Donnie's Art Shoppe
I got a real surprise the other day, I good friend sent me a GoldRush Bay model of a general store. Impressive details done with a 3D printer, something you can't get any other way. I already have two general stores on my layout (think: early 7-11), but I have been looking for an old store that I can use for an art shop. Every member of my immediate family has a business on my layout except my son's MIL. She is an artist and so a fitting business would be art supplies. I have a bit of work to do in order for that to happen, but I'm about to give it a shot. As you can see, I've already did some experimenting with how this model will take paint, I do intend to work on the interior as well since that was included in the package.

I thank my friend profusely, I will do my best to do it justice. I'm doing this in a separate thread mainly because I haven't a clue where this is going, and I hope to at least take some photos as I think my way through to where I hope to wind up.

This is how it looks as I got it, minus the brown paint that I'll probably prime coat over anyway. Icon_rolleyes

Her sign:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That's a very impressive little structure....a real work of art. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Bravo! Applause
Ultimately one of the 3-d fuzzies (bods) has recognized the possibilties of 3-d printing. 2285_
Everything of the interior is present and it is consisting of only 1 piece.

But one of the first and hardest tasks is to degrease the printed parts.

Don, i wish you a sucessful painting of the two piece kit. Scotty my replicator ...

Lutz
Don you might want to wash/scrub it with a warm water and mild soap solution and rinse veryyyy well. Let air dry and then prime it and it should take the paint with no problem.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Just bought a new ultrasonic cleaner to replace the antique that went belly-up a while back. (Harbor Freight had a 10% off everything sale over the weekend.) it's smaller than my old one, but this one has a timer. Anyway, three minutes in it and a good rinse should have done the job. It even took off the paint residue that was on the interior.

Just a thought Wayne, maybe I should have my son's MIL paint it, she's the artist... Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That truly is a very well done model. The interior details are really something. Now you have a use for it, perhaps a location will be EZ, Days.  Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
Don: what do you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I have a unit that MIL didn't use for dentures.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(07-07-2021, 07:28 PM)BR60103 Wrote: Don: what do you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?  I have a unit that MIL didn't use for dentures.

On my old one, I used different things dependent on what I was cleaning, most was too harsh and cleaned off too much. But I sometimes used household cleanser powder in water just to get a bit of abrasiveness, but it didn't work that well with this new one. I got a bottle of ammonia at Walmart for less than a dollar and put a small amount in some water along with a few tablespoons of detergent. That worked great even on some silver and did clean the grease off the plastic. This is what I used (didn't measure that accurately):

1/2 gallon of water
4 teaspoon of ammonia
1/2 cup of detergent

I saw somewhere that you can use vinegar instead of ammonia, I was going to try that next to see how it worked.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Making slow progress, but learning a lot in the process. Firstly, they say the model is "fragile". Well, not as far as handling, but it is around heat. Hot water is enough to soften it, and the second trip to the ultrasonic cleaner was enough to put a slight warp in the interior. A few seconds with a hair drying was enough to take the warp out. Lesson learned, if you have a model made with a 3D printer, it is made using heat, low heat, so be careful....

Second lesson, you cannot detail the entire interior of this model, it's too tight and too small. There are around 300 items on the wall shelves alone and trying to paint them, even in groups, made everything look like a painter's drop cloth. Hence, an alcohol bath and a second trip o the ultrasonic cleaner. I used a white primer and painted a few details that were easy to get to.

Third lesson, details are not separately added, so removing them can be a problem. I removed some barrels by the checkout stand, hence the holes in the floor. I will repair that before the store opens for business. I also had to add a larger hole in the back that the electrician said he needed in order to get the interior lighting in. I concur with that, hoping that customers won't notice. Icon_rolleyes 

Lastly, I sprayed the exterior with white primer to make detailing easier. I took a shot of the porch to see what the inside details looked like, got some adjustments on my camera's focus before I try again, but you can conclude that extensive detailing of the interior is not worth the effort. I'm going slow, learning as I go, but really because I don't want to screw this model up. Nope

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Working in HO is a nightmare, N would be my total downfall. So you have passed along a lot of information about 3D printing. I have actually thought about buying one but I really don't think I am capable of using one but I do like the results.  There are some beautiful Victorian homes available from Gold Rush Bay and some are close to what were in my home town so I have been looking at them. The problem is I don't have room for one. 

I am following along with your trip down "Elm" street. 
Charlie
(07-10-2021, 05:31 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Working in HO is a nightmare, N would be my total downfall. So you have passed along a lot of information about 3D printing. I have actually thought about buying one but I really don't think I am capable of using one but I do like the results.  There are some beautiful Victorian homes available from Gold Rush Bay and some are close to what were in my home town so I have been looking at them. The problem is I don't have room for one. 

I am following along with your trip down "Elm" street. 
Charlie

If you were building a kit, you could paint a lot of the parts while they were still on the sprue and just touch them up after glue-up. The challenge here is going to be detailing what's underneath the porch overhang with those posts in place. Just another challenge that will take some time and a steady hand (and a very small brush).
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The neighbour of one of the Platelayers has 3D printers. I think printing is his hobby now. He warns that one of them is so fascinating to watch that you forget to do other things.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
You are doing a great job Don. I honestly believe one needs to stick to O scale to do interiors justice.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(07-11-2021, 05:53 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: You are doing a great job Don. I honestly believe one needs to stick to O scale to do interiors justice.

I was thinking about switching to G for that very reason. Waiting I think this model would be a challenge at any scale, but I like the challenge. Just that when something doesn't work out, with all those details built on, cleaning up and starting over is a bit of a hassle. That being said, it keeps me occupied both mentally and physically and hoping that I don't screw it up too badly...

Hmmm, remind me again why it was that I picked N scale???? Icon_rolleyes

And yeah David, I think it would be fascinating to watch for a while, what impresses me it the details you can get, even at N scale. I did notice one thing using an eye loupe, there are hairy strands around the window openings that aren't visible otherwise.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and