It's our January chat time
The holidays are behind us, we should have all the decorations packed and put away, leftovers are all gone, we might have time to sit down and chat. Anyone want to try for later next week? Like maybe Thursday? Just a feeler, I'm good Wed, Thurs or Friday...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I will try to be available when ever you decide. Are we going to give skype a try this time? 

It might be a good idea to change the topic to January Chat so maybe more will look at the thread Days. 
Charlie
(01-06-2021, 02:46 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I will try to be available when ever you decide. Are we going to give skype a try this time? 

It might be a good idea to change the topic to January Chat so maybe more will look at the thread Days. 
Charlie

Good point, I just thought being in the chat sub-forum would be enough, but you are right, so I did change it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I will try to make time whatever day you think is best.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
has a day been set for this yet ?
jim
(01-08-2021, 11:39 PM)jim currie Wrote: has a day been set for this yet ?
jim

Not yet, but I'm thinking like Thursday evening, like the last time, 7:00 Eastern, 5:00 Arizona time. We can do Skype again, I think the link is still good. I'll check and let everyone know.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I may skip this one.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(01-09-2021, 06:37 AM)FiatFan Wrote: I may skip this one.  

Tom

I certainly can understand why Tom. The best of luck on what you're doing, I hope you get the help and cooperation that you need. The link will be open in case you can make it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I wouldn't mind joining in, too.

Wayne
If I can figure out Skype I will join in. Have not tried it on this computer. The only time I tried to use Skype at work it was a disaster. They tried to make us use Skype for all our phone calls. Even took our phones since we would not need them. After two weeks of nobody being able to receive a call and 1 in 10 outgoing calls working they gave us our phones back. I figured since the state was using Skype it had to be a pos.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Despite having (supposedly) a Skype account, I've had trouble using it too, and don't recall ever getting it to actually work. 
I thought that Zoom seemed to work well originally, and wonder if it began cutting off simply because, later in the chat, conversation sometimes seem to lag...maybe there's a sensor of some sort that arbitrarily shuts it down, figuring that we've pretty-well run out of stuff to say anyway. Misngth

Wayne
(01-09-2021, 11:44 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Despite having (supposedly) a Skype account, I've had trouble using it too, and don't recall ever getting it to actually work. 
I thought that Zoom seemed to work well originally, and wonder if it began cutting off simply because, later in the chat, conversation sometimes seem to lag...maybe there's a sensor of some sort that arbitrarily shuts it down, figuring that we've pretty-well run out of stuff to say anyway. Misngth

Wayne

Actually, Zoom has the time limit of 40 minutes because they really want you to pay to stay longer, declining conversations not withstanding. Icon_e_surprised That's why we got cut off. The first few times we used it, I got a popup telling me that they were going to be generous and not impose the time limit on that conversation. They also made an announcement that they weren't imposing that limit on the holidays, but they meant just Thanksgiving and Christmas day, and so they cut us off when we were talking just before then.

You should be able to run Skype from your browser, but if you have it installed, it will automatically try to open. I tried it on two computers, this one has it installed because I've used it to talk one-on-one to others, the laptop doesn't have it installed and I was still able to actually talk to myself between the two.  Really weird, with a split screen and the laptop behind me I could see my front and back on the same screen. Eek

The other pluses to Skype are, we can use the same link over and over, same meeting, different day, you can enter a meeting without having to wait to get admitted,  and of course, the 24 hour time limit does put Zoom to shame. Normally, after a hour or two and we do run out of things to say, but we have the option to leave, go to bed, get up and have some coffee and rejoin the meeting if someone else is still there. Think: Mr. Smith goes to Washington. Now isn't that great????? 2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sounds good! I'll try to make it...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just keep in mind it does not work with Firefox. https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/08/the-new-skype...[/url]
however they claim there is an app that makes it work.   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skype-web-ff[url=https://www.bing.com/search?q=skype+link+and+firefox&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN#]

Charlie
(01-10-2021, 07:46 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Just keep in mind it does not work with Firefox. https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/08/the-new-skype...[/url]
however they claim there is an app that makes it work.   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skype-web-ff[url=https://www.bing.com/search?q=skype+link+and+firefox&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN#]

Charlie

Yes, I did find that out after a long fight as to why I couldn't get it to work. Thanks for the reminder.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and