Jim's 2021 challenge
Well April is here and now my challenge is turning into a two part one. I'm going with the sand hopper conversion  thanks to Wayne's photo in other thread.  I have several options as to height, but I still like the lowest one. The first part of the challenge will be to find where I put the old hopper body, then see how much I will have to cut off.

Jim
still searching for old hopper , it still eludes me but found several things i forgot about that I'm finishing.
Jim
well giving up on finding  the varney hopper and ordered one from tichy , i cant believe that after shelping it around for 30 add years i cant find it , might have tossed it but don't remember doing that.
Jim
Don't worry, Jim...it'll show up shortly after the one from Tichy arrives. Misngth

Wayne
What Wayne said! It never fails!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
It's right next to where all those little springs and screws land when they fly out of your tweezers. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
well got the tichy hopper and don't look like its going to work  so i will abandon that challenge and move on to trying to finish my 1930's house.
Jim
Well at least you are doing something. I haven't had a chance to even think about starting something, too many 1:1 projects right now.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
ok here goes . the big hold up on finishing this one has been the front porch columns (see attached photo ) if it were just one it would be no big deal  but having three identical ones  is tough   , so my thoughts are to mill out some .040  triangles out of   pvc sheet pinned together with .030 or .035 rod  , that way the holes could be plugged  but still be able to be separated into individual pieces .
Jim

Attached Files Image(s)

I dunno, Jim, but if you're going to be able to mill sheet plastic, why not use a suitably-sized hunk of clear pine or hard maple to make the columns - that would at least eliminate the assembly process.

Wayne
(05-07-2021, 03:12 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I dunno, Jim, but if you're going to be able to mill sheet plastic, why not use a suitably-sized hunk of clear pine or hard maple to make the columns - that would at least eliminate the assembly process.

Wayne

thought about that as i have some black walnut but it comes back to the same problem of trying to produce three pieces  that are identical , i also thought about a 1/4 inch square rod . if i had a rotating table i could set mill head at proper angle , but a small rotating table is around 400$ . 

Jim
well dropping out its been two weeks that I've been in a modeling slump haven't been able to sit down at bench and work on anything  just sit and stare.
Jim
I'm in a similar slump, Jim, and will not come anywhere near to completing either of my two Challenge projects. 

Part of it is due to the call of other household projects, both indoors and out, as Spring was pretty late in showing-up this year. 
The rest of it is probably due to my incompetence, as I seem to continually be messing-up, with results less than what I should be able to accomplish.

Wayne