Truck mounted couplers on passenger cars
Do you leave truck mounted couplers on passenger cars, or do you cut them off and body mount?  I am talking about cars longer than about 60 scale feet  

I think leaving them truck mounted would help them stay coupled on curves. I have never tried body mounting couplers on an Athearn car, so I don't know if it can still negotiate tighter curves or switches.  Being passenger cars, I wouldn't expect too many reverse moves that usually are bad news for truck mounted couplers.  Advantage to body mounting is for backing, and to better detail the car ends.  

Right now working on a 60' MDC car, and debating what to do.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
You shouldn't have problems with talgo (Truck Mounted Couplers) when you pull them. The problem with talgo couplers is when you are pushing them. The pushing force on the coupler can cause derailments on curves and through turnouts.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
i replaced the truck mounted ones as the car spacing was too much so I used a form of body mounting the photo's show what i did . after cutting off the truck mounted ones i placed a shim on the underbody  then cut a piece of .080 styrene  mounted the coupler box on it and used a 2-56 self tapper to mount the coupler  had  to use under shank ones to get proper height. these are standard Ahearn cars , the first photo show's cars on a 18 inch curve , the second show's the mounting .  this isn't a original idea I adapted it from  assembling a Ahearn 86 foot auto parts car have also done it to rivarossi cars .

Jim

PS also had a lot of derailments with the truck mounted .
Photo 

(03-12-2021, 10:59 AM)nachoman Wrote: Do you leave truck mounted couplers on passenger cars, or do you cut them off and body mount?  I am talking about cars longer than about 60 scale feet  

I think leaving them truck mounted would help them stay coupled on curves. I have never tried body mounting couplers on an Athearn car, so I don't know if it can still negotiate tighter curves or switches.  Being passenger cars, I wouldn't expect too many reverse moves that usually are bad news for truck mounted couplers.  Advantage to body mounting is for backing, and to better detail the car ends.  

Right now working on a 60' MDC car, and debating what to do.

nacho man,
I always remove truck mounted couplers and body mount new Kadees. The main reason is for reliable performance. If you want your cars to perform properly, whether pulling or pushing, the truck mounted couplers have to go. Aside from performance, they look awful. The Kadees should be mounted in the same position as couplers that come body mounted, to begin with. If I can figure it out, I will add photos of a conversion I did. The photos include notes that explain what I did and some gotchas too look out for. It may seem daunting, but if you take your time and thoroughly examine each type of car to be converted, you can do it. Glenn