Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged
Hello,

it was in January 2021, an age of strictliest and darkest lockdown here.

[Image: dsc03951o5kbn.jpg]

[Image: dsc03952fljk7.jpg]

[Image: dsc03953rrjst.jpg]

[Image: dsc039545fjd4.jpg]
When i found an unforeseeable offer. I puchased this little loco and it was like just a kind of late x-mas gift for me.

Lutz
Lutz, that engine is just SLAP AWESOME!!! Icon_e_surprised 

I am not well versed in steam, but it sure looks like a Rio Grande "mudhen" , VERY NICE Applause
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Beautiful loco!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Nice!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Hello,

[Image: dsc03975zejar.jpg]
One of the first tasks was to remove the old open frame. In 1963 these motors were state of the art, but we have 2021 now. 
It was replaced by an China coreless coil can motor of 10mm diameter and 20mm length. These little beasts are twice as powerful as the old motors. The old gear was in good order and was retained. A torque lever and universals by NWSL completed the revised drive train.
The white board is to keep the universals free of cable spaghetti.

[Image: dsc03977gejw8.jpg]
Next task were the current pick ups.
Because this is an engine with outer frames, i had to invert my usual practice. The pick ups were placed outside.
The pilot got the usual flexi coil and for the trailing axle i invented something other.

[Image: dsc03967hnj7a.jpg]
The loco was lifted to sit app. 1mm higher onto the axles.

[Image: dsc03966mukjv.jpg]
The dog house on the tender deck was removed because i found no pictures where a dog house was shown onto a K-27's tender.
The opening was closed with some brass sheet and the rear wall of the coal bunker was further rearward.

[Image: dsc03965ihj45.jpg]
Remembering the excruciating hassle of assembling the "offical" Kadee #714 H0n3 couplers of my H0 C-28.
I read about, the D&RGW used just the same size of couplers for their Standard Gauge and also for their Narrow Gauge.
So i mounted Kadee #158 couplers in #115 gear boxes onto the tender.

Lutz
The 158s work nice. They were becoming my go-to before they released their new hon3 line. The 714s are a pain.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Beautiful work on the engine. I've used the Kadee 714's, they took a bit of patience and I welded them together with a soldering iron. Now adapting them to an MDC shay frame, that's a challenge!
Hello,

[Image: dsc03978jwk7u.jpg]
The electrics was made to the usual pattern.
Here i am sounding possiblities for sound. I like to terrify proselytizing esuits. Every attempts to convert me to the "right confession" of sound for locos will immediately withdrawn by docile missionaries.

[Image: dsc04039u4j5m.jpg]
The pilot wheels were a little bit too small in comparison with the prototype. So i converted a TT Scale wheelset for freight cars for it's new purpose as pilot wheelset by a) turning down the deep flanges and b) regauging it from 12mm TT gauge to 10,5mm H0n3 gauge. The axle ends were shortened too.

[Image: dsc04034vgjr7.jpg]
And then i purchased #2 of my narrow gauge stock.

Lutz
Hello,

[Image: dsc040408zjke.jpg]
One of the first tasks after a complete demounting was resoldering a broken connection on the man frame. Because of the needed heat quantity this has to be done with a torch.
Unfortunately one of the pre owners has soldered the threaded bolt to the frame. So this spur gear could not be demounted. You will need some cleats to fix those parts and more cleats to prevent accidental desoldering on those spots which have to stay together.

[Image: dsc04041j0jh2.jpg]
Today are those astonishing tiny micro motors available of which we have only dreamed of in long bygone days.
This is a little 12V coreless coil motor with 10mm diameter and 20mm long casing. It's tiny enough to fit completely into the boiler. And it has more than enough guts to drive this loco. 

[Image: dsc0404224jse.jpg]
The fixing was simple here. The motor was glued between the firebox walls after some shimming with thin brass sheet to establish the correct mesh between worm and worm gear.

[Image: dsc040508ij9p.jpg]
The view from the rear shows the motor is completely within the boiler.
Note the cutaways in the cab backwall which were necessary to get the original motor mounted. And even this was not adequate, the motor also stick out of the cab.

