Goodby Pete, "sumpter250"
Our good friend and longtime member and moderator, Pete passed away this morning. I got this from his daughter just a few minutes ago:

Quote:I wanted you to know that my father passed away earlier today from complications due to COVid. He became ill early last week, was hospitalized this past Monday,and went under hospice care Friday morning.

Please share the news with anyone you might know that I wouldn't have contact info for. He is being cremated, then a navy ship will scatter his ashes in the Atlantic along with a standard ceremony on board the carrier. We won't be having any kind of in person memorial or viewing.

Thank you both for the friendship you showed my father over the years. He had a hard time with relationships, but deep down he was a fundamentally nice person who just wanted to do right for people.

Heather
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
So sorry to hear this. Our deepest sympathies to his family and friends.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks for the update, Don.  Very sad to hear of his passing.

Wayne
One of the few "Gaugers" I met.
Thanks for the update, Don.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Sad Sad Very sad to read this.

I haven't been on this board much the past few years, but I always enjoyed Pete's modeling.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I am very sorry to hear this news. My sincere condolences to his family. I had the pleasure of meeting Pete at a Guage BBQ at my place many long years ago. I still have the mini-diorama that he made for me. I haven't been around in quite some time, but had to drop by to offer my thoughts. Pete was a bit of a taciturn fellow, but he knew it and could even joke about it. More than that he was a solid friend, and very supportive of me and my attempts to participate in the hobby. He will be missed.
It is very sad to hear this. My sincere condolence to his family.

Lutz
Thanks for stopping by Val, Pete got around and many of us had the honor of his visiting. I have an N scale "Cindy's Harbor" car that he left when he spent the day with us. Here's a shot of him resting his broken foot on my layout in 2003.

He was a good friend and a great modeler, trains and boats, we will never forget him and the legacy that he left here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sorry to hear of his passing. Always enjoyed his posts.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I am also sad to hear of his passing.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Another sad loss for the BigBlue family---my sincere condolences to all Pete's family.I found this line from a poem for Navy Veterans.

“Twilight and evening bell, And after that the dark! And may there be no sadness of farewell, when I embark.”
Don please tell Heather I had the pleasure of spending a day with her father years ago when he was going to his ship's 25 year reunion. We chased the local train, went through the toy train museum and ran trains on my layout. I still have two of his Cindy's Harbor boxcars which still see service on my layout. We had a great time and I found her father to be a wonderful person who will be greatly missed.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I am so sorry to read this today. Pete's posts were very inspirational. 
      I was always awed with the tiny little features he added to his models, and his methods for making them. 
      Please send the family my condolances,
Charlie
Many of us had the pleasure of Pete's company, he was indeed someone you'd be proud to call a friend and his modeling was inspirational.. I can hear that Navy bell clanging for him right now. I will pass your comments along to Heather, she will be pleased, I'm sure.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sorry to hear of Pete's passing, I also enjoyed his modeling.

Bruce