Poll: What would I do if I had to start from scratch today?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I love the hobby and would start over at any cost
4.55%
1 4.55%
I would dog eBay, yard sales and anyplace I could to get back to my level at a decent cost
22.73%
5 22.73%
I love the hobby, but I couldn’t afford to start over again
0%
0 0%
I would have to start again at a much lower level
22.73%
5 22.73%
The hobby is going out of style, I’d go try something else
0%
0 0%
My body doesn’t function like it used to and would not start again for that reason
0%
0 0%
I love running trains, one engine, a few cars a few feet of track and some plywood is all I need
22.73%
5 22.73%
I’m more into building stuff and would be happy just making dioramas
9.09%
2 9.09%
No room left, my significant other would claim possession of the now empty space
9.09%
2 9.09%
Just looked at my bank balance, got some serious thinking to do
9.09%
2 9.09%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What would you do?
Just was looking though some of the “new releases” and ads in MRR and the Walther’s flyer. It brought me to thinking, could I afford to get into the hobby if I had to start over from scratch?  I ask you all to think about it, what would you do if you had to start over again, would you and at what level?

20 years ago, I bought some brand new closeout DC diesel engines for less than $20 each, flex track was going for around $1.50, cars could be had for a few dollars each and a decent kit was less than $10. I went all-out one day and spent $80 on an Atlas diesel. Today, N scale DC is now starting at well over $100, and  double that with DCC and sound.  I see HO engines in the $400 range. When I started my new layout two years ago, I could buy a sheet of 1/2” plywood for around $20. Today we’re talking $65, with flex track running $3.50 each in bulk. Even our hobby magazine has more than doubled in price in 20 years, and has half the pages.

So what would I do today, could I start over and stay in the hobby? And how about you? Please, take the poll (check as many as you feel is appropriate), and  feel free to comment. I don’t always know what I’m talking about, maybe things are keeping up with the inflation rate, but I really doubt it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My first HO train was a Christmas gift in the late 50s. I got married in1963 and the first layout was in 65. I believe Athearn Blue Box locomotives were going for 34.95 in 1974 but the same locomotives could be had for 9.95 from Hobbies for Men, Standard Hobby and Trainworld. I would order COD. 
In 1981 Atlas flex track was a buck a section from train world and I bought 300 sections to build my 17x28 layout in my old home that I sold to my son, who is still building that layout, When I built the train barn here I found Model Power flex track for a buck a section so I got 300 more sections to build here. Atlas was going for over 3 bucks. I actually liked the Model Power better because it is less yellow and was a lot stiffer which made it harder to make curves but made them easy to make truer.
I have installed decoders for less than15 bucks a unit in all my older locomotives and have acquired a nice roster from Ebay at prices less than 50 bucks a unit for the most part. Yes, I have some expensive locomotives with DCC and sound but my hobby is one of my 2 vices, Food is the other one. 
If I consider the enjoyment I get from the models it's priceless, and a lot cheaper than hanging out in the bars.  Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
Yeah Charlie, also a lot cheaper than golfing or attending sporting games. Someone used my email address to make golfing reservations, and I see where a round of golf for four can cost them around $500, and that's after they've paid their club fees. To pay that just to get tired, aggravated and frustrated is beyond words. Going to a game can run in that range as well, per person. I enjoy building things, be it a piece of furniture, a new room on a house or scratchbuild a structure or a kit for my layout. When those guys finish playing golf or come home from a game, all they have are memories. When I finish building something, I have a lifetime of pleasure to use it.

Would I start over again if everything disappeared? Of course, even at my age, we all need to do something. I couldn't amass the rolling stock that I have, but that doesn't bother me, I'd do what I can within my resources and hope for the best....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Prob would not be much into this hobby today if not for the stuff from my youth that I still have. But if not, I would think small and do a lot of scratchbuilding, much like when I was 14 and my birthday money had to last a year!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Think about this, I could be wrong, but from what I understand, years ago, a railroad would pay for the privilege of having manufacturers model trains in their colors and logos, just like today when companies pay for product placement in movies. 20 years ago, there were still no licensing fees and railroads were proud to have models made in their images. Now, it's all about the money, fees to model even fallen flag railroads. Got to be careful, could be sued by a railroad for non-compliance, or even by a customer that pinched their finger on a loco wheel. Crazy Once the lawyers stepped in, our pockets became bottomless pits... I can understand charging more for technology, DCC, sound, couplers, lights, controllers, and there's always inflation, but the cost of new rolling stock and even track is really getting too expensive for those young ones just starting out or even retirees with a limited income (ask me how I know).
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just a little recap at this point, but it seems like no one thinks MRR is going away, no one thinks they're too old or fragile to work on their layout, and everyone would in someway start over again if they had to. That's good to know. It's a fun hobby, and a darn nice one too whether you like to run trains or just like creating your world in scale. I guess you don't have to buy the most expensive rolling stock, no need for DCC or elaborate kits. Some wise purchases and some ingenuity with scenery and that can be enough to make you happy.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and