Lutz
Nice neat conversion, Lutz.   Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Hello,

next to tackle were the missing brake shoes of the T-12:

[Image: dsc04044a8jmt.jpg]
In one of my grab boxes there were some brass castings of shoes of suitable size. Long ago they were made by Fuchs for Bavarian Lokalbahn locos and not so long ago some guy offered these and other stuff out of the assets on e-bay and i purchased them. Then not really knowing what to with it. Here the puzzle joint together.
The brake shoes for the middle and rear drivers were drilled with 0.5mm and soldered onto the ends of 0.5mm brass wire. And this to the bottom plate. The brake shoes for the first pair of drivers required some creative solution. Here the shoes were drilled with 0.8mm and soldered onto such wire. The wire has had to be bend this shape to place the brake shoes were they belong to.

[Image: dsc040482zktv.jpg]
I presume this is the first time a Westside H0n3 was equipped with brake shoes. Definitely it looks better.

[Image: dsc04049v1kzc.jpg]
There you have to deal with fractions of millimeters to avoid shorts on the insulated side. The brake shoe of the middle driver had to be resolderd for repositioning it to became free of shorting out.

Lutz
(07-27-2021, 10:42 AM)Schraddel Wrote: ...The brake shoe of the middle driver had to be resoldered for repositioning it to became free of shorting out.

Lutz

You're right, Lutz:  when those brass brakes are "on", they'll definitely stop the locomotive.  That might include prototypical-looking sparks, and maybe some smoke, too.

Wayne
Hello,

@Wayne
This with the sparks is true when running on DC. Rather often i made a DC only spark show in a darkened room to investigate where they shorted out.
With DCC is a another sort. The electronic circuit breakers for protecting decoders have a very short reaction time. So short, that virtually no visible spark has the time to develop.

[Image: dsc04108g4j4i.jpg]
Next was making wipers on the tender trucks and onto the bottom plate.

[Image: dsc04110mzjqn.jpg]
Now with mounted wipers it becomes really finicky to avoid shorts.

[Image: dsc04109ghjs8.jpg]
As you see, there is neither a boiler backhead nor a cab floor existing in the T-12.

[Image: dsc041405pjnt.jpg]
This was also the case with the K-27.

[Image: dsc041417jkbv.jpg]
For the K-27 it was an easy task, because i had a suitable brass casting of a boiler backhead in my inventory.
One rectangular piece of 0,3mm brass sheet with was bent like an "U" and the boiler backhead casting was soldered onto one end.
A second brass sheet, this time with diamond thread pattern, was "L" shaped bent and soldered onto the lower edge of the backhead.
To mount the cab interior an piece of 3x3mm brass rod was soldered onto the rear end plate. Into this two bores drilled and tapped with M1,4 threads. With this fastening the cab interior can simply mounted by screws.
The detailing is still not complete.

[Image: dsc04102gfjod.jpg]

[Image: dsc04057jgj62.jpg]
In spring of this year i had to work on a Spectrum K-27 in Fn3 (1:20.3 scale) for a customer and this was an excellent pattern.

[Image: dsc04162smkj6.jpg]

[Image: dsc04166itk2o.jpg]
And some weeks later the same, but this time a Accucraft K-27 made out of brass and steel (the electric version)

Lutz
Hi again, Lutz..

I took a closer look at your set-up for the front brake shoes on the T-12, and realised that your method allows easy removal of the cover-plate for the drivers, and all three sets of brakes at the same time, too - that's some very nice engineering.

(08-25-2021, 01:59 PM)Schraddel Wrote: [Image: dsc04102gfjod.jpg]

Lutz

That weathering of the left pedal for opening the firebox doors is a very nice, yet subtle detail.  It indicates to me that the fireman is right-handed.  If I were firing that locomotive, it would be the pedal to the right that would look well-used.

Wayne
That is some really quite excellent modeling! Brass locomotives really are something else, aren't they?
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda