all helping me get through another devastating loss.

Tom

Like I said, we're here for you Tom, this has to be the hardest situation anytime, but especially this time of the year. You do have some work ahead of you and from experience, just knowing that you have friends here willing to help or just listen, is comforting. We wish you and your family the best through these trying times. You are all in our prayers.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks, Don.

Happy Christmas Eve, gang.

Well, about 4 PM yesterday afternoon the National Weather Service declared a blizzard. Winds around 30 mph, visiibilty down to as low as a quarter mile, and a couple of inches of snow. This morning it's quite cold at zero with winds around 20 mph making a wind chill of -20.

Big project for today is going to be cleaning the sidewalk and driveway. Tomorrow I need to go back to my son's place. Yes, I know it will be Christmas Day but I figure that will mean very light traffic. There are important papers I need to get.

All stay safe.

Tom