Making a swinging type bridge.
How to bridge open areas of the layout to connect and keep continuous the main lines in a way to provide access to internal walkways within your layout. It always starts out with duck under bridging. Yes, here you are a younger person building a larger layout using all the space you have. Solidly constructed bridging sections work perfectly for you. Nothing moves and everything stays in place. Ah, the wonderful world of Model Railroading is now yours.
 Things change! A hurried attempt to pass under the main line has caused a red painful bump to appear on your forehead. It all happened so fast there wasn’t much to remember but the cause, the attempt, and the result. Well, something needs to be done! The information available in layout-related magazines and books all point to one fix, a removable or hinged track section.
  My first attempt actually worked rather well. My 2 track bridge hinged down. When lifted it fits up into a restricted place where no left or right movement was possible. Once up at the correct height, a metal supporting piece hinged up underneath, and a pin held it in place allowing no movement in any direction except slightly up to allow for the metal support to be un-pined.
   Next, I saw in a railroad magazine a gate type of movable bridge hinged on one side allowing 90 degrees of movement creating a swinging gate. Well, I abandoned my lift-type bridge to build a swinging gate type. Now knowing what has happened I should have remained with the lift type. I am certain I can get my swinging gate type bridge alining better after some more additional work.
frank

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Here's another option. Check out the bridge at 34:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXakAMvPrIY

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
That bridge is a pretty neat set-up!   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Tom the Barret bridge isn't a bridge for the average model railroader. Not something that using basic skills can be made. Also, I don't know who Wayne was addressing with his comment, Tom or me?

With my open frame, I did think of making shelving but came to my senses and realized that with every opening and closing things on the shelf would be falling over. I'll back up it with 1/8" something or other to keep my grandkids from crawling through it. They are usually hiding somewhere under the layout. I only easily can find them because of all the giggling and laughing. They're a couple of sneaky little kids.
frank
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Frank, my comment was on the lift bridge in the link which Tom posted, but your swing bridge looks to me to be perfectly serviceable, too.  It's also something that any of us with some carpentry skills could create.
While my carpentry "skills" were sufficient to build the house in which I live, I opted for a couple of lift-out sections at the entrance to my layout room (my layout is partially double-decked).

Each lift-out is 3/4" plywood and each fits snuggly into U-shaped 3/4" plywood brackets, screwed to the layout's fascia.  There's no "play" in the fit, so track alignment is guaranteed, without need for periodic adjustments.

The on-layout track is cut back from the edge of the layout, so when the lift-out is not in-place, there are no rail-ends protruding into the aisle, so no chance of someone's clothing catching on anything, and damaging either the track or clothing. 
The rails do overhang the ends of the lift-out sections, but when not in place, they're stored, on-edge, leaning against the layout, out of harms-way....

Here's one of the brackets on the upper level's fascia....

...and with the lift-out in place...

Each lift-out is equipped with a 5-pronged plug for providing power to the section of track on the lift-out, and when unplugged, and the lift-out removed, also kills the approach tracks on either side of the aisle...

Here's the end of the track at the aisle near GERN Industries, showing how the rails and ties are cut-back to protect them from damage...

...and the mating lift-out which fits into that bracket...

...and with the lift-out in place...

Wayne
Frank, I'm with you. There's no way I could build something like that. Your solution is very cool and should work for a long time. I just posted the video as I thought the automation was cool. Thanks for posting your efforts. I am enjoying following along with your project.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I am always in awe of anyone that builds a bridge. I tried my hand at it a few years ago and gave up, could never get it to land right consistently. I like this approach much better, very clever for sure. Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD