Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged
#1
Hello,

it was in January 2021, an age of strictliest and darkest lockdown here.

[Image: dsc03951o5kbn.jpg]

[Image: dsc03952fljk7.jpg]

[Image: dsc03953rrjst.jpg]

[Image: dsc039545fjd4.jpg]
When i found an unforeseeable offer. I puchased this little loco and it was like just a kind of late x-mas gift for me.


Lutz
Reply
#2
Lutz, that engine is just SLAP AWESOME!!! Icon_e_surprised 

I am not well versed in steam, but it sure looks like a Rio Grande "mudhen" , VERY NICE Applause
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Reply
#3
Beautiful loco!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Reply
#4
Nice!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#5
Hello,

[Image: dsc03975zejar.jpg]
One of the first tasks was to remove the old open frame. In 1963 these motors were state of the art, but we have 2021 now. 
It was replaced by an China coreless coil can motor of 10mm diameter and 20mm length. These little beasts are twice as powerful as the old motors. The old gear was in good order and was retained. A torque lever and universals by NWSL completed the revised drive train.
The white board is to keep the universals free of cable spaghetti.




[Image: dsc03977gejw8.jpg]
Next task were the current pick ups.
Because this is an engine with outer frames, i had to invert my usual practice. The pick ups were placed outside.
The pilot got the usual flexi coil and for the trailing axle i invented something other.




[Image: dsc03967hnj7a.jpg]
The loco was lifted to sit app. 1mm higher onto the axles.




[Image: dsc03966mukjv.jpg]
The dog house on the tender deck was removed because i found no pictures where a dog house was shown onto a K-27's tender.
The opening was closed with some brass sheet and the rear wall of the coal bunker was further rearward.




[Image: dsc03965ihj45.jpg]
Remembering the excruciating hassle of assembling the "offical" Kadee #714 H0n3 couplers of my H0 C-28.
I read about, the D&RGW used just the same size of couplers for their Standard Gauge and also for their Narrow Gauge.
So i mounted Kadee #158 couplers in #115 gear boxes onto the tender.


Lutz
Reply
#6
The 158s work nice. They were becoming my go-to before they released their new hon3 line. The 714s are a pain.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#7
Beautiful work on the engine. I've used the Kadee 714's, they took a bit of patience and I welded them together with a soldering iron. Now adapting them to an MDC shay frame, that's a challenge!
Reply
#8
Hello,

[Image: dsc03978jwk7u.jpg]
The electrics was made to the usual pattern.
Here i am sounding possiblities for sound. I like to terrify proselytizing esuits. Every attempts to convert me to the "right confession" of sound for locos will immediately withdrawn by docile missionaries.




[Image: dsc04039u4j5m.jpg]
The pilot wheels were a little bit too small in comparison with the prototype. So i converted a TT Scale wheelset for freight cars for it's new purpose as pilot wheelset by a) turning down the deep flanges and b) regauging it from 12mm TT gauge to 10,5mm H0n3 gauge. The axle ends were shortened too.




[Image: dsc04034vgjr7.jpg]
And then i purchased #2 of my narrow gauge stock.


Lutz
Reply
#9
Hello,

[Image: dsc040408zjke.jpg]
One of the first tasks after a complete demounting was resoldering a broken connection on the man frame. Because of the needed heat quantity this has to be done with a torch.
Unfortunately one of the pre owners has soldered the threaded bolt to the frame. So this spur gear could not be demounted. You will need some cleats to fix those parts and more cleats to prevent accidental desoldering on those spots which have to stay together.




[Image: dsc04041j0jh2.jpg]
Today are those astonishing tiny micro motors available of which we have only dreamed of in long bygone days.
This is a little 12V coreless coil motor with 10mm diameter and 20mm long casing. It's tiny enough to fit completely into the boiler. And it has more than enough guts to drive this loco. 




[Image: dsc0404224jse.jpg]
The fixing was simple here. The motor was glued between the firebox walls after some shimming with thin brass sheet to establish the correct mesh between worm and worm gear.




[Image: dsc040508ij9p.jpg]
The view from the rear shows the motor is completely within the boiler.
Note the cutaways in the cab backwall which were necessary to get the original motor mounted. And even this was not adequate, the motor also stick out of the cab.


Lutz
Reply
#10
Nice neat conversion, Lutz.   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